• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would You Do?

47 posts in this topic

OK, so I have a bidder who snipes three slabs on Sunday night, total value in excess of $700. 100% feedback, if slightly low rating at 25, but I didn’t bother checking further.

Bidder pays promptly through Paypal on the Monday night, but when I check on the status, he’s been NARUed about an hour after making payment.

I look closer at his feedback…

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e=STRK:MESO:UFS

…and pick up on the fact that (a) he’s only recently registered, (b) he’s bid on a high percentage of private auctions and © so many of his ‘wins’ have been $1 ‘freebies’, obviously designed to boost his feedback.

Question is, what do I do now? There might be a reasonable explanation, but this is not the usual profile of an on-the-up-and-up bidder. My fear is a chargeback once the books are out of my sweaty hands.

Anyone got any ideas how I should play this?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Take the money out of Paypal, whether you want them to mail you a check, transfer it into another account which they cannot access.

Once you have it, then I would ship them with Insurance and Signature Confirmation.

Problems are as follows...

Yes, I've transferred the funds out of Paypal, but as a seller, there will always be funds going into the account (unless I close it completely) which can be reclaimed, and it's also linked to a bank account which they can dip into.

Other problem with getting confirmation is the fact that it's international and the regular postal channels will be tough to deal with.

What about FedEx? I imagine that I could get confirmation quite easily and I also think that Paypal would have to accept FedEx documentation as the real deal?

delivery confirmation is not proof of delivery to a specific residence or person.

paypal will burn you on this.

you have to use Certified with a return receipt, restricted delivery to the named person only. Cost = $12.00, in addition to any insurance or shipping charges that may apply.

One thing to be cautious of, is even if you transfer the money out of Paypal and take it out of your bank account, I believe Paypal can still go after the money from you if this buyer gets a chargeback granted. My understanding is that Paypal would suspend you until they get their fees back from you.

It's been a little bit since I read up on this, so you may want to check with the site and know your risks. If nothing else, make sure to get the delivery confirmation and insurance just to further protect yourself.

delivery confirmation is not proof of delivery to a specific residence or person.

I have to respectfully disagree as I have been there and done that...it doesn't matter to Paypal as to whom it's been delivered to...just that it's been delivered and you have proof of that...

Good Luck! This guy looks like he could be trouble! I ran into a real wacko once on ebay and it resulted in my only negative in 6 years of ebaying! Did you see his feedback? Wierd -more than one person did something very creative with their feedback leaving him pictures and the like-they never do that for me! I'm almost jealous! It shouldn't be that easy for him to chargeback on the books! I know the guy i had a problem with tried to force me to give his money back and he paid by paypal - He never got it back - I had to go trhough hell though! Bottom line was if you can't return item in same condition it was sent you don't get your money back! I'm sure you won't have to refund any $ without first receiving the item back - i just hope you don't end up with a neg out of this deal!

I have to respectfully disagree as I have been there and done that...it doesn't matter to Paypal as to whom it's been delivered to...just that it's been delivered and you have proof of that...

I have to respectfully disagree with you! tongue.gif

USPS Delivery Confirmation is NOT an acceptable form of "proof of delivery" per PayPal's Seller Protection Program. It is not acceptable because it does not show delivery to a specific address.

I know this because I learned the hard way. Paypal refused to "protect" me against a $1,100 chargeback for this precise reason.

To avoid a chargeback, the only way I would ship an expensive item would be FedEx.

One thing to be cautious of, is even if you transfer the money out of Paypal and take it out of your bank account, I believe Paypal can still go after the money from you if this buyer gets a chargeback granted. My understanding is that Paypal would suspend you until they get their fees back from you.

hi.gif

Been there. Done that. Still suspended.

Paypal can go into your account and get the funds back if you are using the bank transfer process.

That's not allowed in France.

An authorization must be signed by the bank account's owner and filed in the bank agency to allow someone (Paypal or others) to do that.

OK, so I have a bidder who snipes three slabs on Sunday night, total value in excess of $700. 100% feedback, if slightly low rating at 25, but I didn’t bother checking further.

Bidder pays promptly through Paypal on the Monday night, but when I check on the status, he’s been NARUed about an hour after making payment.

I look closer at his feedback…

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e=STRK:MESO:UFS

…and pick up on the fact that (a) he’s only recently registered, (b) he’s bid on a high percentage of private auctions and © so many of his ‘wins’ have been $1 ‘freebies’, obviously designed to boost his feedback.

Question is, what do I do now? There might be a reasonable explanation, but this is not the usual profile of an on-the-up-and-up bidder. My fear is a chargeback once the books are out of my sweaty hands.

Anyone got any ideas how I should play this?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I started a thread on STL about this guy back on Friday the 3rd :

Quick Feedback scheme

I noticed all the same alarm-triggers you did. Mainly how he quickly boosted his zero feeback with 1cent eBook wins. Then he went on a single day buying spree, 47 "wins" across many sellers.

I haven't received any invoice or email response at all. Or payment. My opinion is that it's a bogus account with bogus contact info. If I were you I wouldn't ship anything, especially international. The odds of a chargeback are very high.

How to play it? Tough one... I think I'd consider the payment fraudulent, leave it intact in the Paypal account, and wait about four months to see what happens. confused-smiley-013.gif