• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Comicbook Characters in Songs

69 posts in this topic

So I was listening to my iPod on the way to work today, when the song "Superman" by Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians came on, which got me to wondering how many pop songs had references to superheroes in them.

Off the top of my head, I came up with the list below. There's a little bit of cheating, as Black Sabbath's "Ironman", for instance, is clearly not about the comicbook character. Any others? (and please, "real" songs only, not theme songs from superhero cartoons or songs from the Merry Marching Marvel Society Singers, or some such).

Superman, The Kinks

Superman, Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians

Superman, REM

Ironman, Black Sabbath

Lullaby, The Cure (reference to Spiderman, although clearly not the Marvel character)

Magneto and Titanium Man, Paul McCartney & Wings

Precious, The Pretenders (reference to Howard the Duck, and even the lyrics "Trapped in a world that he never made")

Pink Floyd - Cymbaline: "And Doctor Strange is always changing size..."

The Ramones did a kick cover of the Spider-Man theme...

Weezer's song In The Garage has the line "I've got dungeon master's guide, I've got 12 sided die, I've got Kitty Pride, and Nightcrawler too, Waiting there for me, yes I do, I do."

song: land of confusion

artist: genesis

'oh superman where are you now...'

song: captain america

artist: moe.

album: no doy

Captain America said you gotta be like me

Or you're gonna wind up dead last

At the end of your rope

Flat broke

Down and tired

You sleepy head

Won't you go to bed

Let me run your life

Lies

Clark Kent ran for president

No one knew about the secrets locked in his head

Friends tried to take his life

Accusations flew

Flew like Kryptonite

Clark still looking good

What you gonna say

To make everything alright

Lies

Superman, REM

thumbsup2.gif One of my favorite REM songs, even if they didn't write it.

Really? Who wrote it?

It is credited to Gary Zekley and Mitch Bottler. I'm not familar with their other work, but apparently Gary Zekley goes all the way back to Jan & Dean.