• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Looking for a MAC IT person

15 posts in this topic

I am looking for someone locally (NYC tristate area) who is well versed in MAC's and can troubleshoot networking problems. Will pay in cash, comics, whatever gets my network up and running smoothly. Please PM me if you are interested. Would rather give a fellow collector the job than a total stranger.

Thanks

how many computers?

whats the problem?

6 computers 3 printing scanning devices partially wireless network. Too many issues to list here, will discuss them at length with someone who is interested in taking on the task. Not something I care to try troubleshooting over the phone, after having spent 8 hours on various tech support sites yesterday, resulting in me being very Christo_pull_hair.gif and 893censored-thumb.gif

how many computers?

whats the problem?

6 computers 3 printing scanning devices partially wireless network. Too many issues to list here, will discuss them at length with someone who is interested in taking on the task. Not something I care to try troubleshooting over the phone, after having spent 8 hours on various tech support sites yesterday, resulting in me being very Christo_pull_hair.gif and 893censored-thumb.gif

You may want to call the guy I talked about yesterday - he can't go to Casa Bullet123, but he can probably help you understand better what your problem is. He wears a big purple hat with stars on it and fixes Macs.

how many computers?

whats the problem?

call Tekserve on 23rd ST in NYC. If you are too far away, they will reccommend a reputable local expert. Who do you usuallly use for complicated Mac help? Is this a new network? one thing too: older servers dont talk to Macs running 10.4/Tiger.... that maybe the problem...if you have new computers that cant talk to older ones, even 10.3...

how many computers?

whats the problem?

call Tekserve on 23rd ST in NYC. If you are too far away, they will reccommend a reputable local expert. Who do you usuallly use for complicated Mac help? Is this a new network? one thing too: older servers dont talk to Macs running 10.4/Tiger.... that maybe the problem...if you have new computers that cant talk to older ones, even 10.3...

So I called Tekserve. they tell me no problem, they have people that can help me. So I set up a service call.... the rep takes my info....I give him my address..NJ 30 miles from their office...you would think that I was asking the guy to come to Pluto...I even offer car service to pick him up at his door and bring him back to the city when he is finished... all of a sudden what was a 1hr service call for $175 goes to $1300 with travel time ... still I am beyond the point of reason with the issue so I agree to the extortion fee. He then tells me he has to get back to me to see if he can get someone to come all the way out to Pluto to my house frustrated.gif You have to be 893censored-thumb.gif kidding me !At this point I am Christo_pull_hair.gif so I say WTF and get on the phone with a buddy of mine from CA. We spend 30 minutes on the phone and Voila! problem solved. I can not wait for the guy at Tekserve to call me back today to tell me how honored I should be to have someone come all the way out to my house.

Sorry to sign-rantpost.gif

sorry to hear that. Tekserve (as I think you know) has an excellent rep as a Mac dealer and servicer. Still does as far as I know. I thought you not being local would be an issue, but $1300 estimate sounds awfully like the bozo crooked dealers Tekserve used to trounce with their honesty and skill.

But the cool thing about Macs is, once again, that tech help is a casual phone call away, and running to "experts IT guys" is rarely necessary. Unless you run out of friends to call that is!

was it a 10.4 issue? Its probably going to get worse this year as we have the 10.3 worlds, and 10.4 plus the new Intel setups to merge together.

My hesitation in this whole process was the fact that I used to be MAC savvy when running OS 9.x as I have used Mac's for years and even ran the firms LAN when it was MAC and PC. But when our company was bought out, they switched everything to PC so I started to become less and less familiar with the MAC OS as it switched to 10.x I am a literal guy, so I figured it would make more sense to have someone come in and show me, therefore I could do it myself in the future. I was always able to do that with MAC's as my experience goes all the way back to the classic and 6.x I have used TEKSERVE in the past for hardware issues, but if you could have heard the guy whine about leaving Manhattan. You would have thought I was asking him to come to a demilitarized zone in Afghanistan.

but if you could have heard the guy whine about leaving Manhattan. You would have thought I was asking him to come to a demilitarized zone in Afghanistan.

Well didn't you? I mean, you ARE in New Jersey, right? poke2.gif

but if you could have heard the guy whine about leaving Manhattan. You would have thought I was asking him to come to a demilitarized zone in Afghanistan.

Well didn't you? I mean, you ARE in New Jersey, right? poke2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Glad to hear that you got it worked out. Sorry I didn't get back to you the other night, a family emergency kept me out of the house too late to call you.

Larry

ps

Living and working in NJ is definitely not for the faint of heart, but New Yorkers are very leary of crossing bridges and tunnels screwy.gif