• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 Most Important SA DCs

65 posts in this topic

Great List! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think DC's endless screwing around with Legion continuity tends today to drop Adventure 247 down a few places from where it "should" be!

The Sgt Rock prototypes question will probably never be fully resolved and so argues against Our Army 81.

1. Showcase 4

2. Brave & Bold 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Flash 105

5. Flash 123

6. Brave & Bold 34

7. Showcase 34

8. Adventure 247

9. Action 252

10. Showcase 17

I'd be tempted now to dump the Showcase #17 in favor of the first Challs in #6. But I'll stick to my guns and use #6 to complete the top 20. I still don't get Showcase #9 though. I mean if DC did Jimmy Olsen in the early 1950s (way pre-Silver Age), then I don't think it was a stretch of anyone's imagination to have a Lois comic several years later. I'm just surprised Weisinger never gave Krypto a shot at his own book!

11. Showcase 6

12. Our Army at War 83 (first Kubert Sgt. Rock)

13/14. Justice League of America 21 & 22

15. Secret Origins Annual

16. Detective 327

17. Brave & Bold 54

18. Green Lantern 40

19. Mystery in Space 75

20. Our Army at War 151

Why Mystery in Space 75?

JLA cross-over ?

yeahok.gif I know why it's a significant book, but significant enough to be Top 20?

Hey I never knew until I looked it up! This DC SA stuff is all new to me. Therefore I don't know what others might or might not remember. Does it make it one of the earliest non- Supes / Bats cross-over book? Also, what's your next level of 10?

GL 40 gets the nod for the Crisis foreshadowing. That's been somewhat in eclipse since the original Crisis on Infinite Earths faded away. But depending upon how the current Crisis winds up, it could re-emerge in significance.

MIS 75? I dunno, probably just a sentimental favorite. For one thing, it is a rare treat to see the JLA drawn by Infantino/Anderson, instead of Sekowsky/Sachs. For another, it is a very early Silver Age super-hero cross-over. I knew it pre-dated the Brave & Bold teamups, but I just checked, and it also pre-dates the first two Marvel cross-overs, defined by Overstreet as FF #12 and ASM #1. yay.gif

This DC SA stuff is all new to me.

Maybe it's time to give it a try! poke2.gif

Also, what's your next level of 10?

Good question, as I've never really thought about it because the degree of importance drops off so drastically. I guess 11-20, off the top of my head, would be:

11. JLA 21

12. Action 252

13. Showcase 6

14. Superman Annual 1

15. Brave & Bold 54

16. Adventure 260

17. Showcase 9

18. GL 40

19. Showcase 60

20. JLA 1

Tec 225 is a pre-Showcase #4 book, so in my mind, that disqualifies it! sumo.gifhi.gif

I am pretty sure back in the day that 'TEC 225 used to be considered the start of the silver age, due to Martian Manhunter being the first new hero. I really hate to draw that line in the sand that says that the month that Showcase 4 came out, is the start of the silver age, and anything the month before or earlier is not. I like the line a little blurrier and think of Showcase 4 as the nexus of the silver age, but not necessarily the absolute begining.

Uh oh, this isn't supposed to be a "when did the silver age start" discussion...is it? shy.gif

I'll rescue a post of my from another long-lost thread.

As for Detective 225, the early Martian Manhunter stories read like just another in a series of gimmick lawmen of the times:

- Roy Raymond, the TV detective

- Sierra Smith, the western lawman

- John Jones, the martian manhunter

Here's my list:

1. Showcase 17

2. Mys In Space 53

3. Showcase 18

4. Showcase 19

5. Showcase 4

The rest don't hardly matter, though for Tim's sake I'll provide a position for a couple more:

799. Brave and Bold 28

921. Adv 247

1. Showcase 4

2. Showcase 22

3. Brave and the Bold 28

4. Flash 105

5. Action 242

6. Adventure 247

7. Action 252 (personal bias, but truly important, I think)

8. Brave and the Bold 34

9. Showcase 6

10. Our Army at War 81/83

No love for Brainiac? It was, after all, responsible for the destruction of Krypton...

I gave him love in my post. I think that he is pretty much the 2nd baddest Superman villain. Also it's a really tough book to find in grade. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1. Showcase 4

2. Showcase 22

3. Brave and the Bold 28

4. Flash 105

5. Action 242

6. Adventure 247

7. Action 252 (personal bias, but truly important, I think)

8. Brave and the Bold 34

9. Showcase 6

10. Our Army at War 81/83

What, no love for......

Detective # 225

JLA #1

Mystery in Space 53

I guess they're borderline....except the 225