• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Way To Store CGC Books

62 posts in this topic

Particularly given the problems with SCS and the books shifting around inside the holder, and banging against the sides, is it preferable to have them:

(1) In a box standing up straight?

(2) Lying flat on top of one another on a shelf?

popcorn.gif

Particularly given the problems with SCS and the books shifting around inside the holder, and banging against the sides, is it preferable to have them:

popcorn.gif

I store mine flat, but not piled up. Actually Wal-Mart sells a plastic container that CGC slabs fit perfectly in. I have them stored in those right now.

I'm also looking into some nice wooden cabinets here in Japan that have multiple shallow drawers that would be excellent for flat storage.

I should try to get some pics and post them on here soon.

I store my CGC books on their side vertically, with the spines down.
thumbsup2.gif
One day I will bury you. frustrated.gif
SD - July 2006 - Be there! cool.gif
It's your funeral. You think Mandy will still be there?
Yup cloud9.gif

thumbsup2.gif
Yup cloud9.gif
cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

thumbsup2.gif
Yup cloud9.gif
cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Guys, please go create your own thread or PM each other to have your usual discussions. Or at least let some people substantively respond before you destroy the conversation with nonsense.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Uh, we did answer your question.

Unless you think there are CGC slabs SCS experts who specialize in the storage of slabs out there somewhere.

It's a matter of personal taste.

Forgive us for ruining a lame thread topic, we will go play elsewhere.

I store mine upright in CGC storage boxes and magazine boxes and never had a problem. The boxes are stacked about 4 high. I am not concerned about "inner well damage," because I am not shifting them around. With my CGC count now floating about 500, I just do not have the room to store them any other way.

Uh, we did answer your question.

Unless you think there are CGC slabs SCS experts who specialize in the storage of slabs out there somewhere.

It's a matter of personal taste.

Forgive us for ruining a lame thread topic, we will go play elsewhere.

You both did answer, and for that I am extremely grateful. Your answers were helpful. It was the usual banter you guys regress to afterwards that prematurely appeared that I am taking issue with. poke2.gif

And I don't see this as solely a matter of personal taste. There are more than enough people on these boards whose opinions extend beyond that on this very type of question.

The best way to store CGC books long-term appears to be either:

1. Lying flat, if not piled too high

2. On their sides with the spine facing down.

Storing them upright, even if they are not shifted, seems to result in some slab damage over time. I seem to recall someone posting a book here that had gravity related SCS from upright storage. 893whatthe.gif

I store mine on the side with the spine facing down as well. I've thought about getting CGC boxes and storing them upright. However, after seeing the book that Beyonder posted where the book is starting to bow like this...(...I'm not sure I want to do that.

Why does it seem that lying it on the side with the spine facing down is so popular?

If there is a threat of the book, through time or gravity, pressing against the inner wall of the holder, is this not a concern with having the book lie on its spine as well?

I realize the spine is likely the strongest side of the book, but is this still not a potential problem so that placing the books flat would be preferable?

Why does it seem that lying it on the side with the spine facing down is so popular?

If there is a threat of the book, through time or gravity, pressing against the inner wall of the holder, is this not a concern with having the book lie on its spine as well?

I realize the spine is likely the strongest side of the book, but is this still not a potential problem so that placing the books flat would be preferable?

I would say that lying the book flat is the safest method. IF you are going to lay them on their side (maybe for space concerns) then the spine side is far less likely to incur gravity related damage.

popcorn.gif

I store mine flat, but not piled up. Actually Wal-Mart sells a plastic container that CGC slabs fit perfectly in. I have them stored in those right now.

I'm also looking into some nice wooden cabinets here in Japan that have multiple shallow drawers that would be excellent for flat storage.

I should try to get some pics and post them on here soon.

Say can you post a picture of those containers?