• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mighty Chaykin

46 posts in this topic

Morse = mostly random Graphic novels. He has a style that doesn't do it for many folks. Soulwind, Visitations, Volcanic Revolver, Southpaw, Magic Pickle, Ancient Joe. Batman: Roomful of Strangers. Some Escapist stuff. I think he wrote Plastic Man (or something like it) for a bit. He also did the art on the first story arc of Sam Twitch...issues 1-6.

Naifeh = Courtney Crumrin, among other things.

Chadwick has had a few other things since Concrete, but Concrete is still his primary output.

Doran = A Distant Soil, plus she was the artist on Orbiter, The Book of Lost Souls, Reign of the Zodiac and the upcoming Stealth Tribes.

McNeil = Finder. She also did some art on Queen & Country.

Shanower = Age of Bronze.

That really is just the beginning of the list. There's others. Alex Robinson, Craig Thompson, and of course, Andy Runton!!!

OK DKB, I'll keep my eyes open for those. I've heard of some like A Distant Soil, and Queen and Country, but not the others.

Thanks.

I always like it when someone can write and draw their own creation, and do it well.

Very nice commission! I like how he uses shadows.

Yes I liked Counterfifth Detective as well. It was a good place to start as it can stand alone as a story, although with a few question marks... that made me read it again, and then go out and buy the other books to see what was going on! laugh.gif

I like the movies The Big Sleep and Maltese Falcon, also I've read a couple of Spillane novels.

From the covers and title, 100 Bullets sounds like there'd be more violent action, but it's more of a character/mystery/conspiracy story, with some action.

It is definitely more plot driven than action, but when the action hits, it's pretty brutal. Alot of the violence happens "off camera", but there is plenty. Wait until you read issue #50. Alot of craziness going on there. The past few arcs have had quite a bit of action as well. Some pretty brutal scenes courtesy of Lono.

I have a feeling it is only going to get worse as the story is closing in on the "Final Act". Everything that you've read is the backstory and Graves positioning the "pieces on the chessboard". His plans have now been set in motion and, trust me, nobody is safe. thumbsup2.gif

Yes I liked Counterfifth Detective as well. It was a good place to start as it can stand alone as a story, although with a few question marks... that made me read it again, and then go out and buy the other books to see what was going on! laugh.gif

I like the movies The Big Sleep and Maltese Falcon, also I've read a couple of Spillane novels.

From the covers and title, 100 Bullets sounds like there'd be more violent action, but it's more of a character/mystery/conspiracy story, with some action.

It is definitely more plot driven than action, but when the action hits, it's pretty brutal. Alot of the violence happens "off camera", but there is plenty. Wait until you read issue #50. Alot of craziness going on there. The past few arcs have had quite a bit of action as well. Some pretty brutal scenes courtesy of Lono.

I have a feeling it is only going to get worse as the story is closing in on the "Final Act". Everything that you've read is the backstory and Graves positioning the "pieces on the chessboard". His plans have now been set in motion and, trust me, nobody is safe. thumbsup2.gif

Did I hear right that it's going to 100 issues and that's it?

I'm wondering if there's ever been another comic like this, with one big story done so well, over so many issues.

And with the same creative team! That consisency will be good when the whole thing is done.

Did I hear right that it's going to 100 issues and that's it?

I'm wondering if there's ever been another comic like this, with one big story done so well, over so many issues.

And with the same creative team! That consisency will be good when the whole thing is done.

100 issues is correct.

I totally agree with you on the ambitious nature of the series. The only other series I can think of that is in the same vein would be Cerebus (300 issues). I haven't read the entire Cerebus saga, but I imagine that Sim went off on more than one tangent. Bullets has a great cohesiveness to the story. Even when something doesn't appear to be important, there's a reason why it's there. Eventually, the meaning comes out (even if it's 20 issues later).

Ultimate Spidey has had the same creative team since the get-go (although they've changed inkers). But, that series has been going down hill for over a year now. Bullets could actually set a record - the longest title with the exact same creative team: Writer, artist, colorist, letterer. (Help me out, Kevin Boyd. confused-smiley-013.gif).

Bullets is consistently outstanding. It's definitely a well-done book. But, it's Vertigo, so you can't really expect anything less.

Oh, and for another book you might like, check out "The Walking Dead" from Image. It's pretty wild!

Kyle Baker. Plastic Man will be sorely missed.

Baker...Didn't he follow Sienkiewicz on the Shadow in the late 80's? I didn't see Plastic Man, but I've heard Baker's name pop up now and then, and that his style changed quite a bit.

I hereby proclaim Kyle Baker king of cartoonists.

His style can be terribly Cartoony. He has done some good work. I have a Plastic Man drawing of his. Looks really like a doodle that turns into Plas.

I remember in the 80's he did a mini called Justice Inc. It was really good. Sometimes though the art was a touch disturbing.

His style can be terribly Cartoony.

I didn't really mean it in terms of his style, as much as I was proclaiming him king of what he does. He just happens to refer to himself as a cartoonist (re: the books he released) so that's what I went with...

Yu is interesting to me also. I really liked the recent Silent Dragon series. Didn't hear much about it on the boards though. A mix between old school Japan and new-wave technology. #1 had me thinking the story was one way and than it totally flipped the opposite in #2.

Chaykin is pretty good too. I liked City of Tomorrow but I felt like I was getting bored with it toward the end. Almost like 4 issues would have been plenty. His old school stuff is just fantastic. I'm wondering if the cartoony look is due to more/less shadowing. Didn't he do #7 of JSA All Stars? Pretty sweet cover. Glad to see he's on a good comeback.

Pat

I can't read anything that romita jr does. Am i the only one who thinks his characters look bad and that he has zero talent? His father was very good.

Kyle Baker. Plastic Man will be sorely missed.

Baker...Didn't he follow Sienkiewicz on the Shadow in the late 80's? I didn't see Plastic Man, but I've heard Baker's name pop up now and then, and that his style changed quite a bit.

I hereby proclaim Kyle Baker king of cartoonists.

The Andy Helfer/Kyle Baker Shadow run was a definite high point of the late 80s, early 90s.

Hey Stephen, thanks for the list of new stuff. I'll check some of these out.

I do like Finch, Hitch, Silvestri. I've seen a bit by Leinil Francis Yu, I'd like to see more by him.

I am enjoying SOLO, great idea to allow the artists to do their thing. I've seen Chaykin's and also Jordi Bernet so far.

Has anyone here seen Chaykin's work? And do you like any earlier artists Stephen, or all Modern stuff?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif...... Early Artists: Adams, Smith, Steranko, Pereze, Turrner, Layton, and others.

F Y I ,THERE IS TALK OF AN 'AMERICAN FLAG' MOVIE, AND CHAYKIN WILL BE AT WONDERCON SF.

I can't read anything that romita jr does. Am i the only one who thinks his characters look bad and that he has zero talent? His father was very good.

I think he's absolutely one of the best artists in comics. As was mentioned I can see where people might not like him (oddly enough, he's partially got his father, in his capacity as the Marvel art director, to blame for that), but for me there's barely anyone that tops him in terms of storytelling and energy.

Has anyone here seen Chaykin's work?

This was my 1974 introduction to Chaykin's art... cloud9.gif

538161-tec441_2_white.JPG

Hey Zonker, nice to see this Chaykin page! I didn't know he drew Batman back then. I saw his contribution to the more recent Black and White series that I thought was funny and well written.

Do you happen to know what Batman issue(s) Chaykin drew?

If you like Risso black and white work you should check out "Chicanos".

Thanks for the tip OldGuy! I did check it out here:

http://www.buzzscope.com/reviews.php?id=5240

Looks good to me. I'd like to see more of Risso's art in black and white, 100 Bullets too.

Funny- read the first comment in the link I put here. No wonder I like it! laugh.gif

Yu is interesting to me also. I really liked the recent Silent Dragon series. Didn't hear much about it on the boards though. A mix between old school Japan and new-wave technology. #1 had me thinking the story was one way and than it totally flipped the opposite in #2.

Chaykin is pretty good too. I liked City of Tomorrow but I felt like I was getting bored with it toward the end. Almost like 4 issues would have been plenty. His old school stuff is just fantastic. I'm wondering if the cartoony look is due to more/less shadowing. Didn't he do #7 of JSA All Stars? Pretty sweet cover. Glad to see he's on a good comeback.

Pat

City of Tomorrow felt rushed to me toward the end, like he just wanted to wrap it up. I still liked it anyway.

I think one of Chaykin strengths is snappy dialogue, especially between men and women.

I heard that he'll be drawing Hawkgirl, with I believe it's Walt Simonson writing. Should make for a sexy Hawkgirl, although I'd prefer Chaykin writing his own stories. Nice to see two old school guys get together though.