• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tampered Slab?

18 posts in this topic

Greetings, all.

About me: I just registered today, after anonymously lurking for some time. I've previously bought books from board members both on ebay and at local shows. I've been collecting since 1975, stopped and started again and stopped in the 80s, and then started again a few years back; mostly into silver with some bronze and occasional dips into GA.

I'm about 8 issues short of a 200+ ASM run, and recently found myself with some extra $. On Sunday I bought my first slab, a PGX 4.0 ASM #4 from Wes Hagen/gccbco on ebay. I'd read up on him on the boards, and his feedback of course, and felt reasonably safe.

He shipped the book right out, and its definitely the same one as in the ebay scan. However, halfway down the spine the slab is nicked with a tiny chunk missing (1/8" long, 1/32" deep), as if a screwdriver was wedged in to open it. Other than that, it looks okay, nothing looks amiss on the inner sleeve or label. The box and bubble envelope he shipped it in show no damage.

I don't think a scan or photo of the nick would show up that well. If its not the book that PGX graded, at worst I'd put it at 3.0. Does anyone think he would go to the trouble of replacing a low grade book with an only slightly lower grade book? It doesn't make sense to me, although he does have a negative or two about damaged slabs. I can't post a scan of the book until the morning

Apologies for the long-winded first post (sans scan) looking for advice, but this is eating at me.

I may be incorrect but doesn't PGX seal the label inside with the slab? So that it would difficult to just swap comics or labels. So if the inner well looks untampered then it might just be a nicked casing.

With a low grade book like that especailly since you don't collect slabs, I would just crack it out of the slab.

I'm about 8 issues short of a 200+ ASM run, and recently found myself with some extra $.

What 8 issues are you missing??? poke2.gif I have a complete (minus about 10 sold) run from #2 - 500! I may be able to help out grin.gif Send a PM off my way...

Your name rings a bell 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Have you purchased from me on eBay???

Other than that, it looks okay, nothing looks amiss on the inner sleeve or label.

PGX books are sealed in a plastic sleeve inside of the case. So if there doesn't appear to be any other damage, you should be OK thumbsup2.gif

Oh and BTW... WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

John thumbsup2.gif

The PGX Slab that I had...had an inner well with a sealed label region. So it would be hard to change that label out!!!
Thanks for the redundant post. thumbsup2.gif

Imitation: The sincerest form of Flattery!!!

Flatulance?!? How dare you sir. sumo.gif

Unfortunately, no. I had the granny version, '70 Satellite vert with a 318. It was still sweet, one of 701 built (lowest production Plymouth built that year.) But thanks to a tire changing insufficiently_thoughtful_person in the passing lane of rte 90, who caused a multi car pile-up, when last seen she looked like this:

vert.jpg

For the last 7 years or so, I've been driving a 76 Dart.

Unfortunately, no. I had the granny version, '70 Satellite vert with a 318. It was still sweet, one of 701 built (lowest production Plymouth built that year.) But thanks to a tire changing insufficiently_thoughtful_person in the passing lane of rte 90, who caused a multi car pile-up, when last seen she looked like this:

vert.jpg

Ouch!!! gossip.gifMy first car was a '64 Dodge Dart slant-6 push-button automatic cloud9.gif

vert.jpg

Ouch!!! gossip.gifMy first car was a '64 Dodge Dart slant-6 push-button automatic cloud9.gif

Mopar or No Car! Another sweet ride. SF car? I've seen some nice ones out there.

Noting wrong with a /6 either. 8 cylinders are more fun to drive but not with a daily 30 mile commute each way combined with today's cost of gas.

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Uh, I've barely been on the boards and I'm yakking about cars. I better post something on topic. Less money spent on gas = more money for comics!

Oh yeah- nice Mister Miracle #1. smile.gif