• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sfilosa starts to cash out.

218 posts in this topic

From Pedigree's site.....

ASTONISHING Tales to Astonish Weekend!!! - Pedigree Comics has just finalized a consignment deal for an astonishing run of "Tales to Astonish". It is a near-complete, CGC certified, high grade run of the popular Silver Age Ant-Man/Giant-Man and Incredible Hulk/Sub-Mariner title and includes 64 books out of the total 67 issue run that began with the first Ant-Man in costume in issue #35. This set is the second best one according to the CGC Registry and includes a whopping 56 out of the 64 comics in ultra high grade condition (9.4 or better), with 24 in 9.6 and another two in 9.8. Most of the in-demand and key issues are available in NM or better, including issue #44 in 9.4 (first appearance of the Wasp); #49 in 9.4 (Ant-Man becomes Giant-Man); #59 in 9.6 (Hulk's first appearance in the title); #70 in 9.4 (Sub-Mariner and Incredible Hulk double feature begins) and #93 in 9.6 (Hulk battles the Silver-Surfer). The run was put together by a high grade collector who had an affinity for pedigrees and a love for the title. Thus, over half of the set (38 issues) contains books from pedigreed collections such as White Mountain, Northland, Western Penn., Pacific Coast, Boston and Mile High II. With such a high composition of pedigrees you would expect many books with superb structure and above average page quality and there is only one book in the entire set with less than off-white pages. In fact, most of the books (43) have off-white to white or white page quality. Overall, this is the most significant and highest graded run of Tales to Astonish ever offered for sale. As most Marvel Silver Age collectors know, early Tales to Astonish issues are hard to come by in any grade, particularly in certified Near Mint (9.4) or higher. This is a great opporunity for collectors to pick up that elusive issue or even upgrade to a 9.4 or a 9.6 copy or obtain a pedigreed one. All 64 books will be listed on the Pedigree Comics website this weekend beginning with 22 issues on Friday evening, February 10. The remaining 44 books will appear on both Saturday and Sunday (22 each day or night) in the new arrivals section of the website.

That set is obviously Sir Steve's.

Smart move!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Why? Is the impending crash this year?

Yes. Circle April 13th on your calendar....as the 1st true indiction will come on that day. Of course...it will be much too at that point to do anything about it. gossip.gif

Yes. Circle April 13th on your calendar....as the 1st true indiction will come on that day. Of course...it will be much too at that point to do anything about it. gossip.gif

Why April 13th?

Why April 13th?

2 days before Tax deadline? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why April 13th?

2 days before Tax deadline? confused-smiley-013.gif

The OS Guide comes out? confused-smiley-013.gif

If this is true I wonder why as Steve went to great lengths to compile that run and he strikes me as a long-term collector.

My main reason is that my new job keeps me very busy and away from home during the weekdays. Plus, not being at home and having a working wife means it's very tough to have books shipped to my house. And I'm the type of person who puts a lot of energy into what I do, which is now my job.

I'm going to be selling most of my Marvels but not the GA stuff that I collect that is impossible to find. Therefore, I will still be collecting.

I am hoping that over the next decade, the job position I'm in will allow me to accumulate the type of wealth to purchase significant runs of GA and SA high graded books, all at one time. I would also like to be debt free (and I mean completely as in no mortgage payment on my house) in the next two years and that is achievable.

Do I believe a crash is coming, NO.

Do I feel that most comic books will increase in price over the next few years, NO (and I have said and thought this for about a year or two).

I'm going to be selling most of my Marvels but not the GA stuff that I collect that is impossible to find. Therefore, I will still be collecting.

I am hoping that over the next decade, the job position I'm in will allow me to accumulate the type of wealth to purchase significant runs of GA and SA high graded books, all at one time.

Steve;

Although I personally agree with your move here since I am primarily a GA collector, it seems strange since it goes counter to what most HG SA collectors and the board members normally think.

Most collectors seem to feel that HG SA is still the place to be in terms of future price appreciation, whereas GA has nowhere to go but down as the older generation leaves the hobby. With respect to your GA, are you just into the DC's and Timelys, and also just into HG or are you a bit more lenient here since it is so tough and expensive to acquire HG GA books?

Steve, sorry to see you're selling down a collection that you've put so much energy into. I hope you're able to exit at a decent price, given that you acquired many of the books only within recent years.