• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An interesting pricing observation

31 posts in this topic

my comment pertained to the following:

i guess this isn't what i expected to see. it looks like about half of the books have been averaging an actual selling price within 5-10% of guide. perhaps it isn't quite so irrelevant, afterall ................... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

do you disagree with my comment now that you read it in context?

Sorry, I just read it as a reply to my post and took exception to the critical tone to what I thought was a pretty inocuous post on my part. flowerred.gif

Read in the context of a reply to Burntboy, you're absolutely right. What to Harry seems like slab buyers paying "at Guide" for less than NM copies actually represents a significant premium over market price, because, as you indicate, raw books in lower grades actually go for significant discounts to the Guide price.

I assume you've taken into account average prices, both 12 month and 90 day? So when you're checking up a price, you are looking at both these averages? In some instances the price can be quite different. And you shouldn't just look at averages, but take into account the number of sales, spread across a period of time and overall trend.

I assume you've taken into account average prices, both 12 month and 90 day? So when you're checking up a price, you are looking at both these averages? In some instances the price can be quite different. And you shouldn't just look at averages, but take into account the number of sales, spread across a period of time and overall trend.

How long will GPA keep old sales averaged in with current sales? Obviously 5 years from now 10 year old sales would be totally inaccurate when dealing with the current pricing trends and values.

West

How long will GPA keep old sales averaged in with current sales? Obviously 5 years from now 10 year old sales would be totally inaccurate when dealing with the current pricing trends and values.

West

Have you looked at how we present averages? We have all sales, last 12 months and last 90 days. The "all sales" average might be broken down further as years go by.

Also, we may look at dropping the overall average (all sales) at some point - instead have 2yr, 12 month and 90 day averages - looking at the charts and monthly averages (when you expand sales data of a specific book) will of course give you all the detail going back to 2002 regardless.

Why do graders care about pricing?

Ah, make sure we get the right price for that 2.5% of FMV when calculating the grading fee.

CGC should grade comics, not determine what a book is worth.

As a fellow collector, why can't West ask a very good question? Why do forum members feel the need to pizz on CGC employees almost every time they post? flowerred.gif