• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "UNholiest" grail...

22 posts in this topic

For all the collectors out there, what was your VERY FIRST "grail" that you had to, needed to get, and why?

For me (i'm not a huge collector) it was ASM #252. Why? When I was growing up I would walk two blocks to a candy store that sold a few comics. Every month I would get my ASM fix. Anyway, when 252 came out, for some reason the store didn't get the shipment. After some time, I went to a few comic stores and the price was $10+ for this comic. I refused to pay that much, mostly since I didnt have much $$ to spend.

I stopped collecting around 1987 and just got back into the hobby. Not too long ago I purchased several raw ASM 252's (from ebay, where they were very overgraded, but that's a different story) and later, one CGC 9.6. It may not sound like a big deal, but for me I was truly happy. Especially when I got the 9.6, it took me back to the candy store and it erased my disappointing feeling!

I guess this is what comic collecting is about at times!

My first one was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 first printing. I was at a local small comic show in 1987 and picked it up for $120. At the time I had never spent over $20 for a comic. I started collecting in 1985 when issue #5 came out and so I had to track down the first 4. This first printing of #1 was the first one that I found and it seemed like a good price at the time. When I got older and needed money to buy my first car I sold my Hulk 181 and my ASM 129 but TMNT #1 was my first grail book so I have never parted with it.

no true grail but i started collecting around xmen 145 or so. I went back and starting picking up the byrne stuff which was about the same it is today price wise so was hard for me. I remember the shop having an FF #1 for $200. Don't remember the grade but the guy working at the shop had it on time payments. This was around 84 or so i would guess.

Here's mine... cloud9.gif

1stgrail.jpg

I was born in '71, and missed that book on the newsstand by a year or 2. I couldn't afford to pay the "premium" it commanded back then. It was pretty much the only 'wall book' I ever wanted, and eventually saved up and got one.

Mine is my ASM 300, which will be supplanted once I get an ASM 129. I remember wanting both books so badly when I was a kid and not being able to afford either. After coming back into comics three years ago, ASM 300 was one of the first books I bought. It was a really weird feeling finally owning a copy of something I had wanted for so long.

asm300.jpg

when i was a kid back in the early eighties it was undoubtedly x-men #94!!! You couldn't find that book anywhere and prices were insane if you did see one! That cover was so great i just had to have it! Luckily i found an obscure ad in a comic book or magazine advertising a VF+ copy for $35!!! I bought it and when i got the book it was nearly perfect bordering on VF/NM!!! The guy must have been a collector to give such a great deal --you could expect to spend well over $100 for a copy like that at a convention or a flea market. The only problem was how disapointing the story and inerior art was-- I was expecting something special! What a letdown!

Mine is my ASM 300, which will be supplanted once I get an ASM 129. I remember wanting both books so badly when I was a kid and not being able to afford either. After coming back into comics three years ago, ASM 300 was one of the first books I bought. It was a really weird feeling finally owning a copy of something I had wanted for so long.

asm300.jpg

Ditto,

Was the first "expensive" comic I got, my grandmother purchased it for me when I was younger, it was a Wall book and the first time I seen it I was like "Who's that on the cover?", I always remembered Spider-Man in the blue & red, the shop owenr told me the alien costume story and I begged Nanny weeks for it, I was exstatic when I got it for my birthday,

Still have my copy, sent it in last year and it came back CGC 9.2, not bad considering I read it once a year or so for 10 years before I sent it in.

For all the collectors out there, what was your VERY FIRST "grail" that you had to, needed to get, and why?

For me (i'm not a huge collector) it was ASM #252. Why? When I was growing up I would walk two blocks to a candy store that sold a few comics. Every month I would get my ASM fix. Anyway, when 252 came out, for some reason the store didn't get the shipment. After some time, I went to a few comic stores and the price was $10+ for this comic. I refused to pay that much, mostly since I didnt have much $$ to spend.

I stopped collecting around 1987 and just got back into the hobby. Not too long ago I purchased several raw ASM 252's (from ebay, where they were very overgraded, but that's a different story) and later, one CGC 9.6. It may not sound like a big deal, but for me I was truly happy. Especially when I got the 9.6, it took me back to the candy store and it erased my disappointing feeling!

I guess this is what comic collecting is about at times!

That was one of my big books as well. I still have about 12 copies that have been untouched since i bought them. I also have about 12 copies of 253 with the white rose i believe as well. I just need to find them. My comic store only allowed me to buy 2 at a time.

asm300.jpg

Mine too! It was in the early nineties and i had been taken to my first con. Spider-Man and Venom were my favourite characters so i had wanted that book for such a long time. Most people were selling them for around the $80+ area which for a kid i couldn't afford. When it was time to go home i came across a copy which was around 6.5-7.0 (this long before cgc ever existed so it was marked as VFN) for $30. I asked him if he could knock it and said ok $25. I took every penny from my pocket and begged him. I was still a few bucks short but he let me have it.

It's still my favourite comic 13 or 14 years later. In 1998 i bought the chromium variant for cover price. In 2001 i bought a CGC 9.6 with white pages. I think i'll just keep buying them until i have every copy in the world 893applaud-thumb.gif

The only person I knew who collected comics growing up was my Uncle. He was a big Conan fan. So I'd say Conan #1 was my first real grail when I started collecting. I bought a nice VF/NM copy in February 2003.

1074001-Conan1_NM.gif

But, I was forced to sell it ten months later. I still haven't really gotten into reading Conan (either the old series or the new). At some point I'll read the TPBs.

Since joining these boards, I've now got several grails I plan on acquiring. And they are alot more expensive than Conan #1. smirk.gif

1074001-Conan1_NM.gif.6b84b3263b8518c7784b9d63633ad483.gif

The only person I knew who collected comics growing up was my Uncle. He was a big Conan fan. So I'd say Conan #1 was my first real grail when I started collecting. I bought a nice VF/NM copy in February 2003.

1074001-Conan1_NM.gif

Conan #1 was my first grail book as well. Purchased in 1981 or 82 when I was ten or eleven. Can't pin it down. Paid $35 for it- nice Fine- still have it! Still have my complete Conan run!

acclaim.gif

Conan #1 was my first grail book as well. Purchased in 1981 or 82 when I was ten or eleven. Can't pin it down. Paid $35 for it- nice Fine- still have it! Still have my complete Conan run!

acclaim.gif

I've only read Conan #1, KS Conan #1, and King Conan #1. They didn't do a whole lot for me. But I was a big fan of the movie so maybe I'll like some of the comics and end up collecting them.

I had a few at various stages in my early collecting years. They were all "wall books" at my first LCS. The books were:

FF #21 VG/F - I paid $30 for it. By far my biggest purchase to date at that time.

ASM #97 F/VF - This one was $30 IIRC. Loved those GG-Spidey issues.

Silver Surfer #14 NM - Paid $22. I stull own this one and it was the very first book I ever submitted to CGC. Came back 9.0 OW.

I also went on a spree buying all the McFarlane ASM's I had missed (I started getting this monthly at issue #315). I can't really call those "grails" as the most expensive one, #300, cost me all of $4.50.

I then took my 10+ year hiatus from collecting. Upon my return, I acquired alot of books I had wanted back when, but could not afford:

TOS #58

ASM #122

FF#52

Hulk #181

acclaim.gif

I've only read Conan #1, KS Conan #1, and King Conan #1. They didn't do a whole lot for me. But I was a big fan of the movie so maybe I'll like some of the comics and end up collecting them.

I was never really into Conan as a kid, but I've read Conan 24 twice over the last week. Could very well be my favourite book right now. cool.gifFATCONAN24.jpg

When I was about 8, I had put together a run of Thor starting at 223 up through what was current at the time, probably issue 280 or so... A buddy of mine down the street, same age, had a run of Fantastic Four from 2-up and he had a price guide. I didn't care much for FF at the time, and he wouldn't let me read anything from before about issue 130 (which may explain why I didn't care for FF). But I kept looking in his guide at Thor 193. It listed at way more money than any book I had (probably about $6 at the time). I really didn't have a clue why, but I knew if it was that expensive it must be really good.

I didn't actually get a copy of that book until I was 26. I stopped collecting comics for many years, switching to sports cards and then Magic. By the time I bought a 193, my earliest Thor was a JIM 87. And it was kind of a letdown. I expect that if I had found a 193 back when I was 8 or 9 I would have picked a new grail and kept working my way backwards. As it is, my collecting jumped around and behind that issue to where it became irrelevant... confused-smiley-013.gif

ASM #129. As a kid in the late 80's, I saw it pictured in a price guide, and I had to have it.

ASM #121 was a close second.