• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Holy Terrible Super Bowl Officiating!

367 posts in this topic

The Steelers got hozed on a lot of bad calls during the season

Ummm, we're talking about the SUPER BOWL here, the final game, the big enchilada, the championship, and "some bad calls during the season" mean about 2 dead flies by comparison. screwy.gif

I'd bet if we put the forum to a lie detector, we'd find that every single person who agrees with all the calls and thinks anyone who doesn't is a conspiracy theory whiner, is in actuality a Steeler fan.

As an unbased observer who did not care an iota which team won, I don't see someone like Donut being in the same boat. Obviously a Steelers fan or leaning towards them to win.

Absolutely not. I'm a Bears fan, and didn't really care one way or another. All I really wanted was a good game and for all of the chili to be eaten at my house.

The only connection I had to either team was my cousin who lives in Seattle, who traveled to Detroit for the game and called us during halftime. If anything, I wanted Seattle to win because I work with a bunch of annoying Pittsburgh guys, who are going to be waving their terrible towels tomorrow. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Obviously I'm happy with the outcome but like mentioned before they made big plays when they needed to. The Steelers got hozed on a lot of bad calls during the season and came out on top which was previously mentioned. Were the calls the best I had ever seen? No. But to complain the the officials cost you the game is just bad form. There are a heck of a lot of plays in a game. Most don't have flags thrown on them and the Seahawks still didn't do enough to win the game.

A lot of the elite NFL teams are evenly matched, and one or two momentum changing calls can completely alter the outcome. This isn't a case of me playing one-on-one hoops with Michael Jordan and complaining that his 100th made basket was a fluke.

Just to clear something up: I don't think the Steelers should have lost the game. Far from it...Seattle couldn't defend a 3rd and 28 for cryin' out loud! But, as a football fan, I like to see a well-officiated game. I've seen way too many games be decided in part due to horrible officiating.

I'm a Steelers fan? That's news to me.

Guess I better sell off my NY Jets jerseys and memorabilia. 27_laughing.gif

Anyway, the pushoff call was rather straight forward. Did you see a push off or did you not? If you saw a push off, then everything else is irrelevant. There's no such thing as swallowing the whistle in the Super Bowl on a play like that. Ignore an obvioius infraction of the rules in the Super Bowl and GIFTWRAP a touchdown for the Seahawks? Are you kidding me?

Whether or not there was contact between the DB and Djackson before the pass is also meaningless in judging whether this was a push off. We're not talking about illegal contact. We're talking about whether Djackson created seperation from the DB by extending his hand.

Anyway, the pushoff call was rather straight forward. Did you see a push off or did you not? If you saw a push off, then everything else is irrelevant. There's no such thing as swallowing the whistle in the Super Bowl on a play like that. Ignore an obvioius infraction of the rules in the Super Bowl and GIFTWRAP a touchdown for the Seahawks? Are you kidding me?

Whether or not there was contact between the DB and Djackson before the pass is also meaningless in judging whether this was a push off. We're not talking about illegal contact. We're talking about whether Djackson created seperation from the DB by extending his hand.

I guess that's where I differ in opinion. I didn't see the "push off" as causing any sort of seperation. I saw Jackson continue incidental contact and cut back to the left to make the catch. I don't have an instant replay (no TiVO) but I know that there was no offensive interference on that play. Even Madden gave a muffled "uh, well, I'm not sure" on that one!

I guess that's where I differ in opinion. I didn't see the push off as causing any sort of seperation. I saw Jackson continue incidental contact and cut back to the left to make the catch. I don't have an instant replay (no TiVO) but I know that there was no offensive interference on that play. Even Madden gave a muffled "uh, well, I'm not sure" on that one!

I have TiVo (dvr actually, but same thing) and watched numerous replays on ESPN. There's no doubt Djackson pushed off. Even Seahawk fans who saw the replay will acknowledge this. Now when you see the replay, look at how the defender's body momentum is stopped for a split second once Jackson makes contact with him during the push off. It lasts no more than a split second, but because of the seperation, Jackson winds up easily making the catch while the defender is flat footed.

Notice how you skirt the issue and totally ignore that you obviously favored the Steelers to beat Seattle. Not a *fan* but it's clear you wanted the Steelers to win, rather than the Seahawks.

Otherwise, why support these senile, blind, old, insufficiently_thoughtful_person officials?

I guess that's where I differ in opinion. I didn't see the push off as causing any sort of seperation. I saw Jackson continue incidental contact and cut back to the left to make the catch. I don't have an instant replay (no TiVO) but I know that there was no offensive interference on that play. Even Madden gave a muffled "uh, well, I'm not sure" on that one!

I have TiVo (dvr actually, but same thing) and watched numerous replays on ESPN. There's no doubt Djackson pushed off. Even Seahawk fans who saw the replay will acknowledge this. Now when you see the replay, look at how the defender's body momentum is stopped for a split second once Jackson makes contact with him during the push off. It lasts no more than a split second, but because of the seperation, Jackson winds up easily making the catch while the defender is flat footed.

I'll check it out! thumbsup2.gif

I still think the game was officiated poorly. There were a LOT of times during the game when I said "WTF?" I can't even point them all out now. It was just one of those games that left me feeling "well, I just wasted time." Yeah, Seattle was outplayed in the second half but I'd rather see a team get thoroughly dominated than watch bad calls effect the game. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have TiVo (dvr actually, but same thing) and watched numerous replays on ESPN. There's no doubt Djackson pushed off.

Madden said it best with his "if you WANT to call a penalty, you probably can on EVERY SINGLE PLAY", but it really comes down to what is called, what are the accepted limits, and what is the "accepted practice" during the entire season.

And that kind of "incidental contact" between WR and DB happens virtually every play, is never called, and many of the Steeler's receivers did far worse during the game.

For all of you who seriously think the play-calling was just and fair:

Link to ESPN Forums where NFL fans are speaking out....

Apparently, its not only us "whining" Seattle fans who see what's really going on.

The reason for this slanted whining is that all the Steelers fans are out partying and celebrating while the Seattle fans and those who lost a bundle betting against them are sulking at their computer.

Seriously though. Are you saying it would have been great officiating for the refs to have allowed the push-off for a TD in a game of this magnitude? Given a TD to guy who didn't get both feet down on a catch? Reversed a TD on the goal line where in replay it could be seen that the ball met the white line in the air?

The only calls I thought were bad against the Seahawks were the low block call and the fumble call that got reversed. If it was a conspiracy, the refs wouldn't have corrected the fumble call.

The calls weren't the difference maker in this game. Try turnovers, missed catches, missed field goals, and the play calling.

No one was robbed here, the Steelers earned a great victory. They executed a great game plan and made the plays when they counted.

Another Steeler fanboy heard from. boo.gif

I don't like either team, never bet or gamble, and just wanted to see a GOOD GAME, not some bizarre fixed event where someone had the refs in their hip pocket. I'm disappointed that the NFL didn't send out a press release early, stating that the Steelers had already won the game, and there was no reason to watch it.

That's the difference. Steeler fans just want to win, cheating or otherwise, whereas FOOTBALL FANS just want to see a real game.

Another Steeler fanboy heard from. boo.gif

I don't like either team, never bet or gamble, and just wanted to see a GOOD GAME, not some bizarre fixed event where someone had the refs in their hip pocket. I'm disappointed that the NFL didn't send out a press release early, stating that the Steelers had already won the game, and there was no reason to watch it.

That's the difference. Steeler fans just want to win, cheating or otherwise, whereas FOOTBALL FANS just want to see a real game.

That's going a bit overboard, I think. I just think that it is more bad officiating. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that refs are told to favor a certain team, but I'm far from thinking the game was fixed.

For all of you who seriously think the play-calling was just and fair:

Link to ESPN Forums where NFL fans are speaking out....

Apparently, its not only us "whining" Seattle fans who see what's really going on.

The reason for this slanted whining is that all the Steelers fans are out partying and celebrating while the Seattle ans and those who lost a bundle betting against them are sulking at their computer.

Seriously though. Are you saying it would have been great officiating for the refs to have allowed the push-off for a TD in a game of this magnitude? Given a TD to guy who didn't get both feet down on a catch? Reversed a TD on the goal line where in replay it could be seen that the ball met the white line in the air?

The only calls I thought were bad against the Seahawks were the low block call and the fumble call that got reversed. If it was a conspiracy, the refs wouldn't have corrected the fumble call.

The calls weren't the difference maker in this game. Try turnovers, missed catches, missed field goals, and the play calling.

No one was robbed here, the Steelers earned a great victory. They executed a great game plan and made the plays when they counted.

Hines Ward pushed off on at least two big plays. Never called.

Seattle DE Bryce Fisher was held severely at least three times (that I saw). Never called once. Yet Sean Locklear was called for holding on a critical play that at least a half-dozen analysts have come out and said was bogus.

If you're really so delusional to think this game was called fairly, and that the only ones speaking up about it are Seahawk fans and people who lost money, you deserve to be the first person on these Boards I decide to put on *IGNORE*

Crappy super bowl and the officiating did suck Didnt really care who won or lost but it would have been nice to see a a competetive super bowl. 1. Darrell Jackson wouldnt get flagged for the little bump 99.99999% of the time (Hines Ward got away with it several times during the game with no calls), 2. it sure didnt look like Roethlisberger got the nose of the ball into the endzone and there were several other missed calls like Shaun Alexander getting horsecollared with no call and that terrible call on Hasselbeck after the INT Hopefully next years game will live up to expectations