• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 20 COVERS OF THE COPPER AGE!

394 posts in this topic

Well that kind of complicates things. I personally didnt see any support for it with Silver yet so I didnt press it there, however I wouldnt want to under cut the SA Poll. Then again this thread has been up in Copper for weeks - so in effect I think we've been under cut 893whatthe.gif
No please.... I plan on voting in the Copper contest, in fact I can't wait. popcorn.gif

There's plenty of love around here. cloud9.gif In fact I'm glad to see some agreement on when the Copper Age starts.

I actually agree with Mica. Give us Copper or give us death! Jbud....bring us a copper cover contest and we will show!

In fact I'm glad to see some agreement on when the Copper Age starts.

That IS a major hurdle to overcome, but we shall see...

BTW: How did Reggie get on the SA Cover voting team (Evilheart powers?) confused-smiley-013.gif

For what it's worth, the silver age cover contest has started:

Silver Age Cover Contest

893whatthe.gif Can I sue for copyright?????

Well that kind of complicates things. I personally didnt see any support for it with Silver yet so I didnt press it there, however I wouldnt want to under cut the SA Poll. Then again this thread has been up in Copper for weeks - so in effect I think we've been under cut 893whatthe.gif

I would hold off on the CA poll until the Silver one has finished. With two contests running at once they will both become diluted. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I fee weighting waters down a #1 vote and creates the possibility for TIES in the Top 20 -:

in a weighting system, ties are broken by the book that has more #1 votes, followed by number of 2nd place votes, etc..

ties, will be VERY unlikely, since unless two books have the EXACT_SAME number of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th AND 5th votes, then there won't be a tie.

and IF such a situation DOES occur, then we REALLY_DO have a legitimate tie.

#1 vote= 25 points

#2 = 12

#3 = 6

#4 = 3

#5 = 1

Ugh, a first-place vote is worth 25x a fifth-place vote? So if some jag-off votes for Rob Liefeld's X-Force #1 as his/her first place vote, that would nullify a bunch of people voting for something else in the #2-#5 position?? frustrated.gif

I don't like that at all...I'd stick with the logical 5-4-3-2-1, ties be damned, or go Fibonacci with an 8-5-3-2-1 system. sumo.gif

Ties can be solved by Jbuds method for the Bronze Age Cover Contest. The odds are low the vote will be mimicked exactly for matching point totals.

#1 vote= 25 points

#2 = 12

#3 = 6

#4 = 3

#5 = 1

Ugh, a first-place vote is worth 25x a fifth-place vote? So if some jag-off votes for Rob Liefeld's X-Force #1 as his/her first place vote, that would nullify a bunch of people voting for something else in the #2-#5 position?? frustrated.gif

I don't like that at all...I'd stick with the logical 5-4-3-2-1, ties be damned, or go Fibonacci with an 8-5-3-2-1 system. sumo.gif

HELLO! Under Jason's existing system, a 1st place vote for X-Force #1 would nullify a Bolland cover that got zero 1st place votes but 1,000 2nd place votes! makepoint.gif So what I suggested is an improvement upon that. In any event, I was just showing Jason how a points system can still be heavily weighted towards 1st place votes to achieve his objective. Whoever sets up the contest could assign whatever weighting they want.

In my opinion, though, 5-4-3-2-1 or 8-5-3-2-1 doesn't provide sufficient weighting for 1st and 2nd place votes. Under Fibonacci, the spreads don't make sense. A 1st place vote is only worth 1.6X of a 2nd place vote, which is less than the spread between 2nd and 3rd (1.666X), which is more than the spread between 3rd and 4th (1.5X) but all are less than the spread between 4th and 5th (2X)? screwy.gif Geeze, you're a soccer guy, would you really want a win to count for 2 points, only double a draw's value, and only 2 points more than a loss?

the formula can be as complicated as you want it to be. changing formulas in Excel takes less time than this post will take to write.

ties are a non-starter. jbud, you could use the system from the BA tabulations as a means of breaking ties between books with identical scores. and if there is a tie, just post both of them in the same thread.

Copper is from 1981 to 1992. sumo.gif no Epics, no Heavy Metal, no Dragon Magazine, no Graphic Novels. COMICS ONLY. sumo.gifsumo.gif

those King Conan covers are fantastic! another title that passed me by...

my...*counting* .08 cents

Perhaps there should be a Top 20 Comics Covers of the Copper Age and a Top 20 Magazine Covers of the Copper Age. Magazines during this period really do merit their own contest. Just don't know, how many people will vote!!

Perhaps there should be a Top 20 Comics Covers of the Copper Age and a Top 20 Magazine Covers of the Copper Age. Magazines during this period really do merit their own contest. Just don't know, how many people will vote!!

agreed on all counts. a top Mag thread would be pretty killer, although i expect the top ten artist list would look like this;

Frazetta

Frazetta

Frazetta

Frazetta

Frazetta

Frazetta

Random CA artist

Frazetta

Frazetta

Frazetta