• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boy Comics # 17 New Thread

197 posts in this topic

the two center wraps were detached. Having two center wraps detached significantly affects the grade of any comic book that is not already low grade. The wraps were re-attached by opening up the prongs of the staple and then placing them back down firmly in the same position over paper still present on the wraps.

So how could the centerfolds be detached without tearing? Did you have the comic in hand before making this follow-up?

This is a non-restorative procedure (no glue or reinforcement). Re-attaching a centerfold, or even a cover, without adding anything to the book (thus not constituting restoration) is something that most hobbyists, collectors and dealers have done many times over. This kind of activity has NEVER been considered to be restoration. It is not always possible to re-attached a centerfold or cover without glue or reinforcement (Restoration). It would depend on the page quality, amount of paper at staple area and staple placement.

Never done it myself...and never heard it done by any collectors I know or corresponded with. Manipulation of the staples has always been considered restoration...ALWAYS....since I've been back in this hobby the last 20 years...

Then the Boy Comics #17 was probably pressed, removing some of the non color breaking defects. There are many ways to press a comic book and this one still retained some defects that could have been removed if pressed differently.

Again...did you have the comic in hand and how could you tell it was pressed? In fact how could you tell any of the previous defects and improvements unless you remember grading the copy previously? And if so...that brings a whole lot more questions to the issue....

In fact, the set of defects on this book is so unique that I am not sure I will ever see more than a handful of books like this, that’s possible to go from a 4.0 to a 9.0, in the future.

Not so unique that the Funny Pages received a similar boost in grade. What's the story there... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

The Boy Comics #17 was sent to CGC and since there were less defects present on the comic book, it received a higher grade. The book must have been later on pressed to its full potential, which resulted in a second upgrade to a 9.0. Remember, we grade every comic book in front of us as a new submission and it is graded as it appears in front of us in an objective and impartial manner.

This clearly was a perfect candidate for pressing.

893whatthe.gifDOES NO ONE ELSE FIND THIS NOT IN THE LEAST BIT DISTURBING????

PREFECT CANDIDATE FOR PRESSING 893censored-thumb.gifNO!!! sign-rantpost.gif

WHATS NEXT????

Actually, I found the term...........Full potential....much more troublesome. All by itself.

That makes me feel like all my current books are not living up to their potential.

sorry.gif

Ze-

Manipulation of the staples has always been considered restoration...ALWAYS....since I've been back in this hobby the last 20 years...

Call me crazy, but I think opening the staples for any reason is crossing the line sumo.gif

And it's a line I'd rather not cross . . . smirk.gif

Manipulation of the staples has always been considered restoration...ALWAYS....since I've been back in this hobby the last 20 years...

Call me crazy, but I think opening the staples for any reason is crossing the line sumo.gif

Who was the first person to coin the phrase

"If nothing is added to the comic it is not restoration"

Is that an age old phrase..or a recent addition.

They should receive royalties.

"the two center wraps were detached. Having two center wraps detached significantly affects the grade of any comic book that is not already low grade. The wraps were re-attached by opening up the prongs of the staple and then placing them back down firmly in the same position over paper still present on the wraps"

Okay, I'm not much of a resto expert....but hasn't a standard part of a resto-check over the years been to look for stress on the staples from opening and closing to check for staple replacement and paper(centerfold and/or cover) exchange. Am I wrong or right about this.

If I'm right ...then does this mean we can all now use the excuse that we were just re-attaching the original cover/centerfold to avoid the resto tag. Which of course will lead to Married covers a-go-go.

Who was the first person to coin the phrase

"If nothing is added to the comic it is not restoration"

Is that an age old phrase..or a recent addition.

They should receive royalties.

I never heard that phrase until I discovered CGC . . . but hey, I'm pretty much out of the loop, just some wierdly private comic nerd who never thought any one else cared about them like I did confused-smiley-013.gif

It's DC Super #23? Thanks for making this my 4700th post.

A B&B cover.. cmon..think man!

You know this

( gossip.gif I hit 3700 with tonights posting spree)