• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Comic Book Day

46 posts in this topic

Well, I just read mine, so if you need it I can send it to you. I just wanted to read the books. Unless hkp needs it -- he gets first dibs because he's the reason I picked it up (I've seen a lot of his posts in the GA section).

Thanks for the kind offer Joanna, but Chrisco did manage to get the book for me, before he started a fight in the comic shop (that 11-year old girl will never be the same again....) blush.gif

Chris is sending me an Mbag with about 75 comics on Monday, including the Duck book, so I should have in in 8-10 weeks....

Thanks for the kind offer Joanna, but Chrisco did manage to get the book for me, before he started a fight in the comic shop (that 11-year old girl will never be the same again....) blush.gif

There is indeed a story for him to tell. Did she whup 'im badly, or is he okay? 893whatthe.gif

-- Joanna

That;s a staggeringly cynical statement. I thought several of the free books were quite good.

Perhaps, but I'm not in the mood to collect more Moderns, and I don't read comics anymore, as I get more intellectual stimulation from novels or Classics.

Not a put-down, but everytime I try and pick up a new comic, I discover (once again) that there are very few superlative comic writers in the biz today. I still buy anything from Moore, but that's about it these days.

So basically I collect comics as a hobby and for nostalgia, watch movies and play PC games for entertainment, and read books for relaxation. With few exceptions (ie. Moore), new comics just don't fit my needs anymore.

I missed FCBD; had to work from 8 AM to 8 PM...boo hoo!!!

However, the shop I buy my new books at has a sale all this coming week where back issues are half price (minimum $1) and everything else in the store besides CCGs and "new releases" are 25% off. I'm not sure about my budget, but if I can afford it, maybe I'll finally get that Dr. Doom mini-statue. I'll definitely try to finish up some of my Brass and Chrome age runs and see what SA Thors they have.

As to whether the event was profitable for the store, even with the direct expenses (around $460 for the "free" comics

You mean the comic book shops and not the comic book company or suppliers had to buy the "free comics"? CHRIS

Well, everyone actually takes a loss on the promotion... The printers agree to take around half their normal fee. The publishers get a pittance. Diamond charges around half their normal freight charges (most stores pay around 7.5c a book in freight charges for every comic they sell).

But yes, those "free" comics are definitely not free for the retailer. They ranged from 15c a book for Batman Adventures to 30c a book for a couple of the small indy titles. Mine set me back just over $400 for the comics themselves, plus another $60 or so in freight. Plus all the other costs for posters, signage, shelf talkers, buttons, post cards, stickers, etc...

Understand, it is a cost I am MORE than willing to bear. And I would willingly pay more for the promotion if the industry would turn around and promote it more. Tell me they couldn't have gotten a hugely discounted deal from Regal Cinemas to have theater slides advertising FCBD across the country for a month or so before the event...

By the way, if anyone missed out on a particular title, I have extras of nearly all of them. I made it a point last year that no child under the age of ten left my shop without a comic book throughout the entire year, and I ordered extras of last year's FCBD books to make sure that happened. I did the same this year as well, so if your shop ran out of the title you really wanted before you got there, just let me know...

Not a put-down, but everytime I try and pick up a new comic, I discover (once again) that there are very few superlative comic writers in the biz today. I still buy anything from Moore, but that's about it these days.

Must be dark days for you indeed... since Moore recently announced he is winding up all of his titles and will no longer be writing comics...

It's a shame that between Bendis, Ennis, Ellis, Terry Moore, Clowes, and Azzarello you haven't been able to find anything worth reading. Yes, the racks are chockful of drek, as they frankly always have been. But in amongst the Azrael and Big Daddy Danger and Namor, there is a lot of fine material out there.

You don't bypass a record store because it has a Ricky Martin poster in the window. You don't turn off your tv because the first thing you see is Everybody Loves Raymond. You don't avoid the movie theatre because of the big signs featuring The Core. You don't avoid the live theatre because they're doing a wheelchair version of CATS. You don't avoid this forum because Khaos and Bugaboo are throwing down again.

Being a cultural elitist comes with a price. And that price is wading through a lot of commercial drek to find quality material. I freely admit I have neither the time nor the patience for Ricky Martin, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Core, Wheelchair-CATS, or Jemas' appalling Namor series. But I sidestep them as best I can to find the material that is worth my time...

>>Must be dark days for you indeed... since Moore recently announced he is winding up all of his titles and will no longer be writing comics...

Not dark days at all, just the reality of the biz. I don't really like reading new comics, but Moore is so good, he's worth it. If he leaves, I guess it's zero new books for this cat.

By the way, if anyone missed out on a particular title, I have extras of nearly all of them. I made it a point last year that no child under the age of ten left my shop without a comic book throughout the entire year, and I ordered extras of last year's FCBD books to make sure that happened. I did the same this year as well, so if your shop ran out of the title you really wanted before you got there, just let me know...

What a great policy!

If anyone can answer: what were all the titles offered? My shop had 5 books left, but I assumed there were originally a lot more than that. Is there a website that lists them, or anyone have a list?

-- Joanna

What was the free Disney book you got? Does it say anything about the

new line of Disney comics that is starting up?

Hkp: Check this thread if you missed it first time

Disney Comics info

I hope povertyrow did pick up a copy of that Disney comic... maybe we can convert him from the dark side smile.gif

You don't avoid this forum because Khaos and Bugaboo are throwing down again.

Are you saying that Bug and I are the "Namor" of the message board?!?!

Are you saying that you want us dressed in nothing more than a scaly g-string?!?!?!

Dark days for JC, dark days for us all indeed...

Are you saying that you want us dressed in nothing more than a scaly g-string?!?!?!

Add that to the list of things I never want to see... just below VH1's Behind the Music: Old Skull...

One other thing I neglected to mention in my FCBD report. The second half of the day, (I wish we had done it the whole day but some ideas just don't come early), we selected a couple additional comics beyond what people chose for themselves, to encourage them to read things they might not otherwise try. Saying effectively, "Take this one too, if you don't like it, pass it along to a friend who might..." It's way too soon to tell how effective that was, but I heard several people who were pleased at having something a little different to try...

Add that to the list of things I never want to see... just below VH1's Behind the Music: Old Skull...

One other thing I neglected to mention in my FCBD report. The second half of the day, (I wish we had done it the whole day but some ideas just don't come early), we selected a couple additional comics beyond what people chose for themselves, to encourage them to read things they might not otherwise try. Saying effectively, "Take this one too, if you don't like it, pass it along to a friend who might..." It's way too soon to tell how effective that was, but I heard several people who were pleased at having something a little different to try...

Damn dealer. Hooking 'em on your product. Well, taste THIS, knave! :::opens raincoat:::

Damn dealer. Hooking 'em on your product. Well, taste THIS, knave! :::opens raincoat:::

The last time I was in his shop, he hooked me up with a couple of free 8-balls and an Archie comic.........I recommend his shop to all of my friends.

Nothing like getting crocked and watching people trying to roll a free Ultimate X-Men into a huge one-hitter.

Oh yeah......well......the jokes on you........I didn't flush the toilet after I used your restroom. smirk.gif

Plus.......I had a video camera hidden in a grocery bag.......and managed to get a nice up-skirt shot of your Halloween Goth Princess. tongue.gif

by the time i got to the comic store, all they had left was darkness #7, and you know what, the mag was lame! it sucked so bad, it made me not want to by new mags, even though it was an image book from 1997. but it was so bad, sex and violence? not to mention the art was horrible too. im so glad i never bought the image hype. blush.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for the kind offer Joanna, but Chrisco did manage to get the book for me, before he started a fight in the comic shop (that 11-year old girl will never be the same again....)

Hey! That little brat got what was coming to her! Technically, she had the "Barbie and Baby Sister Kelly #1" first, but what do they say? "Possession in 9/10 of the law". I simply wanted it more. She had no heart, whereas I displayed the courage of a champion!

I wouldn't have ripped into her afterwards so bad, but during the struggle to pry the book from her (surprisingly strong) hands, the book ended up with some spine stress that was not there before! I had planned on slabbing the book for prominent display in my home, now I can't!!!! mad.gif

Chris