• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overlooked humor in the Overstreet Grading Guide

26 posts in this topic

I was looking through the OGG and came across some humor that only fan boys would appreciate -

page 360

" Worm hole - Small holes eaten into paper caused by a variety of insects and boring worms...not a deformation in space time that leads to Gamma Quadrant. Most worm hole damage is actually caused by termites, not Jem'Hadar soldiers."

If you are a Star Trek DS9 fan, this is very funny. I would love to find out who at Gemstone put this in.

I was looking through the OGG and came across some humor that only fan boys would appreciate -

page 360

" Worm hole - Small holes eaten into paper caused by a variety of insects and boring worms...not a deformation in space time that leads to Gamma Quadrant. Most worm hole damage is actually caused by termite, not Jem'Hadar soldiers."

If you are a Star Trek DS9 fan, this is very funny. I would love to find out who at Gemstone put this in.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

page 360

" Worm hole - Small holes eaten into paper caused by a variety of insects and boring worms...not a deformation in space time that leads to Gamma Quadrant. Most worm hole damage is actually caused by termite, not Jem'Hadar soldiers."

Did you notice that they qualify it by stating "most".

Ergo, some worm hole damage IS caused by Jem'Hadar soldiers!!!! 893whatthe.gif

True, I didn't want to discount the possibility, after all. smile.gif

I always like books that reward people who bother to read the bits that might otherwise be kind of boring, like glossaries. I can't remember without looking, but I'm pretty sure I put one or two other jokes in there somewhere. But it's been a while, so I'm not 100% sure.

I like to read hidden messages, or clues to mysteries, in the boring bits. (Ex., Comics graded as Good are allowed to have 2" spine splits. My dead neighbor is buried in my backyard. Very good comics may have 1" spine splits.)

I always like books that reward people who bother to read the bits that might otherwise be kind of boring, like glossaries. I can't remember without looking, but I'm pretty sure I put one or two other jokes in there somewhere. But it's been a while, so I'm not 100% sure.

I remember you mentioning this on an Ebay thread when the OGG first came out. The are several gems like this in the back. I went and found a bunch after you mentioned it.

Also, one of Arnold's personal comics is used as an example in the OGG smile.gif

I am going to start looking at some past guides, I have to see if there is any missed humor. Especially Star Trek humor. thumbsup2.gif

Page 349:

"Entrophy: an inescapable fact of the physical universe, and the primary enemy of comic book collectors. Basically, all ordered systems, including living things, have a tendency to break down and detetioriate over time. Fight it all you like with Mylars and backing boards, but entrophy claims all things in the end"

Arnold had a few puffs of the Humboldt County and was feeling deep and philosophical laugh.gif