• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help, are there any computer experts out there

21 posts in this topic

hit

CTRL DEL and ALT keys at the same time, or right-click on the clock (lowest right hand corner of your screen if you are using XP or 2000).

open up "Task Manager."

see which process is using up all your CPU cycles. close program. voila.

Try going into MSCONFIG and if this program is listed, uncheck it.

It will now no longer start up when you reboot your computer. This is also a great way to speed up your start up time by checking off other programs you do not want running.

This may help.

I've gotten rid of problems with my computer (although it's not a lap-top) by simply re-setting the operating system to what it was the previous day. But, without backing up anything, you'll lose any work you've done since then. So, gotta' be careful about that.

By re-setting your operating system to the previous day, it automatically will kick out everything that was down-loaded into it since then.

look, i used to manage a computer store, and i have no idea what "running in macro media" means.

do you have Word or Excel running? Do you have Macros enabled in either program?

if the answer to either question is "yes," then just shut down the program in question. or shut both down, for that matter.

please, please, PLEASE don't take your computer to compUseless. they will charge you an arm and a leg for something you should be able to fix yourself in about two minutes

who can help me fix my laptop. I downloaded something from an email and my computor has noted that there is something currently running in the macro media that is causing my computer to crawl. Can anyone guide me step by step as to where to find this problem. Thanks

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it so far.

THIS IS A COMIC BOOK MESSAGE BOARD!!!

who can help me fix my laptop. I downloaded something from an email and my computor has noted that there is something currently running in the macro media that is causing my computer to crawl. Can anyone guide me step by step as to where to find this problem. Thanks

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it so far.

THIS IS A COMIC BOOK MESSAGE BOARD!!!

yeahok.gif

Okay, Macromedia is a company... like, you know they make Dreamweaver and stuff, right? Not sure what exact message your computer is sending you, but here's the advice I can give you without sitting down in front of your computer:

First, try a System Restore going back to a time before you had the problem. If this doesn't help Hit CTRL, ALT, DLT... See what's running. Should be a whole bunch of stuff that has to do with Windows and other core apps... things like RUNDL32.EXE, QTTASK.EXE, EXPLORER.EXE, some SVCHOST.EXE's, System, System Idle Process, and some other stuff that should be kind of familiar if you think about what you have running in the background on your system (for instance, I have WS-FTP, so I have FTPQUEUE running). If there's something running that looks really dubious, shut it down. If your computer crashes out, then it's probably something important that you need. Restart and try something else. If you shut something down and nothing happens, but one minute later you CTRL, ALT, DLT again and it's back, you might have some sort of virus, adware, mallware, etc. Do Google searches on app names that you suspect. If you have a virus or adware, you're probably not the first one to encounter the problem.

If some viral program is constantly re-creating itself, you need to get involved with editing your registry. This is basically a list of programs that is kept to tell Windows what it needs to pay attention to. Editing your registry manually through Windows is sort of "graduate computing" stuff, but there are some programs that can help you. I would highly recommend a program called "Hijack This" ( HERE ). This program will scan your registry, tell you what programs the items in your registry are connected to, and warn you about suspicious entries. You can choose to remove their enties from the registry, but you then also need to then manually remove the apps from your hard drive. I got hit with some nasty adware a year or so ago and this program saved my .

Be warned, editing a registry in any way is not for the faint of heart. It's really easy for the inexperienced to screw up and remove something important to the OS. I would highly recommend backing up any really important files before starting your search & destroy mission and ideally, have a copy of your OS ready for a re-install if necessary. If you have a friend, etc. who has experience with this, invite them over, make them lunch, and get them to help. Best of luck- feel free to post any other questions you have.

Glad to hear that your problem is solved. Now that your computer is cleaned up, go download and install Microsoft's Anti-Spyware Beta ( HERE ) if you don't already have it. It's helped keep me squeeky-clean since the time I got stung last year.