• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you know it's the right time?

40 posts in this topic

Powajames...if you don't read the title, don't know the character, don't really know the artist, but the cover stopped you in your tracks and made you buy the cover, I'd say pick up the art.

I think the exact opposite.

There is WAY MORE cool art out there that you'd like to own but can't afford(I know that's the case for me). So if you drop your budget on a "cool page" today and a page you REALLY like comes up tomorrow you'll be kickin yourself. I've been there. When I first started collecting the "one of a kind" and "coolness" of pages was all it took for me to drop the hammer. You'll quickly regret that stack of pages when the cover you REALLY want shows up.

I dont know how much that specific cover is(yeah I could prbably look it up), but I'm guessing $400-$600. That's a pretty big chunk for something 'cool'. I'm betting with a little digging you can find the art you really want and direct those funds that way 893blahblah.gif

I totally agree w ith you guys about waiting for the right piece . Is just one of those things you "know" when you see it. I've been sitting on a very humble war chest for the past couple of months, and it burns a whole in my pocket on one hand, but I know if I spend it on something I like, but don't truly love, I would probably regret it. Sure, I could buy a cool low-level Kirby page (which is very tempting at times), but a lot of times I would rather have several pieces of art I absolutely LOVE, than one really cool page (that may be worth more, but I don't have as much affinity for). I really think you have to balance that. For example, there is a super nice Giordano Batman page from the early 1970s that I like a ton and could afford (and not affect the war chest too much), but the "like" isn't strong enough.

I love it when I find a nice page on eBay that I want for a relatively low price. Find out what you love, not like, and I think you will be happier. Do you have a favorite story? A nostalgic memory? That's the kind of stuff I go for first (TMNT/Miracleman/Flash/fave issues, etc.). Every once in a while you may get a feeling as well for somethign you normally wouldn't collect - and that's probably the love talking too smile.gif. I'm not a big artist guy. I go for memory and quality of the story - however - these elements typically come with exemplary art (or art that is looked upon more kindly with the vision of the future...staying power and readability can do a lot for the aura around an artists' work on a story).

Also, don't forget about the thrill of the hunt. Its always fun to wait and search for an item you truly like. This is a fun hobby, and it should remain fun. Always bear that in mind. - Keith .

BUT, one has to balance patience waiting for just the right piece - which could take a long time coming - with waiting too long and missing out on a piece that you merely like... but that you end up loving and regretting once it's sold to someone else.

Still, while there's only one of each page out there, there are a lot of pages out there... and more each day.

Find out what you love, not like, and I think you will be happier.

Hmmm, as a newbie, I'm struggling with this (thus the thread, I suppose). I haven't been hunting long enough to know what it's like. Perhaps finding the cover above is the same feeling people get finding something they love.

I think it's experience that I need. When I was first buying old comics or slabbed books, I had to learn what worked for me and what didn't by buying, not by reading or researching (which I did, obviously, but I still needed the experience to take my learning to the next level). But on a budget, a $350 cover is a hefty price to pay for experience.

One thing I have already learned is that I need to find a way to enjoy the art I have more. For example, I don't have a comic art fan page, but if I did, that would be one more way to share my joy and to view the pages when I'm not at home. So perhaps if I had more outlets, I wouldn't hesitate so much.

I think it's experience that I need. When I was first buying old comics or slabbed books, I had to learn what worked for me and what didn't by buying, not by reading or researching (which I did, obviously, but I still needed the experience to take my learning to the next level). But on a budget, a $350 cover is a hefty price to pay for experience.

Hey Powajemes.I just started collecting OA seriously about 16 months ago, so I have recently been/am still in your shoes.

Research is priceless (especially when you are keeping to a budget). Have you subscribed to the Market Data portion of Comic Art fans? Its like an ongoing online priceguide - it doesn't have a ton of older data in it other than Heritage and All-Star auctions (it only has eBay data back to August), but it can be alot of help in determining what to pay. Also, look at a bunch of dealer's sites with a lot of different art available (Artists Choice, Romitaman,Anthony's, Albert Moy, etc.) to get an idea of what to pay and/or use the general for sale search option on Comic Art Fans (it can be a lot of help in a small amount of time). And last, but certainly not least, ask around. I have a couple of "senior" art collectors (guys who have been doing this a lot longer than I have) that I bounce prices and the like off of. This has been extremely valuable, and it helps build a bond between you and other members of the community. Most OA collectors are quite helpful - its a great hobby that people want to share (thus the prevalence of CAF in a relatively short timespan). Feel free to PM me if you need any help. - Keith

Hey Powajemes.I just started collecting OA seriously about 16 months ago, so I have recently been/am still in your shoes.

Research is priceless (especially when you are keeping to a budget). Have you subscribed to the Market Data portion of Comic Art fans? Its like an ongoing online priceguide - it doesn't have a ton of older data in it other than Heritage and All-Star auctions (it only has eBay data back to August), but it can be alot of help in determining what to pay. Also, look at a bunch of dealer's sites with a lot of different art available (Artists Choice, Romitaman,Anthony's, Albert Moy, etc.) to get an idea of what to pay and/or use the general for sale search option on Comic Art Fans (it can be a lot of help in a small amount of time). And last, but certainly not least, ask around. I have a couple of "senior" art collectors (guys who have been doing this a lot longer than I have) that I bounce prices and the like off of. This has been extremely valuable, and it helps build a bond between you and other members of the community. Most OA collectors are quite helpful - its a great hobby that people want to share (thus the prevalence of CAF in a relatively short timespan). Feel free to PM me if you need any help. - Keith

I would echo all these sentiments. Also, stay involved on these boards, check out the forums on the comicartfans.com page, and also subscribe to the comicart-l yahoo group. Eventually, you'll learn everything you need to know, or at least you'll know who to contact for information.

Best,

These forums can be extremely helpful, but also expensive! I bought a total of two pages of OA from 1980-2005, but have already purchased four pages since starting here in September. 27_laughing.gif

One thing I do have to say, these boards rock!!!!

This forum has shaped into something really nice. For the most recently added forum, we now have more posts and views than everything except the three "big" groups Gold, Silver and Bronze, and are definitely catching up to them (they had about a four year head-start, after all)! We also consistently have the second highest number of viewers at any one time (after General, of course!).

I agree that these OA boards do rock...but I miss KK/Scourge because I think in every hobby you need a few characters who rock the boat and make things a little more interesting(even if the persona what a sham). I think it adds a lot of character to the hobby. It's like flavors of ice cream...chocolate and vanilla are great day in and day out, but it's good to have a little rocky road or mint chocolate chip thrown in for color and variety.

I agree that these OA boards do rock...but I miss KK/Scourge because I think in every hobby you need a few characters who rock the boat and make things a little more interesting(even if the persona what a sham). I think it adds a lot of character to the hobby. It's like flavors of ice cream...chocolate and vanilla are great day in and day out, but it's good to have a little rocky road or mint chocolate chip thrown in for color and variety.

Mmmmm, ice cream. thumbsup2.gif

Agreed. I never had a problem with either of them. Rather than relying on moderators, we might want to think about voting on whether folks should be banned. Just a thought.

One thing you'll quickly learn is that the "pretty cool" pages outnumber the "FANTASTIC, gotta have it!" pages by a factor of about 100 to 1. You're much better off waiting for something that really SPEAKS to you (and you will know it when it happens). In the meantime, save your money in case the really nice piece is a bit pricier. In the long run, you'll be much happier with quality rather than quantity.

I agree with this in general, but let me play devil's advocate and say that I feel that this strategy also has consequences worth thinking about.

Particularly if you're on a budget, this might mean that (a) you're going to be buying VERY few pieces, and (b) each piece you buy will be expensive to you and therefore likely an agonizing decision.

I guess my point is that this strategy can be taken too far. If you're only buying one piece every year (or longer) and having to stress over pulling the trigger because it's a big monetary decision for you, then the hobby might end up being no fun.

I went through this many years ago when I was on a tighter budget and interested in buying nice GA Marvels. I ended up leaving that segment of the hobby for awhile because it was just no fun buying one book a year for a grand or whatever and having to stress over making the right decision. I picked up a handful of nice books but on the balance it ended up being not much fun.

So, while I do think it's wise to think carefully before you buy the first thing you see that looks kinda cool, sometimes I will buy something cheap that falls within my collecting parameters just for the joy of making a stress-free acquisition and adding something cool to my collection.

I guess my point is that this strategy can be taken too far. If you're only buying one piece every year (or longer) and having to stress over pulling the trigger because it's a big monetary decision for you, then the hobby might end up being no fun.

I'm OK with this. I bought a couple of pieces last year in the $200 range that will stay in my collection unless I can trade them for better pieces in a similar vein. I only bought one other piece in the past year and that will never leave my collection unless I'm destitute smile.gif But I'm happier to have a small number of high quality pieces than a bunch of so-so stuff that doesn't do anything for me. I have one hanging on my wall that I look at every day.

Agreed. I never had a problem with either of them. Rather than relying on moderators, we might want to think about voting on whether folks should be banned. Just a thought.

I believe there were problems with PMs that KK sent as well as his postings. Only the moderator has the complete set of facts and, they, unfortunately, don't post them for the everyone to see.

Sometimes I think the Mods are too quick to ban people. However in the case of KK, it was probably the right decision. He did have a useful contribution to make but unfortunately, the dark side of his personality far outweighed any productive influence he may have had.

...and was I the only person sick of his constant references to monetary value? Where would the fun be in the hobby if that's all we really thought about? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif