• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Copper Age

71 posts in this topic

Albedo #0 yellow cover IS the rarest book of the copper age PERIOD. Theres only 50 of them. How many of those do you think are still left? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I personally know of at least one. poke2.gifgrin.gif

no way man. ill believe it when i see it! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Albedo #0 yellow cover IS the rarest book of the copper age PERIOD. Theres only 50 of them. How many of those do you think are still left? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Okay, like your mother on prom night, that's just too easy.

and you are waaaay too predictable. Now move along little boy and go correct the bad grammar running rampant in this forum.

and you are waaaay too predictable. Now move along little boy and go correct the bad grammar running rampant in this forum.

I don't recall a time when I've had to correct grammar here on the boards, but apparently you do. I hope the lesson you learned is one you will carry with you always. (It appears that it is.)

Besides, I rather enjoyed the ironic nature of an uber-simple "yo momma" joke in that context. It's not surprising that it went soaring over your head, though it probably had to take a bit of a turn around the cone.

Would a print run of 1600 qualify as 'rare'? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd say yes, especially if it is in demand.

"in demand"? 27_laughing.gif

Doubtful.

1PORTFOLIOKAZAR.jpg

I guess rarity, in my mind, is definitely a product of supply and demand. 1,600 copies of a book no one wants wouldn't exactly be rare, I guess as copies could be readily available if looked for.

Here's some truly rare gems:

The Man of Steel raffle giveaway trade paperback from DC. There are only a few of these known and DC officials don't even know what they are. The letter that was received with the trade paperbacks, which reprinted the Man of Steel limited series in its entirety — covers, ads and all — say that the tpb is a raffle prize, given away to winners of a drawing DC held. The store at which the winner shopped at was also given a raffle edition. This version has a generic, blue cover, with a large Superman "S" shield in the middle.

The other truly rare trade paperback is the Diamond Retailers Seminar Blind Justice giveaway trade paperback. I bought my copy for $3 and turned around and sold it the very next day to an English chap for $500 cash and $250 trade. This book is extremely rare, too. Copies very seldom surface.

Both of these were published in the late 1980s. The Blind Justice appears to be the very first RRP edition.

Other rarities are the SoMuchFun! variants of DC, Marvel and Archie comics. These were sold in three-packs in gift stores and were limited to only 5,000 copies each. They have differences in their covers from the original printings. There are several comics from all three companies that have the SoMuchFun! variations, including a GI Joe, an Uncanny X-Men, a Batman, a Justice League of America (which is the nicest of the variants, because the cover was completely altered and looks a lot better than the original comic).

There aren't as many of these as the 30 cent and 35 cent Marvel variants and the Whitman DCs, so putting together a set should be fairly easy, although it could be expensive, especially when it comes to the Man of Steel No. 1, the GI Joe 63 and the JLA.

The Wonder Woman and the Star Riders minicomic is extremely rare. I've got two copies and they both cost me an arm and a leg. This comic wasn't supposed to even be distributed, since the cartoon and toy line were killed before they ever reached the public.

DC galleys are also super rare. These are preview copies meant for the reviewers and not for resale. Occasionally, they turn up on eBay. They usually have black and white covers over the correct interiors. These are nice, but tough to find, and can be a headache when trying to put together a complete set. I'd say there are very few of these to go around and could be quite pricey should someone realize how rare they are.

Are the DC Whitmans considered rare? I've still got my childhood copies. cloud9.gif

Some of the DC Whitmans are really tough to find. I've been searching for the Sgt. Rock for a long time and still haven't seen a copy for sale. Some of the later Whitmans are really tough.

Thanks for the info. thumbsup2.gif

Maybe I'll see what others I can dig up for curiousity's sake.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think any of the Whitman variants are RARE. I think some are scarcer than others, but these are comics that had a fairly high distribution rate, as they were sold in three-packs and could be found in most grocery stores, at toy stores and convenient stores (where I found my Whitmans). They have been maligned for years and overlooked a true DC collectible and now that collectors have realized these are DCs that they need for their collections, they're going up in value. But, I don't think there are any of these — with the exception of the Sgt. Rock — that are truly RARE. Even that one probably has just eluded me and isn't that rare.

Thanks for the info. thumbsup2.gif

Maybe I'll see what others I can dig up for curiousity's sake.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think any of the Whitman variants are RARE. I think some are scarcer than others, but these are comics that had a fairly high distribution rate, as they were sold in three-packs and could be found in most grocery stores, at toy stores and convenient stores (where I found my Whitmans). They have been maligned for years and overlooked a true DC collectible and now that collectors have realized these are DCs that they need for their collections, they're going up in value. But, I don't think there are any of these — with the exception of the Sgt. Rock — that are truly RARE. Even that one probably has just eluded me and isn't that rare.

while i agree with you, i wish someone would tell Mile High that. although maybe charging 200-600% of guide for Whitmans is a trend for the future

BTW- I came across a 'Superman & WonderWoman' from 1982. It says "compliments of Radio Shack" and is titled: The Computer Masters of Metropolis. Anyone know anything about these? confused-smiley-013.gif

Radio Shack giveaway. common as dirt