• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Comicbook Characters in Songs

69 posts in this topic

Pop Will Eat Itself

Formed in the UK during the '80's, PWEI achieved an underground following, and some chart success. But it was their '89 single, "Can U Dig It?", a song referencing all the pop culture icons the band enjoyed, that told the world "Alan Moore knows the score". V for Vendetta is specifically mentioned in the second verse of the song. PWEI produced several albums before breaking up in the mid '90's. ---

Great video !!!!!

Good one! I remember that! I think the video featured some shots from the V comic too.

I totally bought that album back in the day b/c of that song. Great references. I just downloaded it and listened to it for the first time in *gulp* 15+ years. "We dig the Furry Freak Brothers..." is in the first verse as well.

A quick search on-line comes up with this this URL, which has a couple of good catches and a couple of real stretches.

Guess it just shows you that whatever weird idea pops into your mind, somebody's already thought of it and posted it on the internet already. tonofbricks.gif Glad to see we identified a few here that were not on that list.

Greatest comic related song of all time:

"I Am The Law" - Anthrax. (Judge Dredd song)

I concur. thumbsup2.gif

Yep. And, the only song that I can think of that is entirely about a comic character:

I will assume the first time you ever even heard of the Crash Test Dummies was in someone else's response in this thread (if you even read that poke2.gif) makepoint.gif

I read the thread. I've never heard that song by CTD. Only song I know by them was the "Mmmmmmm" song. Please excuse my ignorance.

What are the lyrics to the Superman Song?

I will assume the first time you ever even heard of the Crash Test Dummies was in someone else's response in this thread (if you even read that poke2.gif) makepoint.gif

I read the thread. I've never heard that song by CTD. Only song I know by them was the "Mmmmmmm" song. Please excuse my ignorance.

What are the lyrics to the Superman Song?

Don't worry, I don't think their first album is very well known, at least in the U.S. I figured if you had heard of them, "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" would be it.

Superman's Song - Crash Test Dummies

------------------------------------

Tarzan wasn't a ladies' man

He'd just come along and scoop 'em up under his arm

Like that, quick as a cat in the jungle

But Clark Kent, now there was a real gent

He would not be caught sittin' around in no

Junglescape, dumb as an ape doing nothing

Superman never made any money

For saving the world from Solomon Grundy

And sometimes I despair the world will never see

Another man like him

Hey Bob, Supe had a straight job

Even though he could have smashed through any bank

In the United States, he had the strength, but he would not

Folks said his family were all dead

Planet crumbled but Superman, he forced himself

To carry on, forget Krypton, and keep going

Another man like him

Tarzan was king of the jungle and Lord over all the apes

But he could hardly string together four words: "I Tarzan, You Jane."

Sometimes when Supe was stopping crimes

I'll bet he was tempted to just quit and turn his back

On man, join Tarzan in the forest

But he stayed in the city, and kept on changing clothes

In dirty old phonebooths till his work was through

And nothing to do but go on home

Another man like him

one more from the Crow soundtrack....

Artist: Rollins Band Lyrics

Song: Ghostrider

Alan Vega. Suicide. Ghostrider. Ghostrider.

Ghostrider, motorcycle hero.

Baby, baby, baby, baby, he's blazing away!

Like the star, star, stars in the universe, yeah.

Baby, baby, baby, he's looking so cute, yeah!

Riding around in a blue jumpsuit, yeah.

Baby, baby, baby, baby, he's screaming the truth!

America is killing its youth.

I see them trying, dying, choking, drowning, going down, going down.

I see you dying, dying.

Oh. You don't wanna break apart Ghostrider's heart.

He's riding through your town with his head on fire.

Halo burning. Eyes are crying. Halo buring. Eyes are crying.

Ghostrider, Ghostrider, Ghostrider, Ghostrider keep riding.

Never stop riding.

Hey, hey, don't forget to burn, don't forget to burn.

Burn with fire. With fire, fire, fire, fire!

With fire! Yeah!

one more from the Crow soundtrack....

Artist: Rollins Band Lyrics

Song: Ghostrider

Alan Vega. Suicide. Ghostrider. Ghostrider.

Baby, baby, baby, baby, he's blazing away!

Like the star, star, stars in the universe, yeah.

Baby, baby, baby, he's looking so cute, yeah!

Riding around in a blue jumpsuit, yeah.

Baby, baby, baby, baby, he's screaming the truth!

America is killing its youth.

I see them trying, dying, choking, drowning, going down, going down.

I see you dying, dying.

Oh. You don't wanna break apart Ghostrider's heart.

Halo burning. Eyes are crying. Halo buring. Eyes are crying.

Ghostrider, Ghostrider, Ghostrider, Ghostrider keep riding.

Never stop riding.

Hey, hey, don't forget to burn, don't forget to burn.

Burn with fire. With fire, fire, fire, fire!

With fire! Yeah!

How could I forget that great song? The Sisters Of Mercy did a tremendous version of that song too.

The Sisters Of Mercy did a tremendous version of that song too.

Pre- or post-Floodland Sisters of Mercy?

Pre - Floodland (i.e. the original line-up, with Hussey, Adams and Marx).

Annoyingly the song isn't available except on the bootleg version of the "Wake" gig they did at the Royal Albert Hall in June 1985 (last gig with the original line-up) and on a 7" vinyl record that came with a book about the band that I do have.

The "Wake" version of this song is one of the best things they ever did.

Hmm, no wonder I never heard of their version of the song. Hard to imagine such a goth band performing at Royal Albert Hall.

They were pretty big back in the day, and were considered the best Goth band with a very dedicated following.

When Eldritch reformed the Sisters in 1990 (with an entirely new line-up) they played Wembley Arena several times, and that venue is bigger than the Albert Hall (15,000 capacity).

Hmm, no wonder I never heard of their version of the song. Hard to imagine such a goth band performing at Royal Albert Hall.

They were pretty big back in the day, and were considered the best Goth band with a very dedicated following.

893naughty-thumb.gif Bauhaus will always be the supreme Goth band! sumo.gif I loved the Sisters in the early 80s, but Bauhaus were truly unlike anything that had come before them.

When Eldritch reformed the Sisters in 1990 (with an entirely new line-up) they played Wembley Arena several times, and that venue is bigger than the Albert Hall (15,000 capacity).

Feh, when Eldritch started them up again, they became just another pop band. Didn't listen to them again after wasting my money on Floodland, which is why I asked my original question because I thought the Ghostrider cover might have appeared on some 1990s Sisters album which I wouldn't have been familiar with.

893naughty-thumb.gif Bauhaus will always be the supreme Goth band! sumo.gif I loved the Sisters in the early 80s, but Bauhaus were truly unlike anything that had come before them.

Feh, when Eldritch started them up again, they became just another pop band. Didn't listen to them again after wasting my money on Floodland, which is why I asked my original question because I thought the Ghostrider cover might have appeared on some 1990s Sisters album which I wouldn't have been familiar with.

Bauhaus were a great band, but weren't considered to be proper Goths even though they (along with the Birthday Party) were progenitors of the "movement". And they did owe a small debt to a certain Mr. Bowie...

And yes, it's true what you said about the "Vision Thing" era Sisters. After being absent for 5 years from the gig circuit, their stock had grown and they (he) returned to a massive fanfare. After the disappointing album and one tour, the Sisters lost their way and their fanbase.

Thought Floodland was okay in places but not a patch on the earlier stuff.

Bauhaus were a great band, but weren't considered to be proper Goths even though they (along with the Birthday Party) were progenitors of the "movement". And they did owe a small debt to a certain Mr. Bowie...

ARE a great band...ARE!!!

And remember, the most "goth" thing any of those bands could do back then was to insist that they weren't goth.

Superman, REM

thumbsup2.gif One of my favorite REM songs, even if they didn't write it.

Really? Who wrote it?

It is credited to Gary Zekley and Mitch Bottler. I'm not familar with their other work, but apparently Gary Zekley goes all the way back to Jan & Dean.

Hey I didn't know that! Superman was the first song that turned me on to REM. I thought it had a fun retro/60's sound to it, so I guess I was hearing right!

We played that song in my band too. Thanks for the trivia info Zonker! smile.gif