• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peace of Mind - The List of Sid's Luncheonette Marvels @NYComicCon

69 posts in this topic

seems to me with all you are attempting to do with these cool books (incredible how nice they are), I dont see how you can A) get maximum publicity and hype by keeping them together as long as possible. and B) sell all of them while C) maintaining the fairness you are striving for...

Based on numerous PM's, email to the website, etc., we are going to have to rethink at least one portion of this process.

at this time, we still intend to bring all the books to NYC and will only sell them there to live folks or their proxies. the concern we are now having is what to do IF there is sufficient interest to actually cause more than a handful of folks to show up early and have more than one of them queue up for the same book.

i'm not looking forward to the "excitement" that could be generated and still want to be fair. so we are rethinking what to do to avoid any issues in that first hour or so each day.

for the most part though, it will be just like any other booth at any other Con - walk right up and see if there's something you're interested in, if so and we're in agreement on price, it's yours........... grin.gif

more to follow................if necesary. Prices by monday...........(and maybe that will quiet things down, Aman)............. devil.gif

> Journey into Mystery #84 in 8.0 Off-White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #85 in 7.5 Off-White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #86 in 8.5 White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #87 in 8.5 Off-White to White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #88 in 9.2 Off-White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #89 in 8.5 Off-White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #90 in 8.5 Off-White Pages

Harry, it fascinates me to no end how the grades of many of your books seem to correlate to the condition found in the general population. Your early JIMs are a perfect illustration. All are VF-ish, which mirrors the fact that these books are notoriously hard to find in NM. But lo and behold, your one issue in NM-ish grade is #88, which mirrors the fact that this is the one early JIM that is relatively easy to find in NM. I noted this phenomenon with some of your DCs too, such as JLA 28.

Out of curiosity, did your collection have a TOS 48 and TTA 39, and if so, what grades were they?

> Journey into Mystery #84 in 8.0 Off-White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #85 in 7.5 Off-White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #86 in 8.5 White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #87 in 8.5 Off-White to White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #88 in 9.2 Off-White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #89 in 8.5 Off-White Pages

> Journey into Mystery #90 in 8.5 Off-White Pages

Harry, it fascinates me to no end how the grades of many of your books seem to correlate to the condition found in the general population. Your early JIMs are a perfect illustration. All are VF-ish, which mirrors the fact that these books are notoriously hard to find in NM. But lo and behold, your one issue in NM-ish grade is #88, which mirrors the fact that this is the one early JIM that is relatively easy to find in NM. I noted this phenomenon with some of your DCs too, such as JLA 28.

Out of curiosity, did your collection have a TOS 48 and TTA 39, and if so, what grades were they?

Tim; i've noticed this too.

i've also noticed that a White page phenomenom seems to exist, as well. the link has nice (7.5ish) copies of FF#5 and #6 up for sale and both have White pages as do mine. i think that FFB is dead-on when he opines that the paper quality on books varied from month to month and maybe even from issues within the month.

why do i have FF's that are 3 years newer with much higher grades but with inferior page quality despite the same precise storage conditions........ confused.gif

my TOS 48 is quite nice but never slabbed and for some remarkable reason, i only have copies of the even numbered early TTA's......... blush.gif

I also read somewhere that extreme changes in temperature hasten the break down process,so a batch of books that sat on loading docks,street corners,newstands,delivery trucks, etc. in the winter or summer months may have been affected in some way before we ever even purchased them.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Harry, you said that sometimes you would read an issue in the store and Sid would let you put it back and pick out another one to take home. Do you recall reading and returning any key books that now make you go doh!

?

fortunately my mind doesn't allow me to remember that........ grin.gif

but that was when the store was Jades and that would have been late 50's, when i was buying and reading everything, but mostly DC's. don't think i missed any Keys from that timeframe, but they didn't make it thru the past 47-48 years too well................ frown.gif

when you're 10-11, you don't really think about those things......... blush.gif

Thanks for the plug - link below!

Man, Byron...great presentation on the site!!! Good luck Harry!

Brad

Brad:

My html skills are all self taught - please do not make fun of me! If the site is any good, it is all because of Harry's fantastic comics cloud9.gif and not my web skills.

Happy weekend,

Byron

I wasn't poking fun. I just figured it was a massive amount of work to get all those books scanned and it may not have fancy bells and whistles but I can look at any book I want, and quickly.

Brad