• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Holy Terrible Super Bowl Officiating!

367 posts in this topic

I have TiVo (dvr actually, but same thing) and watched numerous replays on ESPN. There's no doubt Djackson pushed off.

Madden said it best with his "if you WANT to call a penalty, you probably can on EVERY SINGLE PLAY", but it really comes down to what is called, what are the accepted limits, and what is the "accepted practice" during the entire season.

And that kind of "incidental contact" between WR and DB happens virtually every play, is never called, and many of the Steeler's receivers did far worse during the game.

Obviously, the pushoff was not "accepted practice." The foul occurred three feet from the ref standing under the goalpost. Darrell Jackson didn't even protest the play because he knew he was caught redhanded.

Pushing a defender off to create space to make a catch is not incidental contact. There's a huge difference between the two.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that refs are told to favor a certain team, but I'm far from thinking the game was fixed.

Of course refs are told to favor certain teams, as revenue is everything. I saw a documentary on how sports are changing and being influenced by "big business", and some old NBA refs "whistle blow" that popular and large market teams did get preferential treatment in the playoffs. It makes sense, as a NY-LA Finals would make the NBA hundreds of millions.

No specific NFL accusations, but if it happens in the NBA..

For all of you who seriously think the play-calling was just and fair:

Link to ESPN Forums where NFL fans are speaking out....

Apparently, its not only us "whining" Seattle fans who see what's really going on.

The reason for this slanted whining is that all the Steelers fans are out partying and celebrating while the Seattle ans and those who lost a bundle betting against them are sulking at their computer.

Seriously though. Are you saying it would have been great officiating for the refs to have allowed the push-off for a TD in a game of this magnitude? Given a TD to guy who didn't get both feet down on a catch? Reversed a TD on the goal line where in replay it could be seen that the ball met the white line in the air?

The only calls I thought were bad against the Seahawks were the low block call and the fumble call that got reversed. If it was a conspiracy, the refs wouldn't have corrected the fumble call.

The calls weren't the difference maker in this game. Try turnovers, missed catches, missed field goals, and the play calling.

No one was robbed here, the Steelers earned a great victory. They executed a great game plan and made the plays when they counted.

Hines Ward pushed off on at least two big plays. Never called.

Seattle DE Bryce Fisher was held severely at least three times (that I saw). Never called once. Yet Sean Locklear was called for holding on a critical play that at least a half-dozen analysts have come out and said was bogus.

If you're really so delusional to think this game was called fairly, and that the only ones speaking up about it are Seahawk fans and people who lost money, you deserve to be the first person on these Boards I decide to put on *IGNORE*

I didn't see Hines Ward push off during the game. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but what two big plays are you talking about?

Pushing a defender off to create space to make a catch is not incidental contact. There's a huge difference between the two.

Why not tell that to the refs and Hines Ward? He was pushing more than a drug dealer in a playground.

Charger/Bengal fan here. At least Cincy beat up Pitt once this year. thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gifhm893scratchchin-thumb.gif But then we did lose to them twice foreheadslap.gif Oh, well. frown.gif

I was pulling for Seattle. Hated all those dropped passes. And where the heck is Alexander? I don't care how "good" Pitt's defense was supposed to have been. Seattle's coaches should have had some creative/intelligent plays and the offensive line should have given him the blocks he needed.

Charger/Bengal fan here. At least Cincy beat up Pitt once this year. thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gifhm893scratchchin-thumb.gif But then we did lose to them twice foreheadslap.gif Oh, well. frown.gif

I was pulling for Seattle. Hated all those dropped passes. And where the heck is Alexander? I don't care how "good" Pitt's defense was supposed to have been. Seattle's coaches should have had some creative/intelligent plays and the offensive line should have given him the blocks he needed.

There are an overwhelming number of defensive players in the league that claim Alexander is soft. He did nothing to disprove that tonight. frown.gif I saw him rip off a single decent run of 13 yards (I think) but he had his entire O-Line pushing for him. He has some decent moves but he's not any sort of bruising back.

edit: Alexander did actually run for 95 yards on 20 carries, just under 5 yds a carry. Nothing amazing, especially not for the MVP.

Alexander 20/95 yards Thats pretty good against whats supposed to be the best D in the league Dropped passes + two missed field goals + terrible clock management and head scratching play calls + some very questionable calls = Steelers 5th title. Nothing against the Steelers but they did little to win this game themselves

I didn't see Hines Ward push off during the game. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but what two big plays are you talking about?

Omit the "big". They weren't big plays, they were just plays where he stuck his arm out to get seperation and did. It wasn't major (neither was D-Jacks), but it wasn't called either.

As for D-Jack "knowing" he pushed off, he was shaking his head and had a look of disgust as he was heading back to the huddle. Sure didn't look like a guilty man to me.

In big games, great players step up and Alexander sure didn't do that! Hasselbeck sure didn't get much help from his supporting cast! Big Ben didn't play that well but he did make some big plays in the clutch!

are you kidding? Big Ben was Big [embarrassing lack of self control]. 9/21 with two picks? Pitt won on a gadget play, a great play call to set up a long run and a td run that was questionable at best Best pass of the night was obviously Randle Els option pass , a perfect strike on the run! Roethlisberger is yet another example of a average at best QB managing a superior team Guy tosses out a few lame picks and can still win thanks to D and some creative play calls from a very good coach

are you kidding? Big Ben was Big [embarrassing lack of self control]. 9/21 with two picks? Pitt won on a gadget play, a great play call to set up a long run and a td run that was questionable at best Best pass of the night was obviously Randle Els option pass , a perfect strike on the run! Roethlisberger is yet another example of a average at best QB managing a superior team Guy tosses out a few lame picks and can still win thanks to D and some creative play calls from a very good coach

You clearly did not see the three Steeler AFC playoff games to be talking about Ben like that....

Interesting quote from Michael Wilbon of ESPN/PTI fame:

The Seahawks should have been ahead by a couple of touchdowns, yet found themselves down 7-3 at halftime because the referees blew another call. Roethlisberger's third-down dive into the end zone simply was not a touchdown, though it was called that on the field. Because less than two minutes remained, the call was reviewed in the booth. And everybody in the stadium plus everybody at home could see, clear and conclusively, that Big Ben didn't get the ball across the goal line. It wasn't a touchdown, plain and simple. Yet, the call stood and the Steelers had a touchdown they shouldn't have had.

Another penalty assessed to the Seahawks early in the fourth quarter, which negated a gain that took the Seahawks to the 1, also never happened. A penalty against Hasselbeck for blocking below the waist when, in fact, he was trying to tackle the interceptor, was also erroneous. It would be irresponsible to say the officials were intentionally cheating Seattle. But the bad calls killed the Seahawks — killed them.

Glad some of the national media are speaking out....

You clearly did not see the three Steeler AFC playoff games to be talking about Ben like that....

Ummm were talking about this game not his career Guy could have won every game single handedly but if the Steelers lose the Bowl after his lousy showing then could we say he sucked?

For all of you who seriously think the play-calling was just and fair:

Link to ESPN Forums where NFL fans are speaking out....

Apparently, its not only us "whining" Seattle fans who see what's really going on.

The reason for this slanted whining is that all the Steelers fans are out partying and celebrating while the Seattle ans and those who lost a bundle betting against them are sulking at their computer.

Seriously though. Are you saying it would have been great officiating for the refs to have allowed the push-off for a TD in a game of this magnitude? Given a TD to guy who didn't get both feet down on a catch? Reversed a TD on the goal line where in replay it could be seen that the ball met the white line in the air?

The only calls I thought were bad against the Seahawks were the low block call and the fumble call that got reversed. If it was a conspiracy, the refs wouldn't have corrected the fumble call.

The calls weren't the difference maker in this game. Try turnovers, missed catches, missed field goals, and the play calling.

No one was robbed here, the Steelers earned a great victory. They executed a great game plan and made the plays when they counted.

Hines Ward pushed off on at least two big plays. Never called.

Seattle DE Bryce Fisher was held severely at least three times (that I saw). Never called once. Yet Sean Locklear was called for holding on a critical play that at least a half-dozen analysts have come out and said was bogus.

If you're really so delusional to think this game was called fairly, and that the only ones speaking up about it are Seahawk fans and people who lost money, you deserve to be the first person on these Boards I decide to put on *IGNORE*

Oh, please, whatever you do...please, oh, please don't put me on *IGNORE*. 27_laughing.gif

Isn't that being a little over dramatic? Just because my view of the game is different than yours, you want to tone me out. You aren't even listening to my posts. I never used the phrase, "the game was called fairly". I indeed stated that I saw two bad calls on the Seahawks (one which got reversed).

I do feel though that there was no conspiracy by the refs, league or aliens from planet X going on to get the Steelers a victory.

It's funny, I'd be willing to bet if the teams were switched and same exact plays were called, then you wouldn't be on here crying foul.

You never even answwered my questions from my post anyway:

3 plays, that seem to be part of the "conspiracy", yet were all close, but ruled correctly.

I admit, I hate it when officiating takes over a game. Some of the calls were questionable, but they were TOUGH CALLS. If they had gone the other way there would be Steelers fans pisssing and moaning. That's what you guys aren't seeing.

1. If Seattle had been given the touchdown on the pushoff (and it WAS a pushoff and created separation) Steelers fans would be going ape. I have seen that stuff called during the regular season, and I have seen it ignored. confused-smiley-013.gif

2. Did Ben cross the goal line? Looked like he did to me. Again, a REALLY tough call that would have left steamed fans no matter which way it went.

3. Darryl Jackson was clearly out of bounds. Should it have been reviewed? Probably. Was the right call made regardless? Yes.

I am NOT a Steelers fan, but the better team won today. They had the toughest playoff schedule imaginable and they came out on top. Give them props. It isn't their fault that the officiating was questionable and to insinuate that they just wanted to win by "cheating" or otherwise is cheap, petty, and downright stupid. They were the better team, they won, get over it.

Exactly. 893applaud-thumb.gif Tough calls create unhappy fans. If they had gone the other way would Steelers fans be saying "yep, that was the right call"? Please. The officials can't win when the calls are as close as those. No conspiracy needed. screwy.gif

I admit, I hate it when officiating takes over a game. Some of the calls were questionable, but they were TOUGH CALLS. If they had gone the other way there would be Steelers fans pisssing and moaning. That's what you guys aren't seeing.

1. If Seattle had been given the touchdown on the pushoff (and it WAS a pushoff and created separation) Steelers fans would be going ape. I have seen that stuff called during the regular season, and I have seen it ignored. confused-smiley-013.gif

2. Did Ben cross the goal line? Looked like he did to me. Again, a REALLY tough call that would have left steamed fans no matter which way it went.

3. Darryl Jackson was clearly out of bounds. Should it have been reviewed? Probably. Was the right call made regardless? Yes.

I am NOT a Steelers fan, but the better team won today. They had the toughest playoff schedule imaginable and they came out on top. Give them props. It isn't their fault that the officiating was questionable and to insinuate that they just wanted to win by "cheating" or otherwise is cheap, petty, and downright stupid. They were the better team, they won, get over it.

Exactly thumbsup2.gif

I saw no giant "conspiracy" going on here. Saehawks fans can sign their pettition, but it's not going to change the outcome or garner a rematch. Just suck it up and look forward to next year. That's what I've had to do for my Chiefs.