• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanning OA

12 posts in this topic

Quick question. Does Kinkos or some other place have scanners big enough to scan an entire piece of OA? I don't have a scanner and want to find somewhere to scan the images and put them on a disc for me so I can upload 'em and show the onine world.

I have an 11 by 17 scanner. It cost me around $200.

If you go to kinkos you'll have to go through a two step process. Either scanning the pages in two part and then marrying them together in Photoshop OR shrinking them down on a photocopier and then scanning them in one piece at 8.5 by 11. Unless you're looking to make high quality, perfect scans (like you were scanning them for publication,) photocopy, then scan is probably the way to go.

IO have an 11 by 17 scanner. It cost me around $200.

If you go to kinkos you'll have to go through a two step process. Either scanning the pages in two part and then marrying them together in Photoshop OR shrinking them down on a photocopier and then scanning them in one piece at 8.5 by 11. Unless you're looking to make high quality, perfect scans (like you were scanning them for publication,) photocopy, then scan is probably the way to go.

I don't have an 11x17 scanner (athough I probably should get one!), and I go the Kinko's route. I copy the stuff on one of the large color copiers, have it print it out as 8x11, and then scan it on my regular size scanner at home. It works pretty well (and it gives you color copies of your OA - i'm not sure, but that could be helpful for insurance purposes - but maybe not).

Wow! Kinkos wanted to charge $23 for eight B&W scans. I have two pieces with spot color, and they wanted $20 each for those. I can understand that price for a copy, but for a scan and jpeg, that's crazy.

I'll find other means....

Wow! Kinkos wanted to charge $23 for eight B&W scans. I have two pieces with spot color, and they wanted $20 each for those. I can understand that price for a copy, but for a scan and jpeg, that's crazy.

I'll find other means....

Don't go to the counter. Use the self service machines.

I use a standard scanner and Photoshop the pieces together. It's a pain in the @ss though.

Thats what I do, then I print them out on 11x17 stock at work. Instead of framing the actual OA, I frame the copies so no light damage comes to the originals. Since I swapped them, no one has noticed. smile.gif

Finally got 'er done. Scanned 'em all at work on one of our printers, shrunk the image to a little larger than 8x10, and scanned 'em again to make jpegs. So in a few hours, I'll finally be part of the crowd at Comic Art Fans. Yeeeee haw.