• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay and Paypal Dilemma - Advice Please

19 posts in this topic

As I have relayed previously on these boards, I had a problem with a $1,100 Paypal chargeback several years ago. Due to this, my PayPal account is locked and I obviously do not use the service. This was not a big problem as a seller because I had the BidPay option which many buyers -- especially overseas -- used.

Now that BidPay is dead, I am left to accept only checks or money orders as an ebay seller. Obviously, I know this is not a great situation and would prefer to have some sort of credit card acceptance option.

So, as I see it, I have 2 options.

1 - Open a new Paypal account in my wife's name and consequently have to open a new ebay account in my wife's name. Basically I am starting from scratch because I will lose my ebay track record -- member since 1998 with over 600 positives and zero negatives.

OR

2 - Stick with current ebay account with excellent track record, but only be able to accept checks and money orders.

Which option will impact me MORE negatively as a seller? The new account/low feedback scenario or the no credit card scenario?

Just wondering why you would have to open a new PAYPAL account? I know that Flaming_Telegraph has a PAYPAL account under his wife's name and that hasn't really affected his ability to sell on eBay. confused-smiley-013.gif

... or you can manually invoice customers telling them to use the PP account you opened under your wife's name. Just don't associate your eBay id with your PP account.

That's good advice. I just paid for a cover recreation via paypal to Fred Hembecks wife's account.

Just wondering why you would have to open a new PAYPAL account? I know that Flaming_Telegraph has a PAYPAL account under his wife's name and that hasn't really affected his ability to sell on eBay. confused-smiley-013.gif

You mean why would I have to open a new ebay account?

My old [locked] Paypal account was attached to my ebay account. I was told that if I try to attach a new Paypal account to that same [old] ebay account, Paypal will catch it and lock the new Paypal account as well. (Especially since my wife and I have the same last name, it won't be hard for them to figure out.)

... or you can manually invoice customers telling them to use the PP account you opened under your wife's name. Just don't associate your eBay id with your PP account.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sounds great, but I didn't think this was possible.

Even if I send someone a manual bill, isn't there somewhere where the buyer fills in the auction number or seller name? There is nothing in the payment information that links it back to my ebay account?

If you give them the option to fill in the information it will link back to eBay. However, you should be able to send an invoice directly from PP and I don't think it links it. Of course this will be a bit of a pain in the butt for you to keep up with. It will be just like doing business 5 years ago.

1 - Open a new Paypal account in my wife's name and consequently have to open a new ebay account in my wife's name. Basically I am starting from scratch because I will lose my ebay track record -- member since 1998 with over 600 positives and zero negatives.

OR

2 - Stick with current ebay account with excellent track record, but only be able to accept checks and money orders.

Which option will impact me MORE negatively as a seller? The new account/low feedback scenario or the no credit card scenario?

Hi Zipper,

For what it is worth, I don't even look at auctions that only accept checks or money orders. That, among other things, is the classic MO of a scam artist so it scares some of us away. Just my two cents worth. sorry.gif

P.S. My seven year old son chose the graemlin for this post. I am trying to get the next generation involved in my hobby.

Hey Zipper - Can't you associate your ebay account with a new paypal account/email?? Shouldn't be a problem..

I don't think I can do it without getting the new Paypal account locked too. I think the sad fact of the matter is that my ebay account is probably tainted due to the fact that at one time I had a locked Paypal account tied to it.

And it's not like I can call them up and ask them. 27_laughing.gif

It will definitly effect you as a seller if you can't take paypal.

That's what I'm afraid of.

I really, really wish there was a comparable alternative to Paypal. Monopolies suck.

For what it is worth, I don't even look at auctions that only accept checks or money orders. That, among other things, is the classic MO of a scam artist so it scares some of us away. Just my two cents worth. sorry.gif

I know that is the perception, but I really don't get it.

It seems to me that there is FAR more skullduggery going on with bad Paypal accounts, chargebacks, etc. than is going on with checks or money orders. Paypal seems to be the tool of choice with scammers... not checks or money orders. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think you'll have any problem at all linking a new Paypal account with your current eBay account. PayPal didn't lose any money on your chargeback, and they've already had their hand-slapped for this "locking" behavior through litigation. Did you get your settlement check from them? I did - a whopping $14.65 27_laughing.gif

Did you get your settlement check from them? I did - a whopping $14.65 27_laughing.gif

I got nothing from them. I'm not exactly on their Christmas Card list. tongue.gif

They think I owe them $1,100.

I said I'll pay them the $1,100 as soon as they send me back the FF #1 that I mailed to the VERIFIED address THEY told me to mail it to. 893censored-thumb.gif

Yup. 2 months after I mailed something to the verified address they gave me, they contact me and tell me "Don't mail the item if you still have it in your possession. There may be fraudulent activity associated with the account that sent you money."

Thanks for the timely warning. 893censored-thumb.gifing .

Why not get your own merchant account? I mean, if you are doing a large volume on ebay then it would be worth the effort. I haven't used my merchant account with ebay so I'm not sure works. You can pretty much do a google search for a re-agent to get a merchant account. It's about $20-$30 monthly depending where you get it. And it can be linked directly to your bank account. Check out www.authorize.net for more info. Its where I have mine. If you try to get an account directly from Authorize.net then its about $400 but there's lots of "agents" you can go thru. I assume they get some kick back for that. Again, this is if you do a high enough monthly volume to be economical for you.

I hate paypal too. Rumor has it Google is working on an alternative...

Initially Google Payments was suppoosed to be launched by the end of 2005. Haven't seen anything yet and all I can find are the original stories which were last summer.

If you want a number to try your luck I have a contact there and can give you the digits.
\

I dunno what'd I'd say. "Hi Paypal. You guys locked my account and sent me a bunch of threatening letters. If I open a new account under my wife's name and attach it to my old ebay account, will you catch me?" 27_laughing.gif

Why not get your own merchant account? I mean, if you are doing a large volume on ebay then it would be worth the effort.

I've looked into this an I'm considering it. The issue is that I am a small time seller. A few hundred bucks a month isn't worth paying big monthly fees.

Through my work association I can get a merchant account for $9.95 a month plus 2.38% per transaction plus 20 cents per transaction. Not a bad deal at all, except I don't know how much the equipment costs. My sense is that is "the catch."

Why not get your own merchant account? I mean, if you are doing a large volume on ebay then it would be worth the effort.

I've looked into this an I'm considering it. The issue is that I am a small time seller. A few hundred bucks a month isn't worth paying big monthly fees.

Through my work association I can get a merchant account for $9.95 a month plus 2.38% per transaction plus 20 cents per transaction. Not a bad deal at all, except I don't know how much the equipment costs. My sense is that is "the catch."

If you are doing business online you don't need any equipment. You only need equipment if you have an actual physical store. I've been using a merchant account for over a year. Everything is virtual. You don't need anything but your regular computer.