• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions for the more "veteran" OA collectors:

8 posts in this topic

What time period was OA considered cheap or not highly collectible?

What time period did OA start to be collected significantly?

When did OA prices begin to seriously escalate?

Do you feel that OA is a mainstream medium that is accepted / collected and sought after by the mainstream (average person not comic fans) population? For example, everyone (the average person) knows what a comic book is and has some idea on how to acquire them. Do you think it is the same for OA?

What are some of the challenges of buying and selling OA?

Thanks for any responses. I'm just a guy looking to slowly creep into the OA space, but want to learn before I buy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What time period was OA considered cheap or not highly collectible?

What time period did OA start to be collected significantly?

When did OA prices begin to seriously escalate?

Do you feel that OA is a mainstream medium that is accepted / collected and sought after by the mainstream (average person not comic fans) population? For example, everyone (the average person) knows what a comic book is and has some idea on how to acquire them. Do you think it is the same for OA?

What are some of the challenges of buying and selling OA?

Thanks for any responses. I'm just a guy looking to slowly creep into the OA space, but want to learn before I buy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1. I think if you ask long-time collectors, they'll tell you that OA prices were never cheap. In retrospect, they seem cheap. But, at the time that a Romita ASM cover was 300 bucks, you could get ASM #1 comic book NM for 1000. So, it's all relative. But, that being said, I think it's fair to say that in the mid-80s it was still considered not to be highly-collectible.

2. The boom occurred in the mid to late 90s. And, we're still seeing rapidly escalating prices on key items to this day.

3. See answer to #2!

4. OA is not mainstream, although I think it may be someday.

5. You may want to wait for an OA dealer to respond. As a collector, I rarely sell OA, so I can't help you if you're trying to enter as an investor. The biggest challenge to buying OA is the price! That, and finding the piece you're looking for!

Good luck,

Regarding a "boom" time, I think it depends on the artist. I doubt that there was ever a time that a Frazetta original was considered inexpensive, especially since Frank owned them all. Steranko is another example... at one point he owned all of his artwork. I know for a fact that in the 80s, he sold covers for huge prices, definitely comparable to top dollar on top covers today.

Actually I sell pieces all the time to people who are not "mainstream" original art collectors and not tied into comic fandom. In fact have been doing that for 30+ years. The art usually sold is cheaper pieces ($20-$100) featuring recognizable

comic characters Archie _ (currently selling a lot of Brazilian Little Lulu pages) , Disney characters. Leonard Starr Orphan Annie, movie /toy related art. Years ago I would sell a lot of minor superhero artwhen major characters could be bought for $25-$35- through consignment stores, flea markets and antique fairs.

A lot of the art that was plentiful years ago- Raboy Flash Gorden, other strip art etc. has ended up buried outside the normal original art networks

Best George Hagenauer (CBG and Comicartfans.com columnist)