• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

League of Xtraordinary Gentlemen?

10 posts in this topic

The comic is great, a real mix of historical characters from different genres (horror, detective etc).

I am not sure how the movie will translate though, I have heard that there was lots of person_without_enough_empathying and in-fighting between cast and crew during filming.

It looks interesting though, I will be checking it out when it opens.

Anyone else catch this preview before the X2 movie? This is a comic by Allan Moore isn't it? The movie looks not too bad, any other opinions on it?

Brian

I remember reading something about problems between Sean Connery and other LXG cast members... I'm not sure what kind of an impact the conflict between cast members had on the making of the film. From the trailer, the F/X looked pretty good, and I really liked the comic the movie is based on.

every time i see connery i think of will ferrell in the SNL Jeopardy skits. my favorite is the one where he is trying to pick the category "the pen is mightier" and he keeps saying "the [!@#%^&^] mightier" and everytime trebek corrects him, connery slaps him down. kills me every time insane.gif

I read that the director and Connery pretty much hated each other during the filming of the movie. I think the movie sets also flooded last year during that big flood in Prague last year and that caused a big delay and then an increase in the cost of filming. I'm always a big Connery (although my favorite SNL skit is the one where Will Ferrell pronounces "Therapists" as "The Rapists") and Moore fan so I'll definitely check it out.

Same stuff happenned on the X-Men2 set(fighting, temper tantrums, budget overruns) and that turned out pretty dang good. But, all in all I still think the trailer has that Phantom slash Shadow look that is so sad considering the director is great, the book it is based off of is great and the cast is amazing. Hope the movie is nothing like the trailer.

Like Mike S said, Connery and the director were at odds for basically the entire production and the floods in Prague destroyed, ironically, the set for Nemo's Submarine. That set production back a bit as well.

I think that this is going to be a movie more for fans of the comic (whereas X-men has cross-over to the masses appeal). Don't know if Joe Public will "get" the premise of the story or understand much of what is referenced. I think that I am pretty "well read" as far as literary "classics" go, and it took me more than one reading to pick up on all the references that Moore throws at you.

BTW - An absolutely fantastic read (both Vol. 1& 2). And the great news is that after months and months of waiting, the new issue comes out tomorrow!!!!!!! Wooohoooo!!!!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Chris