• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I believe that the comic market will never crash

190 posts in this topic

I've been reading a lot of threads that predict the comic crash is coming. I tend to disagree with this. Each and every year new collectors are purchasing new comics and more than likely purchasing back issues. With todays collector their golden age of comics is the 70's, with not much interest in the comics from the true golden and silver age due to the high prices. I see the 30 year old and older completing their silver and bronze age collections while the novice 13 - 20 year olds purchasing new, copper, and bronze age. It seems that no matter what age you are, the bronze age is the best bet for making money, any thoughts on this?

I've been reading a lot of threads that predict the comic crash is coming. I tend to disagree with this. Each and every year new collectors are purchasing new comics and more than likely purchasing back issues. With todays collector their golden age of comics is the 70's, with not much interest in the comics from the true golden and silver age due to the high prices. I see the 30 year old and older completing their silver and bronze age collections while the novice 13 - 20 year olds purchasing new, copper, and bronze age. It seems that no matter what age you are, the bronze age is the best bet for making money, any thoughts on this?

Yeah, comics were around before we were all born, and they will be here after we die.

My point is that the best dollar for your money is in Bronze Age. Any thoughts?

In my opinion investing in comic books is risker than anything else out there. I have bought $100k collections because the person needed money for $6k. Comics take time to sell, stocks don't.

Let's say you have 100k in comics and 100k in stocks. Today you get the call you have cancer and are going to die in 3 months and that you better take your vacations now and have fun because its all over in 90 days.

You go onto the computer/call your broker and your 100k is in the bank tomorrow.

You go to your comic collection, try to figure out how your going to get the money out, blah blah blah you finally sell for 10k to a local dealer.

Which was smarter?

As for the most for your money, cheap moderns at shows are in my opinion the best for your entertainment and dollar combined.

I totally agree with you, but you strayed away from the point that I was making. I just said that the best way to make money in comics is to invest in the bronze age because it is where every collector no matter how old they are seem to be interested in.

Bronze Age has the most bang for the buck, but investing in comics is foolish.

I personally collect Bronze Age. I know though, that many on here will tell you BA books are a horrible investment and that there are millions of them out there. I say collect what you love and love what you collect.

One difference would be if you are buying raw books or HG slabs. I think you'd be fine dealing with the raw books as many of them are still very affordable. The HG slabs however have seen some ups and downs. I recently have seen a rebirth of interest in Star Wars #1 in 9.8 with one reaching the insane price of $647.99 on eBay. I got mine for about $325 in a package deal awhile back. So, while it looks like the BA HG market is good from that, I could just as easily tell you a horror story about a $700 book that I've bought that now will sell for around $250.

I'm just not sure I would go into the comic market at this time with the sole purpose of "making money". I have always hoped my collection would grow in value, as would anybody I'd think, but I always knew if the market tanked I'd still love the books I have and could be happy with them.

I think post 75-88(?) have the most potential for upswing. Cheaper, by far, than anything before them. Question being, did anything happen during this time period? Keys? I can think of a few solid runs...Rogers Batman, LOSH Great Darkness Saga, V for Vendetta(any Moore), Crisis...others have mentioned in other threads on Marvels...Avengers, FF, X-Men.

I don't think anyone will make a mint on these, but the prices are soooo low, they have to have the MOST potential.-John

I think post 75-88(?) have the most potential for upswing. Cheaper, by far, than anything before them. Question being, did anything happen during this time period? Keys? I can think of a few solid runs...Rogers Batman, LOSH Great Darkness Saga, V for Vendetta(any Moore), Crisis...others have mentioned in other threads on Marvels...Avengers, FF, X-Men.

I don't think anyone will make a mint on these, but the prices are soooo low, they have to have the MOST potential.-John

Copper age baby....thats where its at. The books were beaten up like their predacessors, and their black and white counterparts are pretty rare. Its just a cheap wasteland right now but when Bronze has reached its peak, people will be loking elsewhere in those dollar bins for some potential scores.

Russ, you really purchased collections worth $100K for $6K, wow, you must be doing well in comics. smile.gif

Theoretically yes I did. I could of quick flipped them and made a few thousand relatively quick but I wanted to wait the collection out to maximize the value that it possessed.

Truth be told I didn't have the money to invest at the time and would of kicked the deal had the dealer I kicked it to had the money.

It was one of those situations where either I bought them for what he wanted, or someone else would. I just had to come up with the money. I had said time and time again they were worth more than this, but he really needed the money like yesterday. I bought them, held them for 3 months telling him that he could buy them back in 90 days if he could come up with the money to get them back. He never did, and if he ever calls and wants to start recollecting his runs I will give him the best deals I have ever gave.

Sometimes things come up, taxes, cancer, funerals, loan sharks, etc, etc. Comics to most are just one of those things they loved to read and have around, not viewed as an investment or something liquid. The thing to me is not having the money, it is having the money and the people who "have the need" know that you do.

While I have gotten a lot of good deals, some bad deals, and some rotten deals, I never have claimed to have done anyone a favor. Generally it is viewed by both the buyer and seller as a favor to each other. Some dealers, and I won't mention names think that by buying their comics they have sealed themselves a seat next to the Lord himself.

Pedigreeking

Last posted 1/12/06 at 5:05 p.m.

48 posts total

Started 5 threads in one day before "leaving" the forums...including one pimping out his own auctions while denying they were his.

sportmaniac

Joined 1/12/06 at 5:54 p.m. (49 minutes after Pedigreeking "left")

Last posted 1/12/06 at 11:34 p.m

33 posts total

Started 6 threads in one day (all similar in style to the threads PK was starting).

funtasticfour

Joined 1/13/06 at 3:49 p.m. (16 hours after sportmainiac "left")

17 posts total

Started 4 threads since yesterday (all similar in style to the threads PK and SM were starting).

Get lost, shill.