• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who here collects "lesser known" artists?

12 posts in this topic

I see all of these kickin' pieces on this site of great artists or important issues and all that. But does anyone here collect lesser known artists? Maybe artists who have potential to hit the big time in their future? Or maybe art from indie books that aren't mainstream?

firstly, I think the boards on CAF primarily bring out the cream of the collections and some collectors don't scan every single page they have/get.

I collect art from many artists I don't think are considered "big time" and have no idea if they ever will be considered such. Some artists works in my collection include:

1)James LeMay (does super hot, clean art, but I've never seen him on anyones top 10)

2) Devon Massey (has a niche following)

3)Kanah Fuller (inks alot for Massey)

4) Dorian Cleavenger (VERY inovative and definitely doesn't get the attention he deserves. But that keeps his paintings cheap, which is good for me)

5)all the art in my Best of 2005 Lowery collection apparently by the number of votes I've got makepoint.gif

Yep, I have an Yvel Guichet page on the way (who is Yvel Guichet anyways?) but the art was pretty appealing to me. Also another page on the way is a page from Young Justice #1, that I still don't know who the artist is but the page was nice.

I guess the nice thing about lesser known artists is that they're art is generally cheap.

I think it's great that you guys are going after what you like. However, make sure that you don't just buy a page because it's cheap. It may be hard to get rid of later when your tastes change.

Think... who's your favorite artist? If you can't afford a cover, a splash or even a panel page, you could certainly afford a sketch, prelim, etc. of almost any artist going. Even a small Alex Ross prelim wouldn't break the bank.

We have touched upon this and I have one piece from Josh Medors (works for Image) and another one coming from Brad Green (independent press) - you get more art for your dolar, no question about it...and with so little invested, it's a small risk...

But does anyone here collect lesser known artists? Maybe artists who have potential to hit the big time in their future?

How about unknown totally unpublished artists?

I met Wade Furlong at WW Chicago last year. He is still an art student in New York. I had him take on my Ed Gorey Gashlycrumb Tinies Themed Sketchbook..

This is what he created..

http://www.hulk-smash.com/images/Gorey/FurlongCoverFull.JPG

That is his version of the front cover.

I am commissioning him to re-do the entire book in his style. Very young guy, still learning but enormously talented. headbang.gif

Chris Caira

Crossposted from another thread but I bought this piece because I liked the subject matter (werewolves) and the layout, not because of the artist. My 2nd venture into OA. Since I'm into horror titles and monsters I couldn't pass this page up that has roughly 27+ werewolves on it! It's an Unexpected page by Jess Jodloman from a story entitled "Moonlight and Laughter". As a bonus it includes Madame Xanadu in two panels!

1069642-Unexpected%23194Page21.jpg

But does anyone here collect lesser known artists? Maybe artists who have potential to hit the big time in their future?

I met Wade Furlong at WW Chicago last year. He is still an art student in New York. I had him take on my Ed Gorey Gashlycrumb Tinies Themed Sketchbook..

I am commissioning him to re-do the entire book in his style. Very young guy, still learning but enormously talented. headbang.gif

Chris Caira

Now that is a cool piece of art!

Guess this thread could just be about collecting OA you like instead of basing it on potential resale and whatnot.

One problem with the lighter price tag is that they are easier to buy. Sure, it might be a great piece you're looking to buy, but it's so easy to suddenly have a large number of OA but have no where to appreciate them.

Chris Caira

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifflowerred.gif

I'd buy any page that features the Goblin, I prefer Andru but Saviuk and others are fine by me. At first I was only going to collect vintage work, but I thought it might be interesting and different to collect anybodys interpretation of ole Gobby. Makes an interesting cross section.

Jim