• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 Most Important SA DCs

65 posts in this topic

We've debated on these boards before, but now that Dr. Keith is with us, it's time to re-open the debate!

My choices for 10 most important SA DCs, in order of importance:

1. Showcase 4

2. Brave & Bold 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Adventure 247

5. Flash 105

6. Brave & Bold 34/Showcase 34 (dead heat)

8. Flash 123

9. Showcase 17

10. Our Army at War 81

Great List! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think DC's endless screwing around with Legion continuity tends today to drop Adventure 247 down a few places from where it "should" be!

The Sgt Rock prototypes question will probably never be fully resolved and so argues against Our Army 81.

1. Showcase 4

2. Brave & Bold 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Flash 105

5. Flash 123

6. Brave & Bold 34

7. Showcase 34

8. Adventure 247

9. Action 252

10. Showcase 17

Showcase #6 seems like a mighty imortant issue....:1st Challengers of the Unknown/1st SA hero team/1st original concept SA series...

I've always felt this issue to be both underated and undervalued...

The Sgt Rock prototypes question will probably never be fully resolved and so argues against Our Army 81.

Good point! Actually, I wasn't trying to revive that ages old debate, I was just trying to stick in a representative war book, since it was a major genre for DC and Sgt Rock was a continuous headline act for over 3 decades. I guess I'd now relabel my #10 as OAW 81/83 and indicate that it would be whichever issue one thought was the first Sgt. Rock.

Drop Showcase 17 altogether, add Suagr and Spike #1. No I am not kidding, who lasted longer, S&S or Adam Strange? Sheldon Meyer's series was a classic that stands up well today.

Ok, so that's a bit esoteric headbang.gif

My turn

1. SHowcase 4

2. B&B 28

3. Flash 123

4. Showcase 22

5.Flash 105

6. Action 252

7. Showcase 17

8. Our Army At War 81

9. Showcase 34

10. Showcase 60 Maybe important only to me but had to include it on principle. I'm going to dig out some old CBMs and see what I said 10-15 years ago

keith

Suagr and Spike #1. No I am not kidding, who lasted longer, S&S or Adam Strange? Sheldon Meyer's series was a classic that stands up well today.

Ok, so that's a bit esoteric headbang.gif

Hey, I like Sugar & Spike as well. But its first issue pre-dates Showcase #4. Or did we intend to open up the what-book-started-the-silver-age debate? angel.gif

(Just look at what a similar debate did for the Bronze forum... )

My turn

1. SHowcase 4

2. B&B 28

3. Flash 123

4. Showcase 22

5.Flash 105

6. Action 252

7. Showcase 17

8. Our Army At War 81

9. Showcase 34

10. Showcase 60 Maybe important only to me but had to include it on principle. I'm going to dig out some old CBMs and see what I said 10-15 years ago

keith

the lists are pretty close so far and i only would tweak yours a wee bit.

1. showcase 4

2. b&b 28

3. showcase 22

4. flash 123

5. showcase 6

6. action 252

7. showcase 17

8. b&b 34

9. showcase 34

10. adventure 247

Flash #105 just doesn't seem as important to me as the rest of these considering the new flashes first appearnace is already accounted for.............and, yes a great deal of personal bias is shown here............. grin.gif

My turn

1. SHowcase 4

2. B&B 28

3. Flash 123

4. Showcase 22

5.Flash 105

6. Action 252

7. Showcase 17

8. Our Army At War 81

9. Showcase 34

keith

Im with the Dr. Flash 123 needs to be way up there.

Of course, is this strictly more IMPORTANT, whatever that means, or more desirable, or as often happens somewhere in between??

looking at all the lists so far, I cant help thinking ten is too many as it begins to include lots of also-rans.

I'll take a shot.

1. Showcase 4 Obvious

2. B&B 28 Obvious

3. Showcase 22 Hal Jordan bias

4. Flash 123 We're still working through the permutations of this one.

5. Adventure 247 No matter how low the Legion has fallen, their importance back in the day can't be diminished.

6. Action 252 Just peak at the current DCU.

7. Flash 105 Part of me wants to not include it. The other side wins.

8. Showcase 6 Significant book. Overlooked.

9 (tie) Showcase 34/ B&B 34 Obvious.

i don't get the love for Flash 105. it's the DC version of Hulk 102...i'd take Rob's list and flip his #9 and his #7, personally.

and no love for the single most important secondary character in comics getting her own story, the first instance of a supporting character doing this?

okay, maybe Showcase 9 is an eleven-to-twenty sort of book

Showcase 4

Showcase 22

B&B 28

Adventure 247

Action 252

Flash 105

Green Lantern 1

Justice League 1

Superman 100

Batman 100

From a collector's standpoint (not so much historical perspective) it's hard to top this list.

gossip.gif "Jimmy Olsen"

Being that Jimmy Olsen is a pre-code book, I am sure that most people do not consider it silver age. With that said, if we loosly definded the silver age as including JO 1, my top ten would be:

Showcase 4

Adventure 247

Jimmy Olsen 1 (20 year run)

Lois Lane 1 (137 issue run)

Sugar and Spike 1 (long run)

Showcase 6

Flash 123

B&B 28

Action 252

Our Army at War 81/83 (mega long run on Rock)

Honorary mentions:

Showcase 17,22 and 34

B&B 34

Detective 225

Now some people will say Jimmy , S&S and 'TEC 225 are not silver age. I don't want to get into that debate either, but I think these books were importatnt and are still highly sought after by collectors, and they came out around the time of the silver age. Isn't it silly to say Superboy 51 is atom age, but 52 is silver age, Superman 108 is not silver age but 109 is? Bah! stooges.gif

Tim....you start off very well but mate you have to find a place for B&B #54. Considering the longevity of the team and the fact that kids today know of them but wouldn't have any clue as to Hawkman, Sgt Rock, COTU etc etc

and let's face it this is how Robin learnt to be a man and not just a lurker in the corner. thumbsup2.gif