• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are DC playing at?

19 posts in this topic

Reading Lighthouse's post about marvels big profits (mainly due to movie success, not comic book sales) has got me thinking.

What does everyone think about a huge media company like Time Warner (DC's owners) letting Marvel get the jump on them as far as comic book movie's go?

What is the story, are DC just gonna sit on their hands and let Marvel rake in the profits while the trend lasts? insane.gif

For a long time, DC had the jump on marvel in the 70s and 80s... now it seems it's Marvel's time to shine. For various reasons there have been problems with getting a -script, a director etc. If done well, I think DC has the characters that would be even more appealable to a mass audience. Although Spider Man certainly is the closest Marvel character with that appeal... Superman and Batman are two of the most recognizable characters in the world. I hope that DC gets its act together... because it would be thrilling to see those characters done well on the big screen again. I'd particularly like to see a new take on Batman.

Superman and Batman are two of the most recognizable characters in the world. I hope that DC gets its act together... because it would be thrilling to see those characters done well on the big screen again.

DC has a great stable of characters, some of which have never made it to the big screen. The time is definately ripe for those movies to get made, but do Time Warner really have the comitment to do it? When they bought DC, my understanding was that the comic books were being considered as mearly a testing ground for characters they could use in movies. But this does not seem to have happened, what gives. confused.gif

Maybe DC needs to try hiring actor/actresses that charge less than $12-20 million + a jet per picture. Time Warner will go broke trying to hit a home run with an A-list cast & a B-grade film. sumo.gif

Maybe DC needs to try hiring actor/actresses that charge less than $12-20 million + a jet per picture. Time Warner will go broke trying to hit a home run with an A-list cast & a B-grade film. sumo.gif

actually they can forget actors and actresses. i hate DC but i think the Justice league on Cartoon Network is great. they should adapt that to the big screen, hype it up so that kids want to go with/without parents and they should do respectably with this. less returns to be sure but less outlay also. the net profit still comes in great

It's not even how much they're going to pay the star of the film even, but it seems as if there's an ungodly amount of trouble getting a -script together... or anything else that would get the film going... we've heard more rumors about the beginning of superman or batman films but as yet, no results.

I think superman redone could be fantastic but the rumors i've been hearing..-script problems, casting issues (Josh Hartnett as supes? blech), trouble finding a director, etc..

The Batman franchise is pretty screwed in my opinion. They really REALLY burned their bridges with the last couple of movies. It's become a parody of DC comics rather than the Batman we have come to know and love. It'll take a lot of work to make it respectable again which is a shame.

Other than that..I think D.C. is hit or miss with its other characters. Green Lantern has some promise but they need to make it believable in a real world context. It's a little too esoteric for people who don't understand the DC universe though.

Green arrow? Hrm..might look incredibly silly on the big screen.

JLA has promise but if you're going to combine all these big superheros there is going to be budget and casting problems. Not to mention it'll take lots of work to bridge the creative gap to make the audience understand what's going on.

Personally, I would love for them to do a Sandman or Swamp thing movie (remake) DC's vertigo line is VERY ripe for adaptation. 100 bullets is a great candidate too..

The Batman franchise is pretty screwed in my opinion. They really REALLY burned their bridges with the last couple of movies. It's become a parody of DC comics rather than the Batman we have come to know and love. It'll take a lot of work to make it respectable again which is a shame.

Batman and Robin Movie Reminded me of the old Campy 60 Series.

Skates in the shoes? Batman Credit card? I was waiting for him to do the Batusi.

I think superman redone could be fantastic but the rumors i've been hearing..-script problems, casting issues (Josh Hartnett as supes? blech),

Apparently Josh Hartnett was offered, and turned down, the role of Superman. The search continues............

Batman and Robin Movie Reminded me of the old Campy 60 Series.

Same..

The problem with the Batman franchise was that it didn't know what it wanted to be.

It went from mild "Frank Miller" drama in Batman 1 and 2 under the wings of Tim Burton to superhero camp in 3 and 4. It was too schizophrenic, the studios didn't put the films in the hands of consistent competent directors. Tim Burton is allright, but he's more of a one-shot movie maker rather than a franchise creator.

One good solid "serious" Batman movie could restart the franchise. We are almost a decade removed from Batman and Robin. One good movie could turn it around in my opinion.

Jim

I suspect the Batman movie franchise is done for the moment. In another ten or twenty years it could be revived, but not at the moment.

As far as DC movies go, I'd love to see the following:

Green Lantern: Done well as a non-campy SF, action-adventure movie, I think he would do well, especially given the level of CGI possible now. The problem with GL is that even comic pros can't get him right most of the time and Hollywood is notorious for not getting things right.

Jonah Hex: A gritty western. Need I say more.

Sandman: There's a -script in the works, somewhere. Apparently Neil Gaiman read an inital -script and didn't make it past the first few pages before he rejected it. Give it to Tim Burton and let him make another one of those dark masterpieces.

Hellblazer: Actually, let's make this a one hour TV series.

I heard at one time (maybe late 80's), they were discussing doing a "Watchmen" movie w/ Gene Hackman as the Comedian and Robert Redford as Ozymandius (sp?), which, IMO, is some great casting.

Unfortunately, the story is so deep and covers so much, it would have been incredibly difficult to condense it into even a 2-1/2 hr. movie, so the idea was scrapped. (Better not to make it, than to leave too much out).

Chris