• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Signature Thread
9 9

7,959 posts in this topic

It's too bad that Starlin's signature got a little smeared. Otherwise I bet it would have been a 9.8. Still, a great book with two awesome signatures.

I dotn think Quality of Sig has any effect on book does it?

It's too bad that Starlin's signature got a little smeared. Otherwise I bet it would have been a 9.8. Still, a great book with two awesome signatures.

absolutely none!

absolutely none!

That's not what I was told by Paul Litch himself. On lower grade books, he said that the quality of the sig does not matter, but on a book that would otherwise be 9.6 or 9.8, a smeared signature can drop the grade.

I really find that hard to believe, the signature does not affect the grade of the actual book (unless someone tears through it with a ball point pen or something). Signatures are not being graded, the comic is being graded...

Paul?

absolutely none!

That's not what I was told by Paul Litch himself. On lower grade books, he said that the quality of the sig does not matter, but on a book that would otherwise be 9.6 or 9.8, a smeared signature can drop the grade.

The SS label acts as qualified label when dealing with authenticated signatures. I would love some verification from Paul regarding your above statement.

In theory, the book is being graded independantly of the signature, so a slight smudge shouldn't have any effect on the grade. There have been exceptions when the writing has actually damaged the book and taken the grade down such as

- Crossing out or blackening out a signature for a redo

- smudging a signature by putting another book over it when the marker hasn't dried will leave ink on the back cover and affect the grade of the other book (silver and other color sharpies and paint pens do not dry quickly)

- big fat fingerprint smudges from careless handling after the book was signed by the artist

- smudging a signature by putting another book over it when the marker hasn't dried will leave ink on the back cover and affect the grade of the other book (silver and other color sharpies and paint pens do not dry quickly)

I can attest to this firsthand. I had submitted a previous CGC 9.8 Blue label book and it came back a SS CGC 9.4 with no apparent defects which would have caused the grade to drop (other than ink smudge on the back cover). I called CGC for the grader's notes and the only noted defect was indeed the aforementioned ink dropping the grade to a 9.4 from a 9.8.

Not a very popular blank sketch cover but I love it. Here is one I just got back from Chandler. Marc Wolfe really nailed it.

Now if someone could only get Clint on this...

MWNNsketch.jpg

MWNN.jpg