• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Holy Terrible Super Bowl Officiating!

367 posts in this topic

Jivemo, quite frankly, I could care less what the "national media" thinks about the supposedly bad calls. Jason Whitlock and Michael Wilbon? Because they saw something differently than how I saw it, I should change my mind now?

I have a feeling Jay Mariotti and Skip Bayless are both going to cry bloody murder tomorrow since that's their MO, but that's not going to make the Steelers give the Lombardi trophy back.

I'm being serious here. Do you hold the Seahawks accountable at all for losing the game?

Absolutely. They gave up two big TD plays, floundered on offense, dropped critical passes, and missed two FGs.

But the officials shouldn't play such a prominent role in how the game plays out, and in my opinion, they clearly did.

Can you name me a single critical/controversial call of any significance that went against the Steelers? Any?

The Hawks QB fumble, overturned on review. Other than that they only had three calls on them. This does not surprise me. You will find similarly low numbers of penalties against the Steelers in the other playoff games.

Great article:

This is the space where I get to crow about the frightening precision of my Super Bowl prediction.

Where I get to remind everyone that I guaranteed the Steelers would win the title after they beat the Colts. That they were the only championship-caliber team among the final four. That they would dismantle the Broncos in Denver and waylay whomever the NFC sent at them.

This is the space where I get to wag a finger at my colleague Ian O'Connor, with whom I'd waged a dueling columns battle of opposing prognostication. He picked the Seahawks and made a very strong case for them.

This is the space where I get to say, I told ya so. But I won't. I can't.

I've never felt so empty being right. I feel dirty. I wish I'd been wrong. The Steelers did not deserve to win this game.

Did Seattle deserve to win? Maybe we were all watching different games, but I didn't see them turn in much of a performance. confused-smiley-013.gif

No way man! The only call that the officials got right was the darryl jackson one step in the end zone near the half.

I cant say that the Seahawks would have won because the Steelers may have taken it to another level if they saw they needed to score more.

Can you name me a single critical/controversial call of any significance that went against the Steelers? Any?

I think the Hasselback fumble that was correctly reversed upon further review went against the Steelers.

How about the Jerramy Stevens fumble that was called incomplete? Looked like he had possession, made a football move and had the ball knocked loose.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Did Seattle deserve to win? Maybe we were all watching different games, but I didn't see them turn in much of a performance. confused-smiley-013.gif

Who cares who won? You keep dodging my comments that the OFFICIALS RUINED THE SUPER BOWL. Pittsburgh, Seattle, who cares, I just wanted to see a real game, not some officials picking who would win.,

I don't care if somehow the Arizona Cardinals walked onto the field and won, just make the game fair.

Great article:

This is the space where I get to crow about the frightening precision of my Super Bowl prediction.

Where I get to remind everyone that I guaranteed the Steelers would win the title after they beat the Colts. That they were the only championship-caliber team among the final four. That they would dismantle the Broncos in Denver and waylay whomever the NFC sent at them.

This is the space where I get to wag a finger at my colleague Ian O'Connor, with whom I'd waged a dueling columns battle of opposing prognostication. He picked the Seahawks and made a very strong case for them.

This is the space where I get to say, I told ya so. But I won't. I can't.

I've never felt so empty being right. I feel dirty. I wish I'd been wrong. The Steelers did not deserve to win this game.

They didn't but I think the point is that one-sided officiating can get into a team's head and cause them to play poorly. Hell, if I was playing any game and I had a judge or ref constantly calling against me I'd be thrown off my game. Wouldn't you?

I thought Seattle started well but after halftime came out flat. Parker's TD-run certainly had something to do with that, but can we completely discount the refs?

Jivemo, quite frankly, I could care less what the "national media" thinks about the supposedly bad calls. Jason Whitlock and Michael Wilbon? Because they saw something differently than how I saw it, I should change my mind now?

I have a feeling Jay Mariotti and Skip Bayless are both going to cry bloody murder tomorrow since that's their MO, but that's not going to make the Steelers give the Lombardi trophy back.

I'm being serious here. Do you hold the Seahawks accountable at all for losing the game?

Absolutely. They gave up two big TD plays, floundered on offense, dropped critical passes, and missed two FGs.

But the officials shouldn't play such a prominent role in how the game plays out, and in my opinion, they clearly did.

Were they put in a position to make a "critical/controversial call of any significance" for or against the Steelers? The TD from Big Ben is the only one I can think of that could have been a difference maker, and that was a very, very close call (the ball broke the plane).

The Seahacks got run. Boo hoo. Better luck next year.

I the Hasselback fumble that was correctly reversed upon further review went against the Steelers.

How about the Jerramy Stevens fumble that was called incomplete? Looked like he had possession, made a football move and had the ball knocked loose.

confused-smiley-013.gif

That could have been reviewed...the ball went out of bounds (if memory serves) which would have given Seattle another 10 yards...

if the game is fixed you wonder why things would go the Steelers way -Seattle's a much bigger market and Paul Allen has enough money to buy several super bowl's so why would they do it? Do they think the Steelers organization has more prestige in the league? Maybe it doesn't go that far up! maybe we should do backround checks on the ref's perhaps one of them has been disbarred as a lawyer in the past!

Who cares who won? You keep dodging my comments that the OFFICIALS RUINED THE SUPER BOWL. Pittsburgh, Seattle, who cares, I just wanted to see a real game, not some officials picking who would win.,

I don't care if somehow the Arizona Cardinals walked onto the field and won, just make the game fair.

I am not dodging anything. I already said those were all tough calls that could have gone either way. You think it was bias or some conspiracy, I don't. What else is there to say?

I the Hasselback fumble that was correctly reversed upon further review went against the Steelers.

Jesus, the CALL went against the Seahawks and the coach was forced to lose a valuable challenge to reverse that biased call. That it was reversed was a no-brainer, as teh NFL has access to the same tapes as the TV stations, and they know what millions of people saw.

Once again, was there was contentious, tough to game-breaking ON-FIELD CALL that went against the Steelers.

I'm going to go slightly conspiracy theorist on you guys and say that for years I've noticed that in big games the media darling tends to get the upper hand in the officiating department.

The NFL always says that the notion is preposterous but, at one point, it can't be ignored.

Football has become about as (il)legitamate as "pro" wrestling.

It's been degenerating for over a decade now, and I gave up on it long ago. Too much money involved in this "operation" to have a level playing field.

I ignore anything with the National Fraud Leauge logo on it.

Which sport do you prefer? Roid-fueled baseball? Overpaid whiney basketball?

Don't forget Hockey.

The NHL has great refs!

blush.gif

I think the Hasselback fumble that was correctly reversed upon further review went against the Steelers.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, that's another one. Definitely had both feet down, was questionable only on the 'football move'. Another one for the rules committee to really think about hard.

The Hawks QB fumble, overturned on review.

It was the right call.

Replay got it right.

Pretty sad that your lone example of a controversial play going against the Steelers was one that 99.9% of the viewing audience judged to be justly overturned.

if the game is fixed you wonder why things would go the Steelers way -Seattle's a much bigger market and Paul Allen has enough money to buy several super bowl's so why would they do it? Do they think the Steelers organization has more prestige in the league? Maybe it doesn't go that far up! maybe we should do backround checks on the ref's perhaps one of them has been disbarred as a lawyer in the past!

how the hell did my comments end up in the middle of your quotes? foreheadslap.gif

I am not dodging anything.

Of course you are. When I say the game was ruined by the officials, you ask "do you think Seattle deserved to win?"

What does that have to do with my enjoyment of the GAME?

Jesus, the CALL went against the Seahawks and the coach was forced to lose a valuable challenge to reverse that biased call. That it was reversed was a no-brainer, as teh NFL has access to the same tapes as the TV stations, and they know what millions of people saw.

Once again, was there was contentious, tough to game-breaking ON-FIELD CALL that went against the Steelers.

Great googly moogly, biased call? I explained the rules already that contributed to the on the field mistake. He was going down on his own, the contact did not cause his fall. No one saw him get touched on the way down. I was surprised to see it on the replay after the play was over for goodness sakes.

Wow, I am a fan of neither team, but it's pretty obvious someone wants the Steelers to win. Terrible call after terrible call against the Seahawks - it's becoming embarassing to watch this game.

Sorry, I had to vent!

puzzy grin.gif

What does that have to do with my enjoyment of the GAME?

Who are you kidding? You dont enjoy anything.

Exactly. Who's surprised that Joe is latching on to the latest Big Negative Story™ despite his affirmed non-affiliation with either team involved?