• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

Seems like he's getting hammered on and on. From what I gather, this happened 6 years ago. the "referee" said(if I understand what I read correctly) that Doug was guilty of being ignorant and not necessarily dishonest. Bottom line is, would you send him your books? He has many of mine both on consignment and one's I've paid for. I'm perfectly comfortable doing business with him. i have no fear he'll rip me off and plan to continue to buy and sell from him. Compared to what I've seen over the past 35 years in comics, getting disbarred is no big deal. He's not trimming books or using multiple aliases or restoring books and not telling ot simply ripping off customers. I could go on. You all know many people much more disreputable than Doug. Anyone actually going to stop doing business with him over this?

keith

Nice moral relativity too yeahok.gif

Let me rephrase, getting disbarred from the legal profession as practiced in the US probably should be viewed as a good thing. As to Doug trying to sell trimmed books knowingly thru Heritage, it's news to me.

keith

He's not trimming books or using multiple aliases or restoring books and not telling ot simply ripping off customers. I could go on

Go read the Trim JIM thread. In there you will find that Doug knowingly resubmitted a know trimmed book to CGC and then tried to foist it on an unsuspecting public via Heritage, not his own website.

So, is he not ripping off customers? He might not of trimmed it, but it sure does seem that he knew that it was trimmed.

For the record, Doug does claim that he forgot that that JIM 92 was the one that Brent alerted to him previously. He called me this afternoon and was very adamant about that fact. As soon as Brent alerted him that the book on Heritage was the same book in question, he called Ed Jaster and had it pulled.

Red

He's not trimming books or using multiple aliases or restoring books and not telling ot simply ripping off customers. I could go on

Go read the Trim JIM thread. In there you will find that Doug knowingly resubmitted a know trimmed book to CGC and then tried to foist it on an unsuspecting public via Heritage, not his own website.

So, is he not ripping off customers? He might not of trimmed it, but it sure does seem that he knew that it was trimmed.

For the record, Doug does claim that he forgot that that JIM 92 was the one that Brent alerted to him previously. He called me this afternoon and was very adamant about that fact. As soon as Brent alerted him that the book on Heritage was the same book in question, he called Ed Jaster and had it pulled.

Red

I guess it comes down to who you believe.

As to Doug trying to sell trimmed books knowingly thru Heritage, it's news to me.

keith

Keith, just a suggestion...

Get your facts straight and bring yourself up to date before laying down opinions and ripping us new ones, OK?

Something that I might not always practice, but would always recommended! thumbsup2.gif

And FYI, I stated it early in the week, and I'll reiterate it now...I will not purchase from Doug again...not now, not in the future. He's joined my 'blocked seller' list, along with a number of other 'names'.

So put me down as the 1st(?) in that camp, 'kay?

Yes, although I think you can believe both versions of the facts. Brent said Doug told him the same thing....that amidst the thousands of books that go through his hands he lost track of that particular book and the questions that had been raised about it. It's whether you choose to believe Doug's interpretation or not, which coming on the heels of the disbarment information is harder to defend.

Red

Let me rephrase, getting disbarred from the legal profession as practiced in the US probably should be viewed as a good thing

Yeah, i think its a helluva thing for a guy to take money from a boat load of clients and then be forced with litigation before he repays it.

If our legal system is so bad, pray tell us why the system where you are is better.

A nice STFU wouldnt be bad either.

Yes, although I think you can believe both versions of the facts. Brent said Doug told him the same thing....that amidst the thousands of books that go through his hands he lost track of that particular book and the questions that had been raised about it. It's whether you choose to believe Doug's interpretation or not, which coming on the heels of the disbarment information is harder to defend.

Red

Fair enough, and what I was just getting around to thinking myself.

give a guy 4000 posts and look what happens....thinks he's got a monoploy on life

acclaim.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

flowerred.gif

hail.gif

humility is a great virtue. thumbsup2.gif

Ive got it by the boatload! gossip.gif

27_laughing.gif

Seems like he's getting hammered on and on. From what I gather, this happened 6 years ago. the "referee" said(if I understand what I read correctly) that Doug was guilty of being ignorant and not necessarily dishonest. Bottom line is, would you send him your books? He has many of mine both on consignment and one's I've paid for. I'm perfectly comfortable doing business with him. i have no fear he'll rip me off and plan to continue to buy and sell from him. Compared to what I've seen over the past 35 years in comics, getting disbarred is no big deal. He's not trimming books or using multiple aliases or restoring books and not telling ot simply ripping off customers. I could go on. You all know many people much more disreputable than Doug. Anyone actually going to stop doing business with him over this?

keith

Let me rephrase, getting disbarred from the legal profession as practiced in the US probably should be viewed as a good thing. As to Doug trying to sell trimmed books knowingly thru Heritage, it's news to me.

keith

You know how there are those people who hardly ever speak, but then when they do, it's something very thought out and intelligent?

Well Kieth, you're NOT one of those people.

keith

keith

You know how there are those people who hardly ever speak, but then when they do, it's something very thought out and intelligent?

Well Kieth, you're NOT one of those people.

sign-funnypost.gif

Red

When Doug and I talked, he said how do I know the book has been trimmed? and then said CGC gave it a clean bill of health twice. Then he said, I guess if the guys (and I think he mentioned a few forum names) from the boards see that it's been trimmed then it needs to be pulled right away.

My interpretation of that is that my opinion along with the scans originally, wasn't sufficient to warrant pulling the book, it took the consensus of the CGC forum to get this book pulled. So for all it's faults, the forum did a great favor to the comic community and that was get a Ewert book out of circulation, hopefully forever. thumbsup2.gif

My interpretation of that is that my opinion along with the scans originally, wasn't sufficient to warrant pulling the book, it took the consensus of the CGC forum to get this book pulled. So for all it's faults, the forum did a great favor to the comic community and that was get a Ewert book out of circulation, hopefully forever.
thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gif