• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sfilosa starts to cash out.

218 posts in this topic

That is THE question, but it doesn't really matter b/c I am not selling them (barring extremely unfortunate circumstances)!!! I am sure there will be SOME market correction on slabbed books, we are already seeing it on the modern books and some of the bronze. I stuck with the pedigrees b/c I felt that these had the best chance of retaining their "value". The exception was the 66 based on the fact that there were only 3 graded in 9.4 or better with the other 2 in 9.6, so I'll just hold on to this one until the pedigreed ones come along... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Im sorry, that wasnt directed at you exactly, though of course I now realize you are the one laying out the cash... I was only tweaking Doug for his boundless certainty about future price increases in the wake of what has already happened the past few years. Buying the best has always been the safest policy... so youre in great shape on that account!

The exception was the 66 based on the fact that there were only 3 graded in 9.4 or better with the other 2 in 9.6, so I'll just hold on to this one until the pedigreed ones come along...

I'm glad you got that one. I owned the CGC 9.2 Western Penn copy and the White Mountain and Northland copies are only CGC 9.2's. Doug owns the CGC 9.6 Pacific Coast, so you might have to just stay with a lowly non-pedigree CGC 9.4 for now (ha, ha). That was a great pick-up on your part because if you didn't get this copy, you probably were not going to get an opportunity for another CGC 9.4 for years to come.

The only issue I could not get even in CGC 9.4 is #77, as there are no 9.4's and only two 9.6's (and those aren't going anywhere anytime soon).

Most collectors seem to feel that HG SA is still the place to be in terms of future price appreciation, whereas GA has nowhere to go but down as the older generation leaves the hobby.

Excellent.......the old Jedi mind trick is working according to my plan. 893applaud-thumb.gif

1106137-Darth-Vader.jpg

1106137-Darth-Vader.jpg.4147c8ca3c7920b40f952e6e8cd7085c.jpg

welcome to the boards! Have you been collecting long? What are your goals? besides having fun!

I collected comic books from about 1985 until about 1995...I mostly acquired garbage and have boxes of New Warriors, Darkhawk, Guardians of the Galaxy etc...I also collected Valiant...got in early, so I didn't pay a lot except for my Magnus 12 (90)...I then started collecting Magic the Gathering when it first came out. I was also a player (I still play sealed deck tourneys when the new sets come out) so it was a lot of fun seeing my Beta Black Lotus skyrocket in value. I just got into too many things at once with comics, baseball cards, autographs, collectible toys (the 90's Star Wars POF figures were very kind to me (especially the Fan Club figures and Leia in the slave girl outfit 893applaud-thumb.gif)

I stopped collecting pretty much everything to get married, have kids, and buy a house.

In the last year I got back into collecting and decided to just stick to silver and bronze keys and certain runs in only high grade. I got burned a few times on ebay with "NM" books that were VG's and have decided to stick to CGC graded books until I know who I can trust as far as grades. I buy and sell under the name billandedsdeals on ebay.

As for my collecting goals...right now it's just TTA issues 59-101 pedigreed in 9.4 or better.

That should keep me busy for a while and after that Hulk 1-6 8.0 or better and 102-145 9.6 or better.

I apologize if this is sign-offtopic.gif but just wanted to answer the question!!

I have learned more about comics in 2 months on these boards than I learned in 20 years of collecting... thumbsup2.gif

no problem, and not off topic at all! Sounds like a plan! Its good to hear of a former collector coming back and willing to go after the best... Lots of discussion around here as to just what's going to happen in the future. Your experience is a solid vote against despair and doom...

After the Hulk, what s next? Hulk crossovers? Have you already read all these stories? [/quote

I have reader to VF copies of the entire run and have read them all...After these runs I will probably look at going after the Hulk vs Thing battles (I already have the Hulk 122 9.4 Winnepeg) in FF and JIM 112 along with the early Avengers books...then maybe some bronze like ASM 119,120 Defenders 1-10 etc...

After that, who knows...I'll probably start then to upgrade copies of books that I have currently Daredevil 7, ASM 121 122, Sgt Fury 13...

Steve:

I'm happy that you are moving in whatever direction you feel is best.

I've long been of the opinion that less of my money should be in comics, or tied up there... and as I've been doing the last couple of months, I have been in total sell mode. There's just so little that seems interesting in silver/bronze because you realize the supply, in nice 9.0 - 9.4 is essentially endless and basically can be acquired at any time.

Now prices are still relatively healthy, though not what they were two years ago. Will slabs still be meaningful in 5 or 10 years? We don't know. Will that cause the market to dip? Perhaps. The bottom line is that to tie up large quantities of money in a hobby, any hobby for that money, is becoming a very low priority for me, and has turned more into an investment or business than I'd ever like. So I'd be willing to divest myself.

The guy selling the 3rd best Marvel run, the ASM collection sold by Metro's Steve Filosa's collection etc., etc. there seem to be a lot of nice runs up for sale, and just an increasing need to extricate oneself from the high end of the hobby. Why be there anymore?

And one day, if you decide you want that nice run -- it will be offered again. I like comics as much as the next person... but I love the other opportunities that exist out there and the great places to put your money and things to enjoy that have nothing to do with comics.

Well put Brian...one thing to remember is that many people on these boards have done their time with certain genre's in the hobby. You, me or Steve may have gotten tired of collecting one thing but that has not stopped us from being collectors....we just evolve. I was X men insane 2 years ago (like Tomega) insane.gif but have turned my focus to a little of everything....GA, SA BA and MA....I now collect what i love cloud9.gifand not a run in particular....I would say that we are far from a crash type mentality...and before anyone accuses me of being an apologist, understand that i am writing this from a factual point of view....I sold several hi end books from my collection in the past 2 months (because of upgrades or change in collecting interests) and most of them were gp record sales...and none were highest graded! I had 8.5 books go for 9.0 prices etc.

I think it's important to step back and see the forest....lots of big guns are leaving, but lots are getting into it now as well....there are plenty of SA collectors that still love SA, and given the popularity of the movies and new comic sales, looks like there will be for some time to come...

Roy.

Now prices are still relatively healthy, though not what they were two years ago.

This is so true for the books that I collect, but unfortunately not in the way that you mean. HG SA DC and Ducks are currently going for prices that I couldn't have fathomed 2 years ago. I never used to get outbid, and now I get outbid ALL THE TIME. frustrated.gif

I agree I've seen HG SA DC go up -- in certain areas. And for certain books. But I'm taking a more global view.

Globally speaking, other than HG mid- to late-SA Marvels and BA Marvels below 9.6 (where supply has drowned out demand as was long predicted), where has the price depreciation been taking place?

I'm getting very healthly bids on many of the TTA's. Will I make a profit on most, probably not, but that's because I paid high prices and have to factor in the sales commission. Will I break even or make a small profit on the total run, probably.

So far I'm pretty happy with the bids / sales I'm getting, so I'm not seeing a crash by any means. A flattening out of prices, probably.

I also knew, of all the runs I have, this would be the one that I would make the least profit.

that's a massive part of the market you just described Tim. And I think it affects many BA Marvels including 9.6 and don't forget modern slabs as well. Plus GA for the most part has remained relatively constant -- no real growth except for the narrow set of books which are rare or highly sought after (Timelys like Cap or All Winners).

I agree I've seen HG SA DC go up -- in certain areas. And for certain books. But I'm taking a more global view.

Globally speaking, other than HG mid- to late-SA Marvels and BA Marvels below 9.6 (where supply has drowned out demand as was long predicted), where has the price depreciation been taking place?

About six months ago, some acquaintences of mine locally decided to sell their gorgeous custom home that they had put so much time and money into.

They were astute enough to realize where the market would be in the future, and that they had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to sell their home for much more then they put into it and "cash-in". So they did. They are now renting a brand new four bedroom home for $1,100/mth.

But more importantly, as they found out from their Realtor, the buyer was using tons of leverage to acquire the property, and they figured they would have an opportunity within the next couple of years to reacquire their dream home, for a whole lot less.

They are indeed astute people.

I've met Steve, and I think he is pretty astute himself.

But more importantly, as they found out from their Realtor, the buyer was using tons of leverage to acquire the property, and they figured they would have an opportunity within the next couple of years to reacquire their dream home, for a whole lot less.

They are indeed astute people.

I've met Steve, and I think he is pretty astute himself.

So...all similiar examples aside...you think a major downward correction to comic prices is on the horizon? Even on extreme pedigree comics such as Steve's? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim