• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant - how much did it do for the comic industry (good or bad)?

120 posts in this topic

Hey valiantman, i think you had a list of the keys on your site somewhere. Could i get a link please.

"Most Wanted" issues... in terms of secondary market value:

(by category, regular issues separated from incentives, signature books, etc.)

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/mostwanted.asp

The pre-Unity issues (earliest Valiant books):

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/issuelist.asp

Thanks Valiant Man. I've never read a Valiant in my life. During the early nineties i was reading Marvels and always stayed away from them but for some reason i feel like checking out some of those Pre-Unity books.

yeahok.gif I'll believe it when I see it...and again, do they own the the rights to the stalwarts of the Valiant line or are we likely to see more Ninjack and Visitor? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A Valiant relaunch would definitely include X-O Manowar, Shadowman,

Harbinger, Rai, Eternal Warrior, Archer & Armstrong, Bloodshot...

...not to mention a few good villains. grin.gif

Classic Media is handling the licensing for (Gold Key characters) Solar, Magnus, and Turok...

but it's pretty obvious that there hasn't been a successful product created

with those characters since they were part of the Valiant/Acclaim lineup.

Surely the smart people at Classic Media would be willing to talk to (new) Valiant.

The new owners are big-time (early) Valiant fans...

not "suits" looking to make an investment (like Acclaim was).

Valiant will likely never rival Marvel or D.C. (again)...

but there's no way that even the die-hard Marvel or D.C. collectors

can "own" those full universes. (Ian Levine, yes... everyone else? no.)

Personally, I won't start a project I know I can't finish, and collecting Marvel or D.C. is a losing proposition.

Either I have to collect only "part" of Marvel or DC books (by age, by character, by title),

or I have to win the lottery.

I'm not digging a hole to China, I'm not packing for a trip in a time machine,

I'm not swimming across the Atlantic Ocean, and I'm not going to "collect" Marvel or D.C.

Anyone can start any of these "fantasy" projects, but they won't finish.

Thanks Valiant Man. I've never read a Valiant in my life. During the early nineties i was reading Marvels and always stayed away from them but for some reason i feel like checking out some of those Pre-Unity books.

A good starting point is Magnus #0 - #12, or Solar #1-#10.

The Solar origin is also pretty easy to find in a trade paperback,

called "Alpha & Omega"... usually around cover price ($9.95) on Ebay

(sometimes including shipping).

Pre-Unity stories reprinted in trades for Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Shadowman, and Rai

are often found for about 1/2 of cover ($5 to $6).

(Other trades of Solar or Magnus might be more expensive than the original books.)

Thanks. I will definetly check out Magnus and Solar, maybe Rai 1-5 as well. Would be nice to get Rai 3, 4 and Magnus 12.

What do you think of this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VALIANT-CGC-9-6-WH...1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice collection.

And since he he wont accept bidders from outside the uk you'll likely have little competition.

I say, GO FOR IT thumbsup2.gif

"The new owners of the VALIANT characters assure the fans that preparations are being made to relaunch across multiple multimedia platforms." - Jeff Gomez, talking on the VALIANT panel discussion at Big Apple Con, March 31-April 2, 2006

Translated: Expect a few new Turok cart games.

"The new owners of the VALIANT characters assure the fans that preparations are being made to relaunch across multiple multimedia platforms." - Jeff Gomez, talking on the VALIANT panel discussion at Big Apple Con, March 31-April 2, 2006

Not exactly... Acclaim is gone.

The new owners aren't a video game manufacturer,

and Turok isn't among the current assets.

So, nope and nope.

(But, it's entirely possible that a Turok game is in development somewhere, just not related to Valiant.)

Not exactly... Acclaim is gone.

The new owners aren't a video game manufacturer,

and Turok isn't among the current assets.

So, nope and nope.

(But, it's entirely possible that a Turok game is in development somewhere, just not related to Valiant.)

But his point is well taken. Even if it's not specifically Turok, they are clearly stating that they'll be releasing stuff other than comics.

But his point is well taken. Even if it's not specifically Turok, they are clearly stating that they'll be releasing stuff other than comics.

No... J_C's supposed point is that the product will automatically be something lame.

Sorry, but I don't subscribe to his always-pessimistic-fortune-telling methods.

Multiple media platforms means movies, television, comics, graphic novels, statues, toys, etc.

J_C's "Turok cart" is a sarcastic comment at best, and a mean-spirited comment at worst.

(...or should I say, "as usual".)

He'd be a great toilet salesman, since he's constantly demonstrating how to use one.

(14,879 flushes... and counting!)

Exactly, and the reference is obviously to anything BUT comic books.

Comics may *technically* be part of multi + media, but NO ONE today uses the term "multimedia" to refer to paper+ink products - it's more games, movies, cartoons, etc. - stuff that sticks to the conventional definition of combining audio, graphics, text and animation.

J_C's "Turok cart" is a sarcastic comment at best, and a mean-spirited comment at worst.

He'd be a great toilet salesman, since he's constantly demonstrating how to use one.

Whoa Nelly!!

I knew you were a Valiant fanboy, but this is a bit too much. 893whatthe.gif

Whoa Nelly!!

I knew you were a Valiant fanboy, but this is a bit too much. 893whatthe.gif

Actually, I'm a comic book fan...

and I've yet to see you say anything positive about one.

What exactly is your purpose in life?

Multiple media platforms means movies, television, comics, graphic novels, statues, toys, etc.

That is NOT what he said. He used the specific term "multimedia" which is clearly defined and does not include comics. "Multiple multimedia platforms" would entail several cart game platforms (PS3/XBOX/GC, etc.), PC games or applications, movie or TV animation, or other digital uses.

Which makes sense, given we're in 2006 and comics are a dead end.

Multimedia:

"Used essentially to define applications and technologies that manipulate text, data, images, voice and full motion video objects."

"Presenting data in more than one medium, such as combining text, graphics and sound."

"A combination of various types of media, including sound, animation, video and graphics."

"The integration of different media, including text, graphics, audio, video and animation, in one program."

"The presentation of information or entertainment by a combination of data, images and sounds. Can be delivered in a variety of ways - on a computer disk, through modified televisions, or using a computer connected to a telecommunications channel."

That is NOT what he said. He used the specific term "multimedia" which is clearly defined and does not include comics.

Multimedia:

"Used essentially to define applications and technologies that manipulate text, data, images, voice and full motion video objects."

"Presenting data in more than one medium, such as combining text, graphics and sound."

"A combination of various types of media, including sound, animation, video and graphics."

"The integration of different media, including text, graphics, audio, video and animation, in one program."

"The presentation of information or entertainment by a combination of data, images and sounds. Can be delivered in a variety of ways - on a computer disk, through modified televisions, or using a computer connected to a telecommunications channel."

So, why did you suggest "Turok cart video game", when there's never been a cart,

we've already mentioned that Turok isn't part of the slate of characters,

Acclaim (the video game manufacturer) went belly-up and bankrupt,

and "video game" is much less of a multimedia product by definition than a movie.

"Expect a Bloodshot movie to be in the works" would have at least been an educated guess.

Still grasping at Turok straws, eh?

I admit I just posted that off the top of my head (since I remember some old Turok games) but it does NOT take away from my point.

THIS ANNOUNCEMENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COMICS.

Still grasping at Turok straws, eh?

I admit I just posted that off the top of my head (since I remember some old Turok games) but it does NOT take away from my point.

THIS ANNOUNCEMENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COMICS.

It goes above and beyond comics.

It says, "Hey, Valiant COMIC fans, the new owners are planning to take it to a whole new level!"

You say "potato", and I say "french fries, mashed, scalloped, tater tots, chips, and wedges for everyone!"

JC why don't you add some value to this thread. Why haven't you been banned yet since making contributions to the advancement of collecting comics is not in your plans. Your negatively is really starting to bug a lot of people. There are some really good discussions that could happen in regards to the Valiant universe and where it is going so move on to some other thread. Valiantman is a pretty cool person that you couldn't even be allowed to shine his shoes. flowerred.gif

JC why don't you add some value to this thread. Why haven't you been banned yet since making contributions to the advancement of collecting comics is not in your plans. Your negatively is really starting to bug a lot of people. There are some really good discussions that could happen in regards to the Valiant universe and where it is going so move on to some other thread. Valiantman is a pretty cool person that you couldn't even be allowed to shine his shoes. flowerred.gif

I'll agree with that. I really like JC when he contributes as he has a lot of good knowledge and knows his stuff but sadly as of late it's getting hard to look past the one-liners.