• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What were the first comics you bought from Milehigh comics??

24 posts in this topic

Even though we hear certain things about mile high at a certain point before all the nonsense I would assume that almost everybody must have bought comics from mile high back in the day since they were the most obvious mail order company from the 70's and 80's especially with the priceguide right in the center of the book that I looked forward to every month for some reason.......I think I was 11-13 and I bought Avengers #200 and Avengers annual #10 both in VF/NM and I still have these comics it must have been around 1983 or so

post what age you were, what you bought and what year it was when you bought it.

Old valiant backissues that I didn't feel like digging through comic store bins for. The rule of thumb in dealing with milehigh is to only buy when his store has a "sale" and when shipping is free. I've never paid more than 80 cents for any issue from milehigh. The only reason Chuck charges outrageous prices is because there's usually someone there to pay those prices.

I'm like OG. Bought once, and here are results:

ASM #252 (NM) close enough w/ their guidelines I kept it (prob a 9.2)

X-Men #141 (NM) same as above (prob a 9.0)

Tales to Astonish #57 (NM) so grossly overgraded I'll never buy from them again

This was when I first got back into the hobby, and Mile High was the only name I could remember from "back in the day". My feelings of them have changed greatly since then.

Chris

X-men King Size Special # 1 back in the mid 80's. Got it graded back in 2001 and came back a cgc 9.4 with ow/w. Having said that, I bought a few back in 2002 and sent everyone of them back. Will never do business with them again with ungraded books. Considering the price of their cgc books, I doubt I will ever buy any graded ones from them either. Though I did buy their Avengers annual 10 in 9.8 with white pages two years ago for $150 during a sale.

I bought a Superboy 109 and some others this past summer, all graded NM. They were mostly that grade and some were very, very nice. Then I bought some other Superboys that were very overgraded and I was disappointed. So now I only buy CGC books from him and only when they're on sale.

From Chuck at San Diego con, I bought 4 raw X-men KS Spcl #1, 14 Spect Spidey mag #2, 8 DD #43, 2 Nick Fury #4, 3 Subby #8, 8 Marv Super-heroes #1 one-shot, etc. 893blahblah.gif

Bleeding that MH2 collection dry, were you?

It was the other way for me. I actually sold to them back-in-the-day. It was for pennies to the dollar of course, and it pains me to say it was early X-Men (100 to 150 range). Only sold a few issues as I didn't have to many. Plus I wasn't rolling in the dough like I am now. wink.gif

An example of bleeding the collection dry is Motor City walking away from Chuck with a long box full of cherrypicked vfnm silver Marvels. Some of the Mile High 2's submitted came back cgc 9.4, 9.6 but I saved the best copies for myself. I like them RAW. 893whatthe.gif

but I saved the best copies for myself

What? I thought money talked with you? You think you have a 9.8 copy of MSH 1, as the other 2 copies that I bought from you came back as 9.4 and 9.6? 893whatthe.gif

I can't remember the first comics I bought from Milehigh. I grew up in a very small town, so the only place to get comics was at the local drugstore. And all they carried, of course, were the new comics.

So, when I saw chucks adds in the centers of new comics with an opportunity to buy (gasp) older comics, I thought I'd hit the mother load. As a kid, I'd save up my money and I ended up placing several orders with them over the years. I didn't give a flying flip about condition.....I just wanted the books to have and to read. I still remember how exciting it was when that package came in the mail. smile.gif