• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant - how much did it do for the comic industry (good or bad)?

120 posts in this topic

VM Speaking of Bloodshot. Do we know for certain how many Bloodshot Plat error books there are. I would love to own one but they seem to almost never come up for sale and the price is starting to get really heavy. That is the holy grail in my opinion to collect.

Valiantman, can you comment on who VIP is and what their relationship is to the new Valiant ownership?

It is my understanding that VIP has purposefully chosen to remain "unnamed"

and is only known through their legal representative (Michael Lovitz).

I believe that discussions have taken place between VIP and the new Valiant ownership,

but I don't have any details of what was said when, or how the discussions have gone.

Personally, I don't see how VIP could possibly win in the long run...

the Valiant collector market is small enough as it is...

and the fans are aware that VIP filed for trademarks for characters that they not only don't own,

but they didn't even bother to bid on. VIP products (whatever they might be) would be

boycotted by the same (small) audience they would be intended for.

It's in everyone's best interest for VIP and the new Valiant ownership to reach some conclusion

that puts the trademarks back in the hands of the group that actually owns the characters.

However, the legal system is set up in such a way that this could drag

out for years... though I don't know how that would benefit anyone.

VM Speaking of Bloodshot. Do we know for certain how many Bloodshot Plat error books there are. I would love to own one but they seem to almost never come up for sale and the price is starting to get really heavy. That is the holy grail in my opinion to collect.

We don't know for certain how many exist...

In fact, I have heard that the actual number could be closer to 300.

Various former Valiant employees remember anywhere from none, to 25, to 300.

When in doubt, it's probably the higher number...

since that number must have come from somewhere.

is this a normal end price for this item???

http://cgi.ebay.com/VALIANT-Eternal-Warr...1QQcmdZViewItem

The last sale was about 18 months ago for $133.

I'm not overly surprised by the $255 final price...

but I would caution that a discovery of even five of these

would probably send the price spiraling down...

not to mention what would happen if a hundred turned up.

This particular book has eluded a lot of Valiant completionists,

so it is being driven up by those who see it as the last piece in the puzzle.

(The unsigned version can be found for $0.50, so it's the signatures,

the certificate, the embossed seal, and "ability to cross it off the checklist"

that are really the things being bought.)

I don't know about a 'normal price' but it is a hard book to get your hands on. What your looking at is a signed and authenticated copy of Eternal Warriors 27 from Valiant Comics. I believe Greg's site list the book at under 1,000 copies but honestly I haven't seen more then a handful ever be offered to the public. There are a handful of fans who would love to own a copy of this book to complete their collection so that might explain the price. It's definately going to be $100+ anytime you see one hit eBay.

yeah I did not have it and am closing in on the set of VVSS but I was not expecting more then about $150.00----HOWEVER I ahve not not gone after VVSS in over 2 years so I guess my knowledge on their prices is out dated

thanks for the infor VM

yeah I did not have it and am closing in on the set of VVSS but I was not expecting more then about $150.00----HOWEVER I ahve not not gone after VVSS in over 2 years so I guess my knowledge on their prices is out dated

thanks for the infor VM

If they showed up on Ebay a little more often, I'm sure $150 would be reasonable.

It's probably the 18-month gap that drove this particular copy above $250...

if another shows up in the next month or two, it should end lower (but ultimately, anything goes).

This book was limited to "less than 1,000 copies" according to the certificate,

but since they're rarely seen, I wouldn't be surprised if a case or two of them

were unsold and possibly sitting unopened somewhere.

(But when or if they're ever found is of course unknown.)

thanks for your info VM...BTW alwasy thought your website was good and helpful

Valiant may or maynot ever come on strong but most of the pre unity issues are the ell written and better then most things Marvel and DC put out in the same time period.

* Note * the above statement is in general. Valaint had some junk and Marvel and Dc has some good stuff smile.gif

I don't know about a 'normal price' but it is a hard book to get your hands on. What your looking at is a signed and authenticated copy of Eternal Warriors 27 from Valiant Comics. I believe Greg's site list the book at under 1,000 copies but honestly I haven't seen more then a handful ever be offered to the public. There are a handful of fans who would love to own a copy of this book to complete their collection so that might explain the price. It's definately going to be $100+ anytime you see one hit eBay.

Don't forget the part about it being offered by an established ebay comic seller with 100% feedback on over 1,000 transactions.... 893blahblah.gif

headbang.gif

I see by the name and looing again on ebay

CONGRATS!!

Honestly was it $100 more of so then you expected or what did you "feel' it would sell for

As far as I am concerned, I say way to go for you. yay.gif If I had one I would sell it for that myself

headbang.gif

I see by the name and looing again on ebay

CONGRATS!!

Honestly was it $100 more of so then you expected or what did you "feel' it would sell for

As far as I am concerned, I say way to go for you. yay.gif If I had one I would sell it for that myself

I was pleasantly surprised. Figured it would top out around $175 or so...

me too frown.gif

thats why i bid on 3-4 of them to have them in my area without it being "watched"

Unforn....I forgot about the ending time and did not look at any of them again until they were over foreheadslap.gif

Hey valiantman, i think you had a list of the keys on your site somewhere. Could i get a link please.

"Most Wanted" issues... in terms of secondary market value:

(by category, regular issues separated from incentives, signature books, etc.)

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/mostwanted.asp

The pre-Unity issues (earliest Valiant books):

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/issuelist.asp

I should mention that the Pre-Unity list is also a CGC Registry set:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/set_type_detail.asp?SetTypeID=169

Thanks Valiant Man. I've never read a Valiant in my life. During the early nineties i was reading Marvels and always stayed away from them but for some reason i feel like checking out some of those Pre-Unity books.

Here's a really cheap (free) way to get some extra info on those books:

http://www.sequart.com/columns/?col=13

In addition to this article (on X-O Manowar), there are archived columns on the left (Magnus, Solar, etc.).

This was a very interesting thread and even though it's quite old I thought I would say something. I remember when the Valiant craze started. I actually got in on the Valiant titles right when they came out. I wanted to read something else besides all the Marvel and DC titles out there. I quit reading all the titles right before Unity hit. That's when the prices went crazy for the back issues. I was never into the comics for specualting. When people approached me to buy my back issues and offered me insane amounts of money how could I refuse? Some people were paying me four or five times the guide for them. I ended up buying some 70's ASM for them and some other titles. I knew things were going bad for comics when people who called me a comic geek asked if I had any Valiants for sale.

I can still remember selling off my Valiants (loved the content, but hated the specs and was getting out of new comics anyway) and using that store credit to buy a few stacks of BA. A few poor saps at the counter were making jabs at me for "selling out of a *sure thing*" and "buying those stupid Marvels".

Oh well, live and learn I guess. 27_laughing.gif

I did much the same thing but i used the cash to buy a bunch of nicer grade silver. Didn't regret it then and certainly don't now. One of the best comic decisions I ever made. Plus, almost all of the stuff I sold was duplicates. I still have my pre-unity copies of Solar and Magnus.