• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Bark's story.

77 posts in this topic

I just could never get into any other artist work on the duck stuff, Rosa included. Just my personal preference. Carl Barks would be a tough act to follow and no one in my opinion ever came close. I don't begrudge anyone making the effort but sometimes I think things should be left alone. It's kind of like the tribute bands that sprung up for Hendrix, well I'd rather listen to A Hendrix album and not some tribute band's record. Of course others may feel differently and that's fine. Bark's was truly a one of a kind master.

So what do you think about the way Don Rosa handles Donald in his Scrooge stories?
I realize that Scrooge is extremely popular. I like him as well, but not above Donald.

I also realize that Rosa likes Scrooge (probably more than Donald)

I don't expect Donald to be treated with kid gloves, He's just my favorite character.

You'll notice that my above post of favorite Stories were Donald-centric.

I was just curious to learn your opinion about the way that Donald is "portrayed" in Don's stories. Do you feel he is played for the easy jokes / pratfall more so there than in Barks stories. I believe Don uses Donald exactly as "stress release" in that if there is something stupid to do or an accident to happen, of course Donald is enrolled.

One aspect I do like about Rosa's stories over Barks' is the physicality of at least one gag (and often more) in each Rosa story. It appeals to me. Barks was better at developing the psychological aspect of stories which is a harder feat. But low brow works well with me.

Rosa is a nice follow-up to Barks and his attention to details is to be commended. However, it is also this attention to details that reminds us that Rosa is really walking in Barks' tracks but at least he is aware of the fact and reverential and referencial to the Duckman's work.

In the end, there is of course no reason for us to compare both artists. We should be thankful that Don's stories have been entertaining and varied over the last 15+ years. I absolutely love the longer Barks stories and Don is willing to put the work in them to add to the cannon.

The one story I've enjoyed rereading the most is "Frozen Gold" (FC 62). Not the best overall, but the collector in me just loves this early, somewhat primitive adventure. To me, FC 62 is to WDCS 31 what FC 386 is to FC 178: it represents just as big a step in the development of the duck characters.

It's tough picking favorite stories when they're all so good. I strated reading comics in the mid fifties and so naturally dondald duck and uncle scrooge along with Archie and casper were what I started with. Barks took me on some wonderfull adventures back then and left quite an impression on me. He was truly one of those blessed creative forces that only come along every so often.

Barks had so many good stories and they still reasonate years after I've read them. Favorites would have to include:

Ghost of the Grotto

Lost in the Andes

Only a Poor Old Man

Christmas for Shacktown

Back to the Klondike

King of the Golden River

I love them all cloud9.gif

But my favorite is from WDC&S 138:

After having been turned down by Scrooge for money to build a statue of Cornelius Coot, the Mayor of Duckburg turns to a wealthy visitor (The Maharajah of Howduyustan--"the richest man in the world") who, of course donates the required money. Scrooge takes great offense at the Maharajah being designated the world's richest man, and a statue building rivalry ensues. Larger and more elaborate statues are built with Scrooge winning every time. The final statues are huge, made of solid gold and platinum and encrusted with gems. Sadly, the Maharajah has spent every penny he has. Wearing a barrel, he enters Scrooge's office and is pleased to see that at least Scrooge's safe is also empty. To which Scrooge replies " That was only my petty cash safe. My big money bin is the 3 cubic acres in the basement." smile.gif

After having been turned down by Scrooge for money to build a statue of Cornelius Coot, the Mayor of Duckburg turns to a wealthy visitor (The Maharajah of Howduyustan--"the richest man in the world") who, of course donates the required money. Scrooge takes great offense at the Maharajah being designated the world's richest man, and a statue building rivalry ensues. Larger and more elaborate statues are built with Scrooge winning every time. The final statues are huge, made of solid gold and platinum and encrusted with gems. Sadly, the Maharajah has spent every penny he has. Wearing a barrel, he enters Scrooge's office and is pleased to see that at least Scrooge's safe is also empty. To which Scrooge replies " That was only my petty cash safe. My big money bin is the 3 cubic acres in the basement." smile.gif

I love that story too! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I love that story too! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Broken Record Scrooge here ... but that's the March 1952 issue cloud9.gif

So, does that mean you can post scans of the story? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah, I have all the Dells. It's also been reprinted in the US in -

Walt Disney's Comics (and Stories) 419 (1975)

Carl Barks Library (hardcover, b/w) 8 pg. 405 (1983)

Uncle Scrooge 226 (1988)

The Carl Barks Library of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories in Color 20 (1993)

Uncle Scrooge 301 (1996)

I'll put some scans up later this weekend.

Have to second your pick. Four Color 367, A Christmas for Shacktown is my all time favorite Barks story. Second would probably be Micro Ducks from Outer Space. I just loved those little gold coins that they bought the corn kernels with. I wore the reprint out when i was a kid. Third would be the first appearance of Flintheart Glomgold with Scrooge finding everything with the exception of water. Barks' stories are the first comics i remember reading, and i still love them alot.

Scott

I need to edit something i said. I realized last night that i made an error when i referred to Flintheart and Scrooge not finding any water. Those are two separate stories altogether. The Flintheart story ends with them unrolling their respective balls of string and Scrooge comes out ahead due to the string he has tied to his "old number one". The other story is in reference to when Scrooge boasted he could find riches anywhere in the world, put on a blindfold and spins a globe and picks the middle of the Australian outback (i believe). This is where he finds every kind of wealth imaginable, but can't seem to find any water. It is a great story too though.

Scott

Third would be the first appearance of Flintheart Glomgold with Scrooge finding everything with the exception of water.

I love that story too! One that hasn't been mentioned is "Lunar Goldrush". I loved the approach that a big rocket is just a big small rocket. Also, "King Solomon's Mines" and the huge packet of tickets that was required to travel to all the different countries, which was why Scrooge needed Donald and HD&L to accompany him (to carry them). And basically any story where the answer is found in the Woodchuck's Guide, truly the font of all information in the universe.

I always loved it when the Junior Woodchucks were involved! And Gyro Gearloose. Does anyone have a scan of that short Gyro story where he tries to fins out why birds sing? That always cracked me up! "Maybe I'm glad..maybe I'm sad... maybe I'm a little mad". I'm getting my grandkids hooked on Barks as soon as I can.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I love the picture of the 2 statues, dwarfing the town beneath it. And I love how the Maharajah addresses his servant as "dog of a servant", and the servant replies: "You can't afford beans, you bum! You're broke!" 27_laughing.gif And then the picture of the Maharajah sitting in his barrel on the park bench with a cup in his hand. It's those little touches that really make Barks the genius that he is. hail.gif

Third would be the first appearance of Flintheart Glomgold with Scrooge finding everything with the exception of water.

I love that story too! One that hasn't been mentioned is "Lunar Goldrush". I loved the approach that a big rocket is just a big small rocket. Also, "King Solomon's Mines" and the huge packet of tickets that was required to travel to all the different countries, which was why Scrooge needed Donald and HD&L to accompany him (to carry them). And basically any story where the answer is found in the Woodchuck's Guide, truly the font of all information in the universe.

I read the King's Solomon's Mines back in Dec and love the gag with ticket. And how at the end he has to fly the nephews back from all over the world when they each fled with different parts of the ticket!

So much of what writers do is recycle the same old humor. Barks was either an original, or mining a different vein than everyone else.

I remember after reading The Second Richest Duck, I started collecting string and rolling it into a ball. It seems to me like every panel was a framed work of art. I've just grabbed a stack Of Uncle Scrooges to read , I think I'll start out with "So Far and no Safari" with Scrooge's Arch rival Flintheart Glomgold. cloud9.gif