• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondercon, Post your Reports, AND LETS MAKE THEM GOOD!

100 posts in this topic

Small report. It was a great convention this year. Books were less picked over. More good deals, more new stock. Torpedo comics display was unreal with multiple Superman 1's and many Action Comics under 20. The blue label Action 2 in 6.0 was truely a site to behold. A clean book. Yours for the low low price of 25K.

I was able to fill in many holes in my X-Men run, including a 108 in 9.0 for $17.00, a 9.6 110 for $20, and a 112 9.4 for 12 .

DC horror was somewhat picked over but still had some good stuff. Filled in some Kaluta and many Weird War holes. Examples of some deals include a WWar 7 in 9.0-9.2 ($27), 13 9.4 ($14) 20 9.4 ($20) 25 9.2 ($9) Unexpected 136 9.2 ($20) Witching Hour 40 9.6 ($18)

Also got a great tec 402 in 8.5 for $17

Everyone seems to be pricing first Superboy prime at around $60-$75 but no takers. On the Marvel side Marvel Zombies continues to be RED HOT. With many people buying em up left and right. $20 for issue 1 $10 for 2 and $8 for the first part of the FF story was the common selling prices. This is by far Marvel's most popular book.

Thanks esp for the pricing on modern hot books! I just sold my Marvel Zombies set today for $60 (I included the Ult FF run also) and am very happy, considering I just sold 3 #1s a week ago for $10 a pop tonofbricks.gif

As to the Superboy Prime issue, I think that one is really on the way down , as it appears he is gone...plus the fact he is a 'dope' insane.gif

As to the Superboy Prime issue, I think that one is really on the way down , as it appears he is gone...

I think that's exactly what they want us to think. But there are 3 more issues, and it's only going to gain momentum. Others have come back from the Speed Force. And they never explained why it's gone now. Maybe Superboy escaped, and then destroyed it, with the other Flashes still in it. I think he'll be back (however, I'm not paying $60 for a DCP 87).

Superboy will be back... have any of you seen his action figure? It was advertised in this month's Previews. It's a bit of a spoiler, so don't look if you want to be suprised, but unless that solicitation is a hoax, he'll definitely return.

No...not yet.

That's better than a strict "no". cloud9.gif

How about Mignola & Art Adams? flowerred.gif

Chris, I know that you were having PM problems so I am posting to this thread as well as a PM I have sent.

Kevin told me that it was "not looking good for you book's" sorry.gif, BUT, N.Y. looks to be getting Miller as well,

so Kevin will be trying there for you. You may want to confirm this with Mr. Boyd.

Here is my Sunday only Con Report,

First, let me say, Torpedo Comics had some incredible books. Despict many of the keys being restored, it reminded me of the early San Diego cons where multiple keys were found everywhere. The people at the booth were also very friendly. Just some highlights from their booth, Two Batman 1s, Marvel comics 1, 3 copies of Flash 1, one was a 9.0 with slight restoration. Two Superman 1s, Two World's Best. Several of each Marvel Key. Their display equipment was the best I have ever seen!

I didn't get to talk to as many people as I hoped, but met a few folks. I finally met Marc from House of Comics. Super nice guy but we couldn't talk to long because he was busy.

I ran in to Howard Rockman whom I have known for more years than I care to admit and had a nice chat. I also got to meet Brent from Quality Comics who is a super nice guy and had some great books. I should have asked what he wanted for the Spiderman 101, 9.2 but it slipped mind mind while we were talking. I need to send him my upgrade list of Batman's and missing Detectives. I also got the chance to introduce myself to Matt Nelson as he has done some work on a few of my books in my personal collection.

Spoke to Bill at Rebeards for a bit. He said the new location for the convention was harder to load and unload at. He had a nice range of books but nothing I couldn't live without. Also saw Harley who had his usual assortment of books from all genre (Human Torch 1!), but no Detectives I was looking for. Snagged two Detectives from A-1 and three more at Terry's comics, but nothing major.

The selection of original art was similar to last year, maybe a tad less. Prices were really high, but that is understandable. One of the neatest things I saw was a page from World's Finest 73 (I think) for $575. No superheros in it, but it had that classic style from the Golden age. Also, a wide range of covers at several stands, but again, no one was giving stuff away. This marks my first Wondercon in four years that I did not walk out the door with Original art!

I think the name was Koops Comics, but they had some nice stuff and they were very friendly, but again, nothing that grabbed me (they did have two Detectives I needed at a very reasonable price, but the condition was a little too low). They also had several boxes of Horror, but I didn't look through them.

This year, it seemed there was less golden age than past years, more CGC books, but less key CGC books, and a TON more new stuff (DVDs, Figures Shirts, Swords, etc). A few people were selling animation software and comic book database software.

Overall, a good con (not great). I was able to talk to a few people (I hope to attend the forum dinner next year). I also got confirmation on the history of several books I was looking at bidding on in an upcoming auction which is nice so I can adjust my bid accordingly. For me, that is the great part of the cons, meeting up with people I have known and catching up and meeting new folks and seeing what they collect and just talking.

ONE MAJOR SHOUT OUT TO ALL THE

CALIFORNIA BOARD MEMBERS!!!!

JIM1968, THANKS FOR LUNCH. AND BEING A FRIEND. flowerred.gif

SUPAPIMP, RESPECT FOR THE WAY YOU"REPRESENT". hail.gif

MARK, FROM HOUSE OF COMICS.COM, GREAT TO MEET YOU! thumbsup2.gif

CW, 'DAD' & FRIEND, SO WISE FOR ONE SO YOUNG. grin.gif.... poke2.gif

JBUD73, GOOD SEEN YOU AGAIN. headbang.gif

JIM94, NOW I HAVE A FACE TO GO WITH A NAME. 27_laughing.gif

AND SPECIAL THANKS TO KEVIN BOYD, FOR MAKING IT TO WONDERCON. hi.gif

Sleeping

Just got home - it was a long 3 days. Spent a lot of money, bought a lot of books, took a lot of pictures devil.gif, ate a lot of food, drank a lot of everything, smoked, um er. Full con report with all the scans, pics and books tomorrow.

hi.gif

Mignola yes, Adams yes.

Actually it was everybody yes...AlexH - even more sigs than you bargained for. JH Williams also signed your Seven Soldiers O - Grant Morrison and Ryan Sook signed your Zatanna 1.

Miller, no. Got a few Jim Lees. All Millers and Lees will be shipped to New York for NYCC later this month.

Mignola yes, Adams yes.

Actually it was everybody yes...AlexH - even more sigs than you bargained for. JH Williams also signed your Seven Soldiers O - Grant Morrison and Ryan Sook signed your Zatanna 1.

Miller, no. Got a few Jim Lees. All Millers and Lees will be shipped to New York for NYCC later this month.

For those Signature Series collectors, be it for your own collection or to sell, we owe Kev and the individuals who assisted a big thank you for what they accomplished for us. For those who've never been to a major US con, acquiring signatures for the SS label is no easy task and let me tell you, it's gotten increasingly more difficult over the past three years. The bigger the con and the bigger the creator, the greater the difficulty. And just because the creator sits in Artist Alley doesn't make the endeavor any easier. Because there's no scheduled signings for Artist Alley creators, sometimes they're not at their tables and sometimes, they may not show up at all (or they're only there for 2 of 3 days). This translates into a lot of frustrated walking back and forth to Artist Alley in search of that elusive creator.

So Kev and all, appreciate your efforts. thumbsup2.gif

Mignola yes, Adams yes.

For those Signature Series collectors, be it for your own collection or to sell, we owe Kev and the individuals who assisted a big thank you for what they accomplished for us. For those who've never been to a major US con, acquiring signatures for the SS label is no easy task and let me tell you, it's gotten increasingly more difficult over the past three years. The bigger the con and the bigger the creator, the greater the difficulty. And just because the creator sits in Artist Alley doesn't make the endeavor any easier. Because there's no scheduled signings for Artist Alley creators, sometimes they're not at their tables and sometimes, they may not show up at all (or they're only there for 2 of 3 days). This translates into a lot of frustrated walking back and forth to Artist Alley in search of that elusive creator.

893whatthe.gifsterb305.gif

Less than two weeks before New York.

When the BIG GUNS come out to play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mignola yes, Adams yes.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you Kevin. I also appreciate your efforts. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif