• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Signature Thread
9 9

7,957 posts in this topic

Rai is legit!

Two books I got back this week from London Super Comic Con, I'm super happy with the multi signed Nova I didn't think I'd get a 9.8 on it so I was extremely happy when it arrived on my doorstep. Mahmud Asrars name is misspelt Azrar but I can live with that for now as I plan on taking it to more conventions o get additional signatures on So I'm sure it will be able to get changed then.

Uz61vPD.pngDGsOks7.png

Edited by Louispierce

RMA20DKR2012098001_zpsunukbzep.jpg

(Boring/interesting back story here:)

Bought this at a store in Pleasanton, CA about two years ago. As many of you know, Dark Knights are generally tough in 9.8, because 1. the solid blue back covers scuff if you look at them funny, and 2. the top and bottom of the spine are notorious for flecking. It was DC's first prestige format book, after all.

But it was a sharp copy, though it that slight flecking at the top of the spine. Owner had it on the wall for $90 I think, so I asked him if he could do any better. I told him I would offer $70 (which is, by far, the most I've ever paid for a single copy of DK!) He said it was a consignment, so he would have to ask the owner. I was going home, so I couldn't wait around, but I got the store owner's contact info, and he said he would e-mail when he got an answer from the consigner.

About three weeks pass, and I e-mail the guy, to see if he had an answer. A few days later, he e-mails me back and says the consigner will take $70, and he would be willing to ship it to me for another $6 or so. I didn't want to lose the sale (I should have just ponied up the $90! Cheap-o!), so I told him shipping it was ok, though I was certain it would be the death knell of the book.

The book arrives, and thankfully, even though the packaging was usual comic store packaging, the book managed to arrive with just a slight NCB dent along the right edge of the front cover. I worked my press magic on it, and then waited for the right opportunity. That opportunity came up, and this is what I got. :cloud9:

RMA20DD201682098002_zpsdrn0j9dn.jpg

This is one of about 10 copies I own. DD #168 was notoriously poorly produced, as many of you know, and 9.8s of this book are genuinely tough books to find. So, when the opportunity came up, I picked the four best looking copies I had, and went to work on all of them, including a de-slabbed 9.4. This one I set aside, because it had some very, very tiny CB spine tics in the center of the spine, and thought that, though it was a for sure 9.6, that was all it could get.

I worked and worked and worked on the other three, but they just had small, unfixable problems, like a small foxing dot on the back cover of one of them that, of course, can't be removed. I was hoping I could improve the books enough to tip them over the edge to 9.8s, even with the dot, but at the end, they were all still 9.4-9.6. So, I turned to the one I had set aside first, and figured "oh well, I might as well sub the solid 9.6 and get that."

Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised by the grade. Maybe it's a gift grade, maybe I just overthought it. I second guess my books a lot.

Many thanks to my benefactor. :)

Useless trivia dept: did you know that the actual title of DKR is "Batman: The Dark Knight"? It's been called The Dark Knight Returns, referring to the whole series, since the beginning and even CGC calls it "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" for all four issues, but according to the indicia (which is what CGC nearly always refers to) it's just "Batman: The Dark Knight."

You won't find "Returns" anywhere in the title or indicia of books two-four.

And even more technically...there shouldn't be an issue number...the books are referred to as "Book One", "Book Two" and so on.

So, the title actually should be on the label: "Batman: The Dark Knight Book One."

Useless trivia!

:D