• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-2 Who's seen it? Spoiler!!!

92 posts in this topic

>>Maybe you should have some of your friends come on the board and have a discussion with me about the "lack of story".

It looks like I stepped on a slavering X-Boy's little toes with that one. Sorry sonny. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Excellent effects, action and visual flair, but no real story to speak of.

This I can't wait to hear. Are your friends deaf, did they bother paying attention to the movie? Or were they just looking at all the pretty effects? No story, give me a break. While it's no oscar winning film it most definitely has a story and a coherent one at that. Every part of the film furthers the larger plot lines of the X franchise. Maybe you should have some of your friends come on the board and have a discussion with me about the "lack of story".

And P.S. I'm just joking around.

The first X-Men movie didn't have a real story to it, just a bunch of fight scenes and a ton of characters running around. I think that's a natural by-product of a huge cast, that you can't really allot too much time to a standard arc, given the 2-hour time limit.

And by "story" I don't mean a screenplay, but taking X2, distilling it down to 500 words or so, telling it to some kids and getting a very positive reaction. Think C-3PO giving the Ewoks the low-down on the original SW movie, which was kind of an in-joke of kinds.

I couldn't do that with the original X-Men movie, but I certainly could with Spider-man.

That's kind of what I meant, as it's pretty easy to see where it's going based on pre-release info. The problem is that while the average movie-goer is impressed with the overall experience, there doesn't seem to be any self-contained beginning-middle-end story to this movie.

Right, the only real "marker" that there is an actual CONTAINED story happening is the Stryker mess: Bad Guy comes along, Bad Guy does Bad Stuff, Bad Guy gets his in the end? It's everything else that happens AROUND that central story that makes the movie so remarkable, IMO. It almost feels like an episode from a TV series in the way events that are apparently unrelated to the "disaster of the week" clearly must be leading to things to come.

Again, very cool... and Joe, I don't think you'll be disappointed! wink.gif Just make sure you see it during a high-traffic time! That was so great seeing the movie with a bunch of people who were just TOTALLY geeked-out about it and were cheering and clapping... what a fun experience!

While admittedly I'm an X-Men fan, "slavering X-boy" has nothing to do with it. I'm the first person to admit that the first X-Men was not all that good. Entertaining enough but could have been much better. I know a good movie when I see it and am willing to defend my position especially when I hear ridiculuosly assinine comments like "great visually but it had no story".

You're absolutely correct, and the exact words were actually:

"great visually but it had no SELF-CONTAINED story".

As in a guy who was frozen in 1940 waking up, going to see X2, and then asked what the story was and how he liked it.

Right, the only real "marker" that there is an actual CONTAINED story happening is the Stryker mess: Bad Guy comes along, Bad Guy does Bad Stuff, Bad Guy gets his in the end? It's everything else that happens AROUND that central story that makes the movie so remarkable, IMO. It almost feels like an episode from a TV series in the way events that are apparently unrelated to the "disaster of the week" clearly must be leading to things to come.

Like I said, everything in the movie furthers plot lines that are to come and ones that are being played out in the movie itself.

>>It almost feels like an episode from a TV series in the way events that are apparently unrelated to the "disaster of the week" clearly must be leading to things to come.

That about covers what I've heard to a "T".

Noone said that a sequel could not draw on its predecessor as set up(see Lord Of The Rings). If they had to reset everything in this movie so that "someone waking up from 1942" could go see it and understand everything they would spend half the movie in explaining things that are assumed you should know if you saw the first movie. Time much better spent furthuring the character development and story of this movie.

>>Noone said that a sequel could not draw on its predecessor as set up(see Lord Of The Rings).

I'm glad you brought this up, as it's a very recent trend, and very rare in original works. Everyone forgets that Star Wars was a totally self-contained story and could have stood up easily if no sequel was ever made. And Tolkien's LOTR has been around for almost 40 years, and has a huge built-in audience that understands the existing trilogy.

To do so with X-Men is probably relatively safe, since there are enough old comic readers that know the basic story and can fill in the blanks.

Then again... this whole "a movie doesn't need to be a movie" idea started up was with Phantom Menace, and is likely the worst high-budget non-movie ever made.

By the way, I saw some pictures of the X-Men RPG (video game) in some little video game magazine (MUCH more coverage than what stupid ol' Wizard gave it), and it looks absolutely awesome! Can't wait for that one... and I don't hardly play video games! harharhar

By the way, I saw some pictures of the X-Men RPG (video game) in some little video game magazine (MUCH more coverage than what stupid ol' Wizard gave it), and it looks absolutely awesome! Can't wait for that one... and I don't hardly play video games! harharhar

PC or Cart?

Sprite a.k.a. Kitty Pryde is one of the kids in the school scene.

Who was the kid that had the forked snake like tongue?

Who was the kid that doesn't sleep and could change TV channels with his mind?.... Franklin Richards?

Anyone want to bet Bobbie's brother has mutant powers also.

Think we'll see more of Hank McCoy in the next X-MEN movie?

Are you all sure that is PHOENIX. Maybe its the shadow of ANGEL. Him and BEAST haven't been shown yet. Could be ANGEL rescues her. But then they probably would of saw that from the jet. Ya its probably Phoenix, but I'd sooner see more of Jane as MARVEL GIRL.

It's not all that recent. Obviously LOTR takes it to a whole new level. But Terminator and T2 used that approach. Could you see T2 without the first and enjoy it, absolutely. Would you get the full story, NO. Same thing with X2. It makes a lot more sense if you have seen the first but I don't think you would be so lost that you wouldn't enjoy this if you hadn't.

PC or Cart?

I think it's mainly being geared for XBox/PS2 (it was a PS2 mag that I saw it in, I think)... but almost all games go to platforms as well as PCs any more. So no worries for you "grown-ups" that don't have systems at home! wink.gif

X2 was gripping right up to the last frame. I was squinting to make out the firebird/Phoenix in the water but the ripples on the surface distorted it too much. Still an incredible lead up to X-men 101 storyline.

Some ppl who don't collect comics said Nightcrawler's bamphing & the battle royal between Lady Deathstrike & Wolverine was better than any fx 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthey saw in Matrix 1. High praise indeed.

Thanks again for providing us with your opinions - which are invaluable - even though you haven't seen it yet. What a laugh - "I haven't seen it yet but that won't stop me from telling you what's wrong with it!" I thought it did have a story as much as most action oriented flicks have. And the first Star Wars , self contained - hardly. We had no idea of Luke's father or background or potential let alone the fate of the Empire/ Rebellion after the first - the first was a movie that set it all up but no answers. Star Wars is supposed to be the saga of Skywalker and the first movie didn't dig too deep into that now did it? Story for this movie? Stryker setting up a war between mutants and muggles seems good enough.

>>And the first Star Wars , self contained - hardly.

I always knew it, but this statement confirms you have absolutely no clue. Star Wars was a classic (some would say cliche?) movie structure that has been done a thousand times before SW and a few hundred after.

It's even used in college film classes to illustrate how to create an engaging and innovative story from the most basic building blocks.

Definite beginning, middle and end, and I feel sorry for you if you can't see this.

Well I really feel sorry for you too - having to continually spew your half baked conspiracy theories, henny penny happenings, and generally negative thinking here. Have you no one else to impress with your drabness than us? Do you live somewhere where it rains all the time? Is the only Joy in your life a dish washing liquid? Go see the movie and maybe that will lend an ounce of credibility to your babbling.