• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

""Spider-Man"" Arrested for armed Robery

4 posts in this topic

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2006/01/21/1404675-sun.html

'Spidey caught in own web

By VIVIAN SONG, TORONTO SUN

Look out, here comes the Spider-Man.

But instead of catching bad guys, a man in a Spider-Man suit in Orillia yesterday was the bad guy.

At about 5 a.m., Spidey entered the A & B Express convenience store on Front St., brandishing a large bread knife, police said.

He demanded cash and cigarettes from owner Borden Schubert, who was at the front counter while his wife, Anna, worked in the back room.

When the owner stood up to Spider-Man, the bandit, described as slender and about 5-foot 8, went behind the counter and he and Schubert started scuffling.

HANDS AROUND NECK

"They were both down behind the counter. The robber had his hands around my husband's neck," Anna Schubert, 56, said. "There are a lot of bizarre people out there."

After the police arrived, both the store owner and the would-be robber were taken to hospital with minor injuries. Anna said her husband suffered only pulled muscles.

The suspect's mother, meanwhile, insisted her lanky son weighs only 75 pounds and posed no real threat.

"I think the guy lost it and took it out of proportion," said Carol White, who was angry that her son needed 16 stitches on the head and had an injured eye.

ALCOHOL PROBLEM

She acknowledged her son "has a bit of an alcohol problem," and said he had been drinking heavily before going to the store.

"I'm not saying my son was in the right," she said. "But I can't see anyone thinking that a 75-pound man would be a threat to anyone."

OPP Const. Sean McTeague warned that facing off against criminals can be dangerous.

"Don't underestimate the mindset of people who are violent. Don't confront them. There was a true risk."

Kenneth Gordon White, 23, is charged with armed robbery and disguise with intent.

The suspect's mother, meanwhile, insisted her lanky son weighs only 75 pounds and posed no real threat.

"I think the guy lost it and took it out of proportion," said Carol White, who was angry that her son needed 16 stitches on the head and had an injured eye.

"I'm not saying my son was in the right," she said. "But I can't see anyone thinking that a 75-pound man would be a threat to anyone."

First of all, I find it hard to believe a 23 year old, 5'8" man only weighs 75 pounds.

Second of all, the guy was trying to rob the store at knife-point and went behind the counter and attacked the guy. The store owner should have shot him.

Then the cops should have [@#!$%]-slapped his mother for being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

This is Canada, and only the bad guys have guns. That excuse for a mother is pretty ignorant to the world around her, another blame everybody but her child. Luckily he didn't end up stabbing the store owner, although "whats the big deal, he didn't hit a major artery?" would have helped her look even more intelligant. Are they sure it was his mother though....and not his Aunt? smile.gif

Jim