• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing & Printing rollers wrinkles

14 posts in this topic

Do you know if pressing a book will take out the printing rollers wrinkles ?

This could be a clue to determine if a book have been pressed.

I think it may depend on the book, if the creases are very light, then possibly, but Matt Neslon told me that 90% of the time, you can't press out printer creases..

Thanks, but I'm talking about the printing rollers wrinkles and not the printer creases. poke2.gif

This is mostly important: if you can see the rollers wrinkles it should said that your book never been pressed 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The hell is a roller wrinkle? Gee, after 8 years in the printing industry I never heard of a roller wrinkle.Like most anything else that gets printed it gets printed between 2 large blankets cyinders and there are 4 of them,black,blue,red and yellow. I highly doubt the wrinkles are coming from these rollers since the paper has tension on it (Over 100 pounds) and it's sent through the press very smoothly and if there were wrinkles coming from one of the blankets,the units have eys that read the paper,if a wrinkle hits the eye,the paper will break causing the press to shut down and if you look at a book that made it through you would have 3 out of the 4 colors on the book where the wrinkle is.But it could be some build up on an angle bar cause it to give a wrinkle,just a chunk of ink built up over time due to a lack of silicone being applied...but like a problem with your car...could be anything.

well, I don't think I've seen a book quite as wavey as your example above,, but I would guess that pressing would take those out...

I thought that a book that looks wavy like that was a clear example of a book that has been pressed and badly..NOT of one that hasn't been pressed,

oh and one more thing, before you go pokey sticking me,,..learn some English..

"This could be a clue to determine if a book have been pressed"

"if you can see the rollers wrinkles it should said that your book never been pressed"

learn how to talk ya freakin' Frenchmen.. poke2.gif

I think that pressing would remove roller wrinkles, but I'm not sure the after-pressing results would determine whether the book has been pressed. The only case where you could determine pressing would be if the entire print run had printer wrinkles, which I don't think is the case with any single run. Otherwise, the owner of the book could just claim that the book was one of the ones without the wrinkle in the first place. Make sense?

I think i know what he means by roller wrinkles, but it's hard to explain. They almost look like faint tire tracks running across the book. I seem to recall them, though, more on modern books than older ones.

Hi Jeff hi.gif

I would like to determine if this equation could work:

If a book have evident roller wrinkles

&

If pressing removes roller wrinkles

then

The book is not pressed

Nope. The book might still have been pressed using localized pressing with a tacking iron on one corner, for example.

I think i know what he means by roller wrinkles, but it's hard to explain. They almost look like faint tire tracks running across the book. I seem to recall them, though, more on modern books than older ones.

Yes you got it, silver to modern, I didn't saw them on golden age

Nope. The book might still have been pressed using localized pressing with a tacking iron on one corner, for example.

Thanks Scott,

Off course, localized pressing using an iron is still possible.