• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your best or favorite "Bargain Bin" find.

25 posts in this topic

As a relative NOOB, I find myself rummaging through $1 boxes and such quite often. It's alot of fun, and you really never know what you may find, case in point...today I picked up Witchblade #1 in NM condition for $3. I know it's no Hulk #181, but for $3 it was worth it. And I know i posted my Web of Spiderman #1 find from a garage sale for $1 earlier.

So what are some of your better "Bargains"?

Favorite Find:

When I first entered this forum I thought the only price variant book was Star Wars #1 and I had no interest in them (and still don't)...that being said about 2 months ago I was rummaging through the long boxes at my local shop when lo and behold...a veriatable price variant (something, something #5)...having read donut and others espousing the virtues of attaining such a book I quickly nabbed it for two bucks...now I don't know what to do with the darned thing... insane.gif

You will, of course, supply a SCAN of this book!

my favorite find(s):

1. Tales of Suspense 39 in VG for $1 at a yard sale

2. Vault of Horror 12 (first issue) in fine-ish for twenty cents at a flea market

3. Kid Colt Outlaw 205 30 cent variant for 25 cents at Tysons (they used to be there, Darth)

4. Fantastic Four 35-80 for $50 (all in VG/F or so, but still....) at a yardsale.

and 5. the best of all....

1992 Acme Con in Greensboro. Dealer blew out his "unsearched" backstock. Every book was a DIME.

Amazing Spider-Man 100-160 NM

FF 125-155 NM

Batman 200-275 NM

X-Men 94-141 NM

he was PISSED OFF when I brought those books up. I guess one of his minions didn't "unsearch" them right...paid off some grad school debts with that investment, let me tell you!

About two months ago I pulled a copy of the 1949 "Dagwood Splits the Atom" in VG to F condition out of a bargain box.

About 7-8 years ago I was psyched to find Hulk #181 for a buck at a flea market. Of course it looked like it had literally been folded in half and shoved into someone's back pocket for a couple of days, but it was still a fun (and profitable) find.

3. Kid Colt Outlaw 205 30 cent variant for 25 cents at Tysons (they used to be there, Darth)...

and 5. the best of all....

1992 Acme Con in Greensboro. Dealer blew out his "unsearched" backstock. Every book was a DIME.

Amazing Spider-Man 100-160 NM

FF 125-155 NM

Batman 200-275 NM

X-Men 94-141 NM

he was PISSED OFF when I brought those books up. I guess one of his minions didn't "unsearch" them right...paid off some grad school debts with that investment, let me tell you!

Kid Colt Outlaw was at Tysons? tongue.gif The good ol' days...weren't the market value for those books in your #5 find really around a $1 in 1992, since they were not black and white or Valiant comics? wink.gif

-Almost all of my Western and Horror 30 cent variants (many also from Tysons, Darth.)

-GL/GA 76 $2.

-a stack of old FOOM posters for 25 cents each

-my last stack of 35 cent variants (32 issues for less than $80)

Not a bargain bin, but I picked up a Bark's Donald Ducks' Atom Bomb plus the other 3 books in the series, along with the mailer, for $45.

Well,..my finds aren't as big as you guys but i've done OK. I found some pretty rare variant valiant trade papebacks. I found a bunch of early 100 bullets backissues at cover price at the local comic store. I know all of that doesn't sound like a big deal but it saved me considerable money.

I found Ultimate Spider-man issues #1 - #5 in NM at a local Belgian comic shop a full year after they were released for cover...which was nice cloud9.gif

2. Vault of Horror 12 (first issue) in fine-ish for twenty cents at a flea market

If we're allowed to list flea market finds...

I got a stack of 60 Golden Age books at a flea market in 1998.

The guy wanted $3 each, so I paid $180 and walked out with them all.

No key issues in there, but they were mostly VG copies of Blackhawk...

a few Wonder Woman, a couple Detectives, and five Blonde Phantom (Timely).

All books were dated 1944-1952, so there's almost nothing in that time period

that's not worth $3 in any condition.

The Blonde Phantoms were in the best shape (luckily) and I sent them to CGC.

A couple got 6.5, but the others were 4.0, 4.5, and 5.0.

Each of those books was sold for more than the original $180, each.

I sold the others "raw" in 1998 on Ebay (yeah, "back in the day").

I did keep a souvenir from my find...Funny Stuff mini-comic, 1946 Wheaties giveaway...

Overall, I made about $50 per book, so my $180 flea market find brought in $3k.

Can you guess what I spent it on? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifooo.gifblush.giftongue.gif