• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underground Comix Original Art WANTED

4 posts in this topic

I'm interested in sharing a footnote in history about some unusual original art by Rory Hayes that he traded me (for a couple of ECs) in 1970.

Pardon the slang word - a pretty vulgar choice for a title, and probably why they never published a second issue.

I don't remember where the pages went. I didn't have the art for more than a few months.

Yet the art the cover and 1 complete (possibly 2) stories to the unpublished [embarrassing lack of self control] Comics #2 did exist - no question. Have the pages survived?

Rory was a gentle soul. I liked his art, especially his lettering!

I traded an original 2 page story I had by Rory to Don Donahue about 12 years ago, "Last Hit".

I still have the ditto zines I put out in 1970 that have 2 pages by Rory Hayes, and a cover by Art Spiegelman & Jay Lynch.

H. Greene sent me a nice reply.

Mainly after seeing my blog in depth about underground comix I self-published in 1969...

Comix artist Rory Hayes was among the contributors. Also in 1970, Art Spiegelman and Jay Lynch

contributed a cover. Check 'em out at:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/kenkaffkegoldengate/_wsn/page5.html

There you'll find much more "embarrasing lack of self-control", as the moderator kindly put it.

Sorry about the attempt herein above to use the actual title if the underground comix by Rory Hayes...

As my blog in-depth mentions, 4 letter words had the power to shock friends and I when we were first exposed to Zap...

The tie-in between the comics code, censorship, and freedom of speech came together in a moment when those things meant a lot...

Kirby to Kurtzman to Crumb - a straight or bent, line.

I went from conservative to liberal, or from reactionary to revolutionary if you will...