• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you buy Uncanny X-Men 100 or 101

21 posts in this topic

Im at a loss and am going to be picking up one of these issues but not sure which is better as I can only afford one right now. What would you choose if both were the same grade and raw. Im interested in the Phoenix and see that both of these have a story and claim to first app. Any help would be appreciated. Which one would you choose and why. 893frustrated.gif

She uses the Phoenix power in the last pages of 100 but only comes out of the water claiming she's Phoenix and Jean Grey is no more in 101 and is all over the cover so I vote for 101 as true first app? Also I'd pick 101 as it is the hot book to flip NOW. I'd hold onto 100 as it fetches a premium even the non variant cover...a NM+ 30 cent variant of X-men 100 is a treasure to be put up for display (even though there are probably tons of them, this is considered by some as the only 30 cent variant to qualify as a "key" (minor key?) - get Joe_Collector's input on this one...

#100, classic cover and anniversary issue, new team versus old. This issue has greater long term appeal than #101 which is likely to ride high on movie hype for a while and then fade away.

Buy both, you deserve to spoil yourself every once in a while grin.gif

However, understanding that you can only purchase one, and being an owner of both issues, and having read both, I think the 101 is a better comic, and its really debatable whether 100's cover is better eye candy...... hmmmm 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, you should just buy both... grin.gif

and its really debatable whether 100's cover is better eye candy...... hmmmm

I don't think theres too much doubt that #100's cover has a wider appeal.

All the X-Men old and new squaring off. Whichever is your favourite X-Man you will be happy.

I like the cover to #101 also, but it is basically a one trick pony.

For the Phoenix angle, definitely go with X-Men 101, as it's got the cool cover and the first full appearance.

That said, X-Men 100 is the more attractive comic, and definitely a better long-term buy.

You could look at X-Men 100 and 101 like we look at Amazing Spidey 100 and 101.

While ASM101 was "super-hot" because of one character

for a short period of time...now that things have "settled",

ASM100 is the better book, overall.

Both have their appeal, but I definitely consider 101 as the first appearance of Jean Grey as the Phoenix.

However, I get goosepimples thinking of X3 starting with Jean Grey emerging from the lake in Alberta as the full-on Phoenix (with flowing red hair and the green and gold outfit) as she did in X-Men 101! Now and forever she is Phoenix!

I wonder if Mastermind (aka Jason Stryker) survived? Perhaps he catches her attention and she saves him only to be manipulated by his illusions enough to restore him to some semblance of normality?

I have the Bowen statue of Jean emerging as the Phoenix beside my desk even as I write this. It is one of the most enduring images of the New X-Men for me and the first issue of the run that I bought myself (at a thrift store back in 1979 for a thin dime!). What a great cover!

100 may have the big battle between the teams and all, and Jean's ultimate sacrifice piloting the shuttle to get the teams back home, but 101 was a fantastic opportunity to get to know the X-Men out of costume... a pivotal book IMO for setting up the series soap opera elements... from Jean's emergence as the Phoenix to the scenes with her in the hospital with Scott and the others, to Wolverine's obvious interest in Jean when he goes to see her, to learning about Banshee's heritage, etc.

Kev

The 100, better cover although 101 is the "key" book because of the first Phoenix appearance. 101 is going to be ultra hot for a while because of the movie so for that reason alone I'd hold off on that one since you'll be paying premiums right now. A 9.6 white of 101 went for $660 just about a week ago, usually sells in the $350 range.

However, I get goosepimples thinking of X3 starting with Jean Grey emerging from the lake in Alberta as the full-on Phoenix (with flowing red hair and the green and gold outfit) as she did in X-Men 101! Now and forever she is Phoenix!

And that should have been how X-2 should have ended. With the screen fading quickly to black and the credits starting to roll right after we saw her again for the first time. WOW!

From what I've been reading in EW and elsewhere, that ending was shot and added to the film as late as March of this year! The Jean Grey sacrifice ending was added as an afterthought, and her role was beefed up to enhance the emerging Phoenix power (which was triggered by Magneto's mutant wave in X1 - you can actually see her being affected by it) to fit in with the new ending.

Kev

#100 definitely. Collectors seems to like the anniversary issues (#50, #100) and there's no guarantee that the Phoenix storyline will still be desirable a decade from now (though I suspect it probably will be).

Jim

Also which one do you forsee going up the most if hype keeps going.
Actually, I would say the movie hype is at its height right now; if you're buying to flip the book, then you're probably too late to turn a meaningful profit. If, on the other hand, you're buying to flip the book during the height of the movie hype for X3, then since that movie will likely feature Phoenix in a big way, then I would buy 101; the cover is a classic shot that will likely be featured in the movie.