• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would You Do?

47 posts in this topic

Wow, that is scary. I don't know that I'd complete the transaction without getting a name, confirmed address, and phone number, along with all the other advice you're getting here about handling PayPal.

delivery confirmation is not proof of delivery to a specific residence or person.

paypal will burn you on this.

you have to use Certified with a return receipt, restricted delivery to the named person only. Cost = $12.00, in addition to any insurance or shipping charges that may apply.

What about a USPS signiture confirmation? Does that constitute proof of delivery?

The fact that you had to ask the question means something stinks. At best, I'd contact eBay and ask for advice. Maybe you can give the guy his money back and get credit for your auction listings. Not that I would hold my breath but at least it clears you of all wrong doing. What's the NARU account going to do? Neg you? 27_laughing.gif

All of this is good advice....thanks, guys. thumbsup2.gif

I think initially, I'll let this play out for a few days, see if the account is reinstated, see if I get any communication. After that, I'll contact Paypal and get in writing what they will accept as confirmation of delivery of goods. Remember, I'm shipping UK to USA, so I think I would be best spending a few more bucks and using FedEx to really get it nailed down tight.

One of the (many) strange things here is that his eBay account was 'ID verified'. Not sure what that actually means, or what you have to go through to get it, but it sounds like there must be some sort of process in place. confused-smiley-013.gif

One of the (many) strange things here is that his eBay account was 'ID verified'. Not sure what that actually means, or what you have to go through to get it, but it sounds like there must be some sort of process in place. confused-smiley-013.gif

The assurance that ebay's ID verification feature affords anyone relying on it for confidence in a deal is almost nil in the face of the rampant identity theft going on. If I had someone's credit card and billing address, I could probably get a faux account on ebay set up to wreak havoc and fraud all day long. The MO here seems like guys who nab stolen info and go on a quick shopping spree and see how many they can scam in a short period of time before they just cut and run and the authorities can be set on their trail. Then the identity theft victims are left to sort out the mess with their credit card companies and eventually get the fraudulent charges off their records but there is no compensation for the sellers who sent out the goods unless the thieves are caught with the merchandise or their accounts can be liquidated under asset forfeiture statutes.

The assurance that ebay's ID verification feature affords anyone relying on it for confidence in a deal is almost nil in the face of the rampant identity theft going on. If I had someone's credit card and billing address, I could probably get a faux account on ebay set up to wreak havoc and fraud all day long. The MO here seems like guys who nab stolen info and go on a quick shopping spree and see how many they can scam in a short period of time before they just cut and run and the authorities can be set on their trail. Then the identity theft victims are left to sort out the mess with their credit card companies and eventually get the fraudulent charges off their records but there is no compensation for the sellers who sent out the goods unless the thieves are caught with the merchandise or their accounts can be liquidated under asset forfeiture statutes.

That's precisely what I'm thinking has happened. If it is an identity theft scenario, I'm going to have the payment reclaimed at some point, I assume? confused-smiley-013.gif

Not that I'm (too) bothered about that, just so long as I've still got the goods.

That's precisely what I'm thinking has happened. If it is an identity theft scenario, I'm going to have the payment reclaimed at some point, I assume? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, the payment will be reclaimed. And depending on your bank's level of cooperation with the authorites and policies regarding stolen funds, they'll go into your personal accounts to reclaim that money, stating that those were stolen funds and since you are the only one they can get it from, they'll hit you up for it and you're SOL regarding your goods. They'll tell you to write it off as stolen merchandise or a loss on your taxes. However, I don't know if you would/could be subjected to this scenario, being international. Maybe the UK and European countries would cooperate at some level, but Malaysia, indonesia, states of the former soviet republic and the middle east would probably just tell the US authorities to f* off...

delivery confirmation is not proof of delivery to a specific residence or person.

paypal will burn you on this.

you have to use Certified with a return receipt, restricted delivery to the named person only. Cost = $12.00, in addition to any insurance or shipping charges that may apply.

What about a USPS signiture confirmation? Does that constitute proof of delivery?

I did say--> NOT<-- in the above, paypal will NOT honor delivery confirmation as proof of delivery. as for signiture confirmation, all it means is "someone" signed for it. restricted delivery is the way to go.

I think you're doing the right thing and waiting a couple of days to see how things pan out.

Also, with Paypal, for transactions over $250 (I think), you need to have signature confirmation, not just delivery confirmation. For amounts under $250, delivery confirmation will suffice.

OK, another slightly strange observation...

I noticed that my bidder's feedback score had gone down over the last hour or so. Checked into it and one of the people who left him feedback has been NARUed today. Looked into HIS feedback...

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...d=-1&de=off

...and what caught my eye?

Yup, that inane 'writing that makes a pattern' nonsense and 95% private auctions.

Are we beginning to see a pattern yet, gentlemen? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

if you send this guy anything, you're a fool. which we both know isn't exactly a fitting description of my favourite Hertfordshirian. Hertfordshirist? Hertfordshirite? whatever...

are my books in the mail yet, guvna? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

if you send this guy anything, you're a fool. which we both know isn't exactly a fitting description of my favourite Hertfordshirian. Hertfordshirist? Hertfordshirite? whatever...

Went in the mail a week ago...should be there any day. thumbsup2.gif

Which is more than I can say for this muppet's....

I noticed that my bidder's feedback score had gone down over the last hour or so. Checked into it and one of the people who left him feedback has been NARUed today. Looked into HIS feedback...

Yup, that inane 'writing that makes a pattern' nonsense and 95% private auctions.

This guy's a scammer. Do NOT send anything to him!!!

Check all the feedback in the above link you posted. Look how many of the accounts in his feedback have been NARU'd in the past couple of weeks. Scam city. He's probably hijacking eBay accounts and using them until he gets caught.

This guy's a scammer. Do NOT send anything to him!!!

Check all the feedback in the above link you posted. Look how many of the accounts in his feedback have been NARU'd in the past couple of weeks. Scam city. He's probably hijacking eBay accounts and using them until he gets caught.

The guy's a scammer....I agree.

But I don't think he's hijacking accounts. This one account...***auction-liquidations***...seems to be at the nexus of all of these NARU accounts. The account is simply there to boost feedbacks for all of those other accounts, which fall one by one.

An organised gang, comprising a small group with dozens of eBay accounts each, sharing feedback around? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I don't think he's hijacking accounts. This one account...***auction-liquidations***...seems to be at the nexus of all of these NARU accounts. The account is simply there to boost feedbacks for all of those other accounts, which fall one by one.

An organised gang, comprising a small group with dozens of eBay accounts each, sharing feedback around? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I did a little more digging and you might be right. Definitely a scammer, but I'm not convinced he's hijacking accounts.

Either way, absolutely do not ship anything to this scumbag. It's guaranteed trouble later on. And, as has already been mentioned...even if the funds are transfered out of the bank account that's linked to paypal...if Paypal tries to do a chargeback on you and there aren't enough funds, you'll lose your paypal account until you pay them. Best to just avoid all this headache.

I did a little more digging and you might be right. Definitely a scammer, but I'm not convinced he's hijacking accounts.

Either way, absolutely do not ship anything to this scumbag. It's guaranteed trouble later on. And, as has already been mentioned...even if the funds are transfered out of the bank account that's linked to paypal...if Paypal tries to do a chargeback on you and there aren't enough funds, you'll lose your paypal account until you pay them. Best to just avoid all this headache.

Yeah, goods are going nowhere. I think at this stage, a refund would be unwise, as it may just cloud the issue. As it stands, I've probably got payment from a stolen CC and when they come 'a knocking, I'll have to refund.

Best figure out how to make those 'second chance' offer thingies....

Went in the mail a week ago...should be there any day. thumbsup2.gif

Which is more than I can say for this muppet's....

they showed today! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

they look better in person, even though you had freaking ginormous scans. flowerred.gif

anyone wants great books at a good price? Flaming_Hertfordshire is your man!

Withdrawn the money and put it in your bank account, THEN ship the books confused-smiley-013.gif

That doesn't always help. Paypal can go into your account and get the funds back if you are using the bank transfer process.

That's correct. Move the funds into your account, wait a couple of weeks, and if nothing happens, THEN ship the books.