• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC "Page Quality" Designation and Importance Towards Value ?

13 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

From my previous post, (need help with old vs new) CONAN #1 it is !!

It has been purchased. Thank You

NOW,,,,,,

Just how important in value terms or buying and selling is the page quality ?

You know, cream to off white,, off white to white,, white.

Is a 9.2 w/white pgs. (more desirable/worth more) than say a 9.4 with off white page quality ??

Is there a standard "rule of thumb" ? The whiter, the better ?

Thank You.

Same price?.. Hands down... 9.4 .

If it was OW/W...Even if it was was plain OW I would probably still take it over the W 9.2.

I guess it would depend alot on what visible flaws the 9.2 had.

Could be a faded looking miswrapped dog of a 9.4

Or a crisp sweet looking undergraded 9.2 type, lota factors go into it for me.

Since it cannot be viewed once slabbed, Does it come down to more of an aesthetic preference?..Or does longterm paper preservation concerns ever factor into the decision process?

Ze-

Generally page quality won't hurt the value of a book unless it falls below OW (i.e., C-OW). In any event, a 9.4 book with C-OW pages will still usually command a higher market price than a 9.2 book with W pages, particularly if the book is extremely hard to find in 9.4. Sometimes a book with W pages will command a premium, but a lot of times it won't.

Sure a 9.4 OW sells for more than a 9.2 W, but other ways to examine the question are to determine the differences a 9.4 book commands depending on its PQ, and address the impact of PQ for lower grades. While I realize there is alot of variability, it is often the case that a white paged high grade book will command 30-40% more than an OW counterpart. Sometimes, an 8.0 copy with white pages will sell for the same price as an 8.5 OW - I sold a TOS 39 8.0W that was an example of the latter.

Not only is it highly desirable to collect books with top-notch page quality, but frequently these books have superior retention of cover colors and whiteness as well. Put simply, they look better.

White paged books from the silver age usually seem to go for a premium.Off white is the cut off point for many investors.For myself,I will go to the C/OW level if the cover stock is free from tanning.I've picked up some VERY nice C/OW books that have near white cover stock and that is the main determining factor for me.A lot of silver DC's just don't exist with white pages although they can be found with white cover stock.Many examples from the Mannarino collection had lower page quality with VERY decent cover stock for those of us who took the time to look.I personally feel that a CGC collector is doing him/herself a great harm by only using the notations on the slab as the deciding factor to make their purchase.Just my 2 cents worth.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Not only is it highly desirable to collect books with top-notch page quality, but often these books have superior retention of cover colors and whiteness as well.

But not always.

As ever, it always best to judge the book on it's own merits and not be blinded by whats written on the CGC label.

As CGC has stated in the past the PQ has an impact on the overall grade, so a 9.2OW book may infact be slightly structurally better than a 9.2W.

Just something to consider. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

White paged books from the silver age usually seem to go for a premium.Off white is the cut off point for many investors.For myself,I will go to the C/OW level if the cover stock is free from tanning.I've picked up some VERY nice C/OW books that have near white cover stock and that is the main determining factor for me.A lot of silver DC's just don't exist with white pages although they can be found with white cover stock.Many examples from the Mannarino collection had lower page quality with VERY decent cover stock for those of us who took the time to look.I personally feel that a CGC collector is doing him/herself a great harm by only using the notations on the slab as the deciding factor to make their purchase.Just my 2 cents worth.GOD BLESS...

I agree 100% Jimbo. My early Brave and the Bolds have pretty much CR-OW page quality without tanned covers. This #18 is a great example of this:

bb18.jpg

The B&B#25 has beautiful cover whites without a hint of tanning, but has CR-OW pages.

BBphoto.jpg

I LOVE those Kubert Viking Prince issues.Someday I'd like to have a nice copy of # 24.Believe it or not,I actually went to the Kubert school for a year back in the 80's.He had a Little Nemo sunday page hanging in the hall.That thing used to blow me away.That was a real neat environment for a comic lover.GOD BLESS...

I agree 100% Jimbo. My early Brave and the Bolds have pretty much CR-OW page quality without tanned covers. This #18 is a great example of this:

bb18.jpg

The B&B#25 has beautiful cover whites without a hint of tanning, but has CR-OW pages.

BBphoto.jpg

Weird. No prices on those covers? Ten centers I'd imagine. confused-smiley-013.gif