• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 19 CGC 9.9

53 posts in this topic

Anyone ever seen this before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

The seller is Darryl from Silver Acre. I've had the misfortune of dealing with him in the past. It turns out that he paid $20,700 for the book a year ago and has since tried to sell it 3 times without luck. Each time he says that if it doesn't sell it will go into the vault for 5 years. I think he's trying to break even on it as he's realised he bought a wooden spoon. Not only that but it looks trimmed.

cloud9.gif

The seller is Darryl from Silver Acre. I've had the misfortune of dealing with him in the past. It turns out that he paid $20,700 for the book a year ago and has since tried to sell it 3 times without luck. Each time he says that if it doesn't sell it will go into the vault for 5 years. I think he's trying to break even on it as he's realised he bought a wooden spoon. Not only that but it looks trimmed.

cloud9.gif

yeah i've seen it before...sounds like he overpaid on that one! He better be able to lock it away for about 20 years if he wants to make money otherwise he will probably lose $$$ like so many who buy super high grades thinking it's a sure thing only to find out they can't afford to hold onto the book long enough to realize a profit!

cloud9.gif

This book is not trimmed. It came from a massive original owner Silver Age collection out of Las Vegas, and was brought to market by Nationwide Comics. The same collection yielded an ASM 17 in 9.8 (top census) and several copies of ASM 14 in 9.4 and 9.6.

As for sale price, it seems unlikely that by hugely overpaying for a book, a buyer can convince other prospective buyers that the price was justified.

This book is not trimmed. It came from a massive original owner Silver Age collection out of Las Vegas, and was brought to market by Nationwide Comics. The same collection yielded an ASM 17 in 9.8 (top census) and several copies of ASM 14 in 9.4 and 9.6.

As for sale price, it seems unlikely that by hugely overpaying for a book, a buyer can convince other prospective buyers that the price was justified.

I believe David Reynolds of Terry's Comics / Nationwide said he sold it to Harley Yee for $19K, and Harley had a buyer lined up. So it has changed hands a couple times, but Bob is right that it was first slabbed at 9.9, so I would bet it's not trimmed either.

cloud9.gif

And here we go. frustrated.gif

I have bought from Silveracre, and honestly I had no problems. I think the grading is good, my only troble was shipping was a bit on the slow side, but they are in the UK.

As to the 9.9 grade book he is selling I am of the opinion a solid 9.4 is good enough and is WAAAAYYY less money. I personally just couldnt justify spending that kind of bucks for a book that is commonly found.

Artboy99

High resolution front and back covers scans are on Heritage where it was sold twice : $12650 in Nov 2003 and $20700 in Feb 2005. Take at look at the back cover scan in Feb 2005 - bottom edge to the left - the back cover seems a little "pushed up" (from contact with the inner well wall?). This is one book where a re-sub is very risky to put it mildly.

Alan

PS I have bought a few books (in person) from Darryl with no problems.

He wants how much for the book and he can't get a full front and back scan? foreheadslap.gif

Do you see all that space between the top of the book and the top edge of the case? That book has been shipped across the Atlantic. What do you want to bet that the reason we don't see the back cover or bottom edge is because of some SCS?

High resolution front and back covers scans are on Heritage where it was sold twice : $12650 in Nov 2003 and $20700 in Feb 2005. Take at look at the back cover scan in Feb 2005 - bottom edge to the left - the back cover seems a little "pushed up" (from contact with the inner well wall?). This is one book where a re-sub is very risky to put it mildly.

Alan

PS I have bought a few books (in person) from Darryl with no problems.

Wondering why some one would want to resub a 9.9 book? Does this make sense that someone would hope for a 10.0?

High resolution front and back covers scans are on Heritage where it was sold twice : $12650 in Nov 2003 and $20700 in Feb 2005. Take at look at the back cover scan in Feb 2005 - bottom edge to the left - the back cover seems a little "pushed up" (from contact with the inner well wall?).

Link? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

High resolution front and back covers scans are on Heritage where it was sold twice : $12650 in Nov 2003 and $20700 in Feb 2005.

Well, these pics are nice from a historical perspective, but we all know that until SCS is solved a book's grade can be affected in the tomb.

It's not Darryl's book - it's on consignment to him on a commission basis if he sells it. I know the owner and have actually seen this book. I don't know what SCS is but I can guarantee this book is clean. I have a copy in 9.8 and the 9.9 is slightly better in terms of whiteness and corner perfection

It's not Darryl's book - it's on consignment to him on a commission basis if he sells it. I know the owner and have actually seen this book. I don't know what SCS is but I can guarantee this book is clean. I have a copy in 9.8 and the 9.9 is slightly better in terms of whiteness and corner perfection

Hey Mark,

SCS is shaken comic syndrome. It's an acronym used to describe damage that a slabbed book suffers when it bangs into the inner well walls of the slab after encapsulation.

Having looked at the scans of the 9.9 on Heritage, I have to agree that the #19 is a sick looking book!

if you can tell that a book is trimmed by looking at a single scan of a slab, you are a GOD.

the rest of us mortals need before and after scans at the least