• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X2 Is On Its Way.....

11 posts in this topic

It made $33,896,000 on Friday.

If you triple that amount(more or less) it could wind up with an opening frame slightly north of $100 mil.

If it even skims below Spidermans $114 mil that will make news too.

If it manages to surpass Spiderman on a 3 day,well......

Have a nice weekend!

grin.gif

I doubt it'll surpass Spidey but impressive nevertheless. I'd expect Fox would have been disappointed by anything under 75 Mil considering all the hype. Hell, the movie opened in Turkey of all places on Friday. Worldwide gross should be huge. Makes you wonder how well Matrix Reloaded will do at opening....

Jim

The estimates I've seen on X2 have it making around 32.5 mil yesterday. With the typical Sunday box office drop off it should make between 85 and 90 for the weekend. Considerably short of Spidey but still a VERY impressive opening. As for Matrix 2, don't look for it to make much more than X2, if that. It doesn't have the crossover appeal to take a shot at Spideys' record.

I did not even realize Matrix Reloaded was rated R until I read an article in Entertainment Weekly. I guess when you are over 30, and have no children the rating on a movie is something you no longer pay attention to. It may make as much as the following films on opening weekend: X2, Harry Potter, The Lost World, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones (and several other incredibly huge 1st weekend money makers), but will probably have a hard time surpassing the king of opening weekend $ makers...Spider-Man, precisely because of the R rating.

However, there is a HUGE number of people dying to see Matrix R, and since more full priced adult tickets will be sold for this film, it's BO gross could conceivably reach a 100 million over 3 or 4 days.

Why is everyone so fired up about the Box Office? I like quality movies (as Spider-man and X2 are) rather than money-rakers, and my DVD collection certainly doesn't have Home Alone or The Lost World in it. grin.gif

I saw X2 last night and it was sold out when I saw it. Every show that was playing sold out and people seemed very excited to see it. Only time will tell what it does at the box office for the weekend, but I think the fact that it is a quality movie says a lot.

Joe...I hope you have figured out that I am just pulling your chain, you know, just trying to give you a hard time, but in a humorous way. I actually appreciate your posts, and think the forum would be fairly dry if you stopped providing your 2 cents in the CGC threads.

Yeah, but it's just that this type of "dollars and cents" thread is a bit disheartening, since this is (reportedly - I'm seeing it soon) a very good movie that is far more than its BO.

Yeah, but it's just that this type of "dollars and cents" thread is a bit disheartening, since this is (reportedly - I'm seeing it soon) a very good movie that is far more than its BO.

Agreed. I just think it's cool when a movie I like is successful. Especially when its box office success determines whether a sequel is made or not.

Just speculation...that's all, no more no less. Nothing wrong with that and no indication of the movie's quality.

On the otherhand, big box office boads well for other well funded and cared for comic based movies. Or we can go back to low budget classics such as Punisher, Capt America, and FF. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Jim