• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detached wrap question.

11 posts in this topic

I recently bought a Showcase 57 and it's about a F/VF. Unfortunately, the centerfold and the second wrap in are cleanly detached. What would be the grade deduction for this?

Obviously, you are not thinking of slabbing it, so what does it matter? The grade of the condition of the book should still be the grade of the condition of the book, with the qualifying disclosure that two centerfold wraps are cleanly detached. Any arbitrary point deduction only confuses the issue.

Sorry Roy, sorry.gif

I recently bought a Showcase 57 and it's about a F/VF. Unfortunately, the centerfold and the second wrap in are cleanly detached. What would be the grade deduction for this?

Obviously, you are not thinking of slabbing it, so what does it matter? The grade of the condition of the book should still be the grade of the condition of the book, with the qualifying disclosure that two centerfold wraps are cleanly detached. Any arbitrary point deduction only confuses the issue.

Sorry Roy, sorry.gif

I wasn't aware I needed to have a reason to ask a question. I guess mere curiousity is no longer acceptable. yeahok.gif

I listed it in the marketplace yesterday with the qualifier. Personally, I think most "Q" grades are bullshiit though. A center wrap detached should have a deduction just like every other single defect does. I don't see any 9.6Q with a 4" crease on the back type grades, why should a centerfold pop be so much different? Green label slabs are just another way of confusing newbies and trying to squeeze more dollars out of a flawed book....and if you think it doesn't happen you are wrong. It was barely a month ago when a poster on here listed several green slabs on eBay and didn't know what "married cover" meant. Essentially they were fake double and triple covers. Why the hell did those get a GLOD? Does someone's attempt at fraud deserve the same color label as a book sporting an unverified signature on the cover? Ludicrous. screwy.gif

Sorry Roy, sorry.gif

I wasn't aware I needed to have a reason to ask a question. I guess mere curiousity is no longer acceptable. yeahok.gif

Whoa nellie, not what i meant at all . . . flowerred.gif

I listed it in the marketplace yesterday with the qualifier. Personally, I think most "Q" grades are bullshiit though. A center wrap detached should have a deduction just like every other single defect does. I don't see any 9.6Q with a 4" crease on the back type grades, why should a centerfold pop be so much different? Green label slabs are just another way of confusing newbies and trying to squeeze more dollars out of a flawed book....and if you think it doesn't happen you are wrong. It was barely a month ago when a poster on here listed several green slabs on eBay and didn't know what "married cover" meant. Essentially they were fake double and triple covers. Why the hell did those get a GLOD? Does someone's attempt at fraud deserve the same color label as a book sporting an unverified signature on the cover? Ludicrous. screwy.gif

Andy, that's a mouthful of ranting, and it doesn't address a single point I made. The Bears lost last weekend 27_laughing.gif

My points:

1. Obviously, you are not thinking of slabbing it, so what does it matter?

This was to indicate that I was giving you my grading opinion not my opinion of what CGC's grade would be.

2. The grade of the condition of the book should still be the grade of the condition of the book, with the qualifying disclosure that two centerfold wraps are cleanly detached.

This statement relates only to this specific condition: Detached centerfold wraps and cleanly popped staples don't really bother ME that much from a collecting standpoint. Generally the appearance and overall esthetic of the book is not affected with these types of defects. They are arguably much different than a 4" crease or married covers (to use your examples) or a clipped coupon (for another example).

3. Any arbitrary point deduction only confuses the issue.

As there is no guidance in any grading guide as to how to numerically consider these defect, except for perhaps that a detached cover is an automatic 3.0, any assignment is "arbitrary" and debatable.

grin.gifflowerred.gif

Andy, that's a mouthful of ranting, and it doesn't address a single point I made. The Bears lost last weekend 27_laughing.gif

My points:

1. Obviously, you are not thinking of slabbing it, so what does it matter?

This was to indicate that I was giving you my grading opinion not my opinion of what CGC's grade would be.

2. The grade of the condition of the book should still be the grade of the condition of the book, with the qualifying disclosure that two centerfold wraps are cleanly detached.

This statement relates only to this specific condition: Detached centerfold wraps and cleanly popped staples don't really bother ME that much from a collecting standpoint. Generally the appearance and overall esthetic of the book is not affected with these types of defects. They are arguably much different than a 4" crease or married covers (to use your examples) or a clipped coupon (for another example).

3. Any arbitrary point deduction only confuses the issue.

As there is no guidance in any grading guide as to how to numerically consider these defect, except for perhaps that a detached cover is an automatic 3.0, any assignment is "arbitrary" and debatable.

grin.gifflowerred.gif

Yeah, I did go off on a bit of a tangent there. I just find the green label and the qualified grade in general arbitrary and misleading. OSGG should really address the issue (if they dare) of grading an otherwise nice book with a coupon missing, centerfold detached, or a popped staple. I think if they said "an otherwise VF book with a detached staple lowers the grade to a F" people could live with that. Instead we get murky and unfair statements like "a popped staple isn't allowed in a book over G/VG".

...and don't talk about the Bears right now. Although I still love the team, this ended up being a bittersweet season. I did hear Jerry Angelo and TO had dinner at Wildfire in Oakbrook recently. What a disaster that would be. mad.gif